Oregon to Nevada Route Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregon to Nevada Route Question

Several months ago I asked some general questions about the various routes from Oregon to Las Vegas in the winter, a trip we were not able to make but plan to do in the next few weeks. It is still winter, but hopefully late March / early April weather will cooperate! Decided on a Nevada route as we like the open spaces and blue highways of the west more than the shorter routes like I-5, 99, etc. And, I don't want to do the most direct route through Lassen at this time of year especially.

Has anyone done the below route this time of year? Is there anything about the route that would be helpful to know ahead of time? I have already been told to expect a couple of slow pulls up high passes on the short 50 stretch and we will look at the weather forecasts before leaving. Also, if anyone has used the BLM camping spot described below at Tonopah, what did you think? Or is there a better spot for an overnight stop in that area? Thanks!

Coming from Virgin Valley/Sheldon Nat. Wildlife opal mining campground then through Winnemucca and:
    Getting on 305 south at Battle Mountain from I-80
    305 south to 50 east at Austin
    Then 376 south to west on 6 to Tonopah
    And then south on 95
    Just south of Tonopah there is a free BLM camping spot that seems like it would be a good overnight. Just a 1/4 mile or so past the BLM district office, not far off 95. Has anyone ever used this spot? - Edit: I also just noticed a rest area about 6 or 7 miles west of Tonopah that allows overnight.

Then we will need to plan a route back!
    2001 F-350 V-10 4X4 CC 68,000 miles. Added Larger Transmission Cooler, Rear View Camera, ScanGauge II.
    2018 Nash 26N. 540W Solar, 2nd Bathroom Medicine Cabinet, Progressive Industries EMS, Two Recliners,
    2015 Nash 17K Previous

Let's Go Geocaching!

Been