Boondocking at Apgar question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boondocking at Apgar question

Hi all, I'm headed for Apgar campground next month and wondered about the campground. I have solar that works great but I don't know if the sites are open, shaded or partially shaded. Should I rely on my solar or is a generator a must have? I wont be in the camper during the day but the nights will be cool and I'm sure I'll want to run the heater some. I also have a Little Buddy heater that heats the camper pretty well.

I boondocked at Kettle Moraine State Forest in Wisconsin for 2 weeks and the solar held up just fine, even using the heater a bit. But there I had 3-4 hours of direct sun most days.

Looking for some advice from people who have been at Apgar in Glacier. Do I need to purchase a generator for the trip?

D
    2012 F350 XL Supercab, 6.2L, 4.3 Axle, DRW, 4X4, 13,300 GVWR, Slide-In Camper Certified, Hellwig Bigwig sway bar, Torklift Stable Loads, Torklift tie-downs, Fastguns, custom Reading utility bed. AF 1150, wet bath, solar. Follow along at http://newadventuresofolddave.blogspot.com/sigpic

I have not been in/through the campground itself, but driving by on the Going To the Sun road: it appeared heavily wooded.
    Try Google Maps feeding it the Lat,Lon values = 48.52678, -113.980946 then zoom in with Satellite view.

You might try a rental: http://www.midwayrental.com/equipmen...y=38&key=GEN3K
    ( you may need to have cookies enabled to get a cost quote ).
    Their rental center I know of is in Kalispell MT, but they may have others in the region.
    See also their FAQ page regarding number of hours run time included in a "day" of rental: http://www.midwayrental.com/forms.asp
    -- David

Purpose: www.davidmc.org
    Home: 2007 Arctic Fox 27E which dutifully follows a 2007 Dodge RAM 2500 to new neighborhoods.

Comment

The exposure to the sun is going to depend on your particular campsite. Those trees are really tall.

Check this out:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ICn9ZiKb1c

You need to be ready to share with the mountain goats.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alaska 2004 506.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	190424

And if it gets a little cold at night, you can snuggle up with one of the local bears!
      *Ron & Deb Nielson
      2008 Silverado 2500HD CCLB SRW Duramax/Allison, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Bilstein 5100, Kennedy Custom Tuned ECM
      2009 Silver Fox AF29-5T SteadyFast Stabilizer System

Comment

We stayed at Apgar after picking up our 22g last September. Lake MacDonald was the most jaw dropping view I ever saw - and we just stood there gazing for the longest time. My most cherished picture of our whole trip IMHO. The deer were right up against our TT at Apgar but by the time I found my camera and took the shot, they were across the road. I was glad we had the generator (as we ran the heat at night) even if only for peace of mind. . Unbeknownst to us, we had a faulty generator/solar panel install that had a never-connected wire to the inverter - so by the time we hit Yellowstone - in the middle of the night, as it was snowing - we were dead in the water and several hundred miles from the dealer who did the install! Love that boondocking! Have a great trip! Regards, Linda
        Attached Files
        lafifer -Bob & Linda
        2005 Northwood Nash 16c (trading in 0n 09-11-2015 for...
        wait for it...2016 Arctic Fox 22G!) Gonna miss the old Nash - she was good to us!
        1999 Dodge Durango, V-8

Comment

Sailor Dave,
          Hubby said to tell you he said you can't go wrong with a generator - even if it's to power the A/C in a Walmart parking lot! Lol Better to have and not need than to need and not have! Bob & Linda
          lafifer -Bob & Linda
          wait for it...2016 Arctic Fox 22G!) Gonna miss the old Nash - she was good to us!
          1999 Dodge Durango, V-8

Comment

http://www.campgroundviews.com/listi...ar-campground/ will give you a better idea of what you will see (or not) for trees at your campsite. If all else fails, call them - (406) 888-7800 and ask about your specific site. I remember from past trips to Glacier that there are LOTS of very tall trees at Apgar. You may get lucky and find an open site.
            *Ron & Deb Nielson
            2008 Silverado 2500HD CCLB SRW Duramax/Allison, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Bilstein 5100, Kennedy Custom Tuned ECM
            2009 Silver Fox AF29-5T SteadyFast Stabilizer System

Comment

From our experience at Glacier, the sites were "grab it if it's empty" - park ranger comes through to make sure you filled out your site tag. Of course that was in September so there were empty spots to grab! Hope you find the ideal spot to make your solar panels sing!
              lafifer -Bob & Linda
              1999 Dodge Durango, V-8

Comment

Working...
              X