• Show
Clear All

• Boondocking Tip

Baby Wipes!
    1998 Nash 22G
    2014 Silverado 1500 4X4 Crew Cab

Ok, I'll bite. What?

Comment

If your talking about bathing while dry camping, I have found these to be very nice. Heavy weight and larger than a baby wipe.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...(8)&product=13
      2012 F350 XL Supercab, 6.2L, 4.3 Axle, DRW, 4X4, 13,300 GVWR, Slide-In Camper Certified, Hellwig Bigwig sway bar, Torklift Stable Loads, Torklift tie-downs, Fastguns, custom Reading utility bed. AF 1150, wet bath, solar. Follow along at http://newadventuresofolddave.blogspot.com/sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the comebacks. I was just checking to see if any boondockers were currently hooked up to electricity as there was an absence of activity on this thread page.
        Sailor Dave has the experience with the wipes. Those he posted about are interesting, but still about $2 per shower! Can't beat a case of CostCo wipes!
        In about 350 nights in our camp trailer since 2002, we haven't been too close to RV hookups very often--except when we went to SD chasing pheasant a couple years past.
        What else is a handy tip for boondocking?
        Bill
        1998 Nash 22G

Comment

$5.00 / 8 wipes is about 62 cents each ... ... ?

Of course, a wash cloth wet down from a tea-kettle can also be effective (for cleaning and cost wise).
          Cheap Walmart wash-cloth about $0.18 each - at least 3 months use; tea-kettle under $10 over 30+ years (almost nil on per-day basis).
          Water usage is about 1 pint.

Presently at ( 43.985582,-97.170212 ), feed numbers to Google Maps, switch to satellite view.
          But images will not show 3 plus inches of ice topped with a couple inches of snow.
          On about 15th day with electricity intermittantly since July 2012 -- fulltimer. Happily have power here until can escape out the 1 mile drive to a regular cleared roadway.
          -- David

Purpose: www.davidmc.org
          Home: 2007 Arctic Fox 27E which dutifully follows a 2007 Dodge RAM 2500 to new neighborhoods.

Comment

I prefer these as they create less trash than using more of other wipes. And when dry camping you might have to store your trash and haul it out. Of course ther is always the "navy" shower. Or even a solar shower bag as options.

Of course there is always LED lighting, solar panels, a small inverter to charge the cell phone and computer. A cell phone signal amplifier system to stay in touch and use the internet. A propane heating system other than the furnace which sucks too much juice from the batteries. Lightweight, synthetic cloth clothing and towles that will wash easily and dry quickly. And of course that cast iron duch oven for those great meals.
            2012 F350 XL Supercab, 6.2L, 4.3 Axle, DRW, 4X4, 13,300 GVWR, Slide-In Camper Certified, Hellwig Bigwig sway bar, Torklift Stable Loads, Torklift tie-downs, Fastguns, custom Reading utility bed. AF 1150, wet bath, solar. Follow along at http://newadventuresofolddave.blogspot.com/sigpic

Comment

I couldnt go with out the tea pot, David. Hot chocolate, soups, and coffee using the Melita non-electric drip pot.

The wipes I use require no rinsing and I like that as well. Yes, the cost is a bit more but I can handle that.

Oh, and Camp Soap! Great stuff for washing yourself, your hair, your laundry and dishes. A little goes a long way and it bio-degradable.

Comment

I always saw boondocking more like camping than RV'ing and there is a lot of good camping items that can be adapted. Prefering to stay in state parks or government lands, I've considered myself more of a full time camper than an RV'er. LOL

Comment

I guess camping is more like what we do too. On the High Desert of eastern OR or even around the coast where we have a stick home, we seldom stay in a campground of any kind--they just don't make em where we need em!
                  That is why the wipes, tea pots, generator and other stuff is so handy. But, it is sometimes necessary to go to a town, like Burns, John Day, Winchester Bay or Coos Bay to restock on necessary supplies and dispose everything that can't be burnt in a campfire..
                  There was one time a couple years back, when faced with blizzard and closed roads, we were forced to stay in Cabella's RV Park in Sidney, Nebraska. Now that was rough--but only due to running short on funds!
                  1998 Nash 22G

Comment

I don't think we could camp in a Cabela's lot without melting the credit card! Too much temptation.......

