Hitch or Un-Hitch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitch or Un-Hitch?

We are full timers in a 2014 29 5-K, we have been full timing a little over two years now. My question is how many of you out there when staying only one night in a RV Park un hitch your 5er? We were told when we purchased ours never put the slides out until the unit is level. I have noticed that a lot of people leave their RV's hooked up, put their slides out and at least hook up electric. Does this hurt anything? It sure would make things easier while doing " The one night stay over". Thoughts and suggestions really appreciated, thanks in advance...Steve
    Steve & Susan
    2013 Chev 3500 Club Cab
    Duramax 6.6 Litre Turbo V-8 Allison 6-spd Auto Trans
    2014 Arctic Fox 29 5-K, B&H Companion Hitch
    Welcome to our campsite where marshmallows get toasted and so do our guest….

If the rig is pretty much level I'll stay hitched and just drop the stabilizers.
    Warren & Claudia
    2011 Fox Mountain 235RLS
    2005 Dodge 2500, 2WD, Short-box, Cummins, 4 Speed Automatic.

Comment

Many times while only staying one night (RV park, rest area, parking lot), we stay hooked up after finding a level area.

If we are lucky enough to safely put a slide out, we try and put the bedroom out.

We usually don't put down the stabilizers for just a one night stay, if leaving 1st thing in the morning.
      Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

I stay hooked up, if I need any adjustments I'll just roll the TV or TT up on some of the plastic stacking blocks to get it close. It is easier for me though My slide is not a deep one. I also won't pay to overnight to do this, If I'm paying I'll set up/hook up.
        George and Carrie
        2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 Powerstroke, BTS trans, DPTuner, Tru-kool 40k BTU cooler, TurboSmart waste-gate actuator,V and mod'd B code leaf springs, Prodigy P2 Controller, Blue Ox 1500lb hitch, 202k
        2007 AF 26Z-2, 507 TPMS, 225-75-16 E BFG Commercials LT's, 1 Yamaha EF2000is
        1998 21' SeaRay 210 Signature Series

Comment

We don't unhook or put out our slides. In our 29L we have access to the bed and bathroom thru the back door. The only thing I unhook is the electric so there is no chance of running down the batteries in the pu.
          * Ron & Jeane, 2001 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins, Auto, Dana80, 3.54, Laramie, Slt, 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch. 2009 Arctic Fox 29 L, with many modifications.

Comment

I've gotten into the habit of going the whole distance and unhooking completely and leveling. It's whatever you're used to I guess. Me, I try not to rush, so I take the long way 'round.
            Jim & Grace
            2011 2500HD 6.6L Duramax, Edge Evolution Programmer
            2016 AF 27-5L, Hensley BD-3 Hitch, 4 Point Leveling, Titan Disc Brakes
            2008 Miniature Golden Doodle

I thought growing old would take longer....

Comment

I have never been concerned extended the slide level or not. Parking lots, rest areas and pullouts some a long way from level. Moved with slide partially out from the plant over to Hot Springs. Northwood said not to be concerned. Stayed hitched with slides extended for overnights many times.

Woods
              07 Fox 31WRB, Aria, AGMs, RPowerTwins, Heatpumps, Maxxfans, Sur eflow 57, 50amp, dualpane, Reese nocam trunnion, more.
              04 6.0L 4X4 Excursion. AirLifts, Vair, ARC, XCal3, EGRfix, 4A pillar Cobalts, AFE, MBRP, Hadley, Bilsteins, Brakesmart, Colorado's Monarch Pass Avatar

Comment

We have done it several times. Even used the auto level while still hooked on a pretty level pad which the manf says not to do.
                Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

Related to the slides, are the steps. To leave out or fold in, that sometimes is the question.

If staying at a rest area / truck stop type of environment, we get worried that another RV or truck won't see the black steps, while entering after dark.

Awhile back, we put white reflective tape on the steps to make them more visible and sometimes put out a large orange cone (compliments of the State of Washington Transportation Department) near the step.
                  Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

While our RV is a trailer, not a 5th wheel it still has a slide. Lots of times we couldn't put the slide all the way out because of bush or tree or whatever. Yes, directions say to only use only all the way out. Probably a manufacture CYA type thing. And I asked on here because wife kept telling me what directions said. Never had a problem putting out slide just some so we could get around in entire RV. I did have a problem when rain was coming down sideways one time. Couple paper towels to wipe up drips because the seal didn't block because seals didn't get enough room to "flip and seal".

I do unplug elec cord from truck to trailer. Its OK not to unplug on 95% of newer trucks because of electronic's, but I feel better unplugging. For a reminder to plug back in I have a 3x5 card that I put on the seat. One side of 3x5 card has height of RV and other side says...Don't forget pre-trip, elec plug and water pump off! Then after doing all that stuff , the 3x5 card goes in sun visor with my height looking at me. I can glance at my height when driving by just looking at sun visor. Strange thing is after about 2 days I wonder why I have height even written down. But just in case type thing.

More about slides....Wife has one of those small brooms, like a doll house broom. That little broom is as tall as our slide is wide. Makes perfect measuring stick to see if slide will have enough clearance or not.

That post about slides is here

http://www.nroa2003.com/forum/forum/...ess-to-trailer
                    Last edited by missygirl; 12-03-2016, 09:20 PM. Reason: added link
                    "look for Edit Signature and put in at least your model and year of trailer and truck"

2001 Dodge 3/4 ton 2013 25W Arctic Fox

Comment

Thanks to everyone's thoughts. It gives food for thought and will help us decide what we will do, thanks again.
                      Steve & Susan
                      2013 Chev 3500 Club Cab
                      Duramax 6.6 Litre Turbo V-8 Allison 6-spd Auto Trans
                      2014 Arctic Fox 29 5-K, B&H Companion Hitch
                      Welcome to our campsite where marshmallows get toasted and so do our guest….

Comment

Working...
                      X