We too boondock 99.9% of the time, mostly in eastern OR - the only hookup we have occasionally had is water near Heppner at the OHV park. We too prefer to park it where no one else is - just getting harder to find those places.

We use a catalytic heater plumbed in. A very nice source of heat after a long day out. Generator is a good backup too. Gotta love the dutch oven in the ground or over the coals, camp omelets in a Ziploc, meals made ahead and frozen.

Can't wait to get out, next month!
                    Jack and Laurie
                    2003 Duramax
                    2013 Desert Fox 27FS
                    2009 Farmall RZR
                    2010 Honda Rancher AT FPA
                    2013 Suzuki LT750Axi

Comment

Will test the baby wipe concept at Succor Creek area first week of May... ;-) Heading to the SE Oregon country. Will boon dock 80% of the time..
                      Bob & Betsy Nelson, Cove Oregon . . USN Retired . . . KE7ZRY
                      2015 GMC 3500 DRW D/A - 2012 AF 1140, toad is a 98 Tracker, Yamaha xt250 dual sport
                      Often, the Tracker is inside our 8.5 x 16' cargo trailer (aka Man Cave).
                      Avatar - the three of us beside old truck.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DavidMc View Post
                        $5.00 / 8 wipes is about 62 cents each ... ... ?

Of course, a wash cloth wet down from a tea-kettle can also be effective (for cleaning and cost wise).
                        Cheap Walmart wash-cloth about $0.18 each - at least 3 months use; tea-kettle under $10 over 30+ years (almost nil on per-day basis).
                        Water usage is about 1 pint.
                        Bad news, David--I was in Walmart yesterday and a 18-pack of washcloths are now selling for $4.00 or just over $0.22 each. I use them in the trailer (they dry a lot faster after use and at the laundromat), but DW won't yet descend to that level of deprivation.

On the positive side, I noticed Harbor Freight presently has 13"x15" shop towels on sale for $8.99 for a pack of 50--that's right, only $0.18 each, but with the ad's 20% off coupon it brings the cost to just over $0.14 each!

The question is, would a person slowly turn entirely red after 2 weeks of boondocking?
                        Last edited by dieselhorse; 06-04-2013, 01:33 PM.
                        dieselhorse: Former owner of a 2001 Nash 24-5N

Comment

I always have an empty gallon milk jug with us--it starts out with fresh water from home for coffee. I fill this jug with shower temperature water, use a bath sponge with a little soap, and can shower with that gallon or less. Could possible do the same with the shower but the jug keeps you honest about water use. With the shower I usually have to adjust water temp a few times, even with our accumulator tank giving us more even pressure. That wastes water.
                          Linda & Dave (retired US Army) and Magic, the Yellow Lab Duck Dog
                          2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i, Les Schwab 105 6-volt batteries, Maxxis Tires, Torque Lift Steps
                          2017 RAM 2500 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4, CTD, 8' Bed, Granite Crystal, new 7/1/17
                          2003 DODGE 3500 SLT Quad Cab 244K mi. SOLD 7/20/17

Comment

Or just capture the shower water while the temperature is adjusting in a clean container, bucket, etc and dump it back into your fresh water tank. Then take your shower with water of the temp you really prefer.
                            *Ron & Deb Nielson
                            2008 Silverado 2500HD CCLB SRW Duramax/Allison, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Bilstein 5100, Kennedy Custom Tuned ECM
                            2009 Silver Fox AF29-5T SteadyFast Stabilizer System

Comment

We never let water go down the drain while waiting for hot water. There is usually a pot on the stove with this water--I heat it up on the stove for washing dishes.
                              Linda & Dave (retired US Army) and Magic, the Yellow Lab Duck Dog
                              2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i, Les Schwab 105 6-volt batteries, Maxxis Tires, Torque Lift Steps
                              2017 RAM 2500 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4, CTD, 8' Bed, Granite Crystal, new 7/1/17
                              2003 DODGE 3500 SLT Quad Cab 244K mi. SOLD 7/20/17

Comment

Working...
                              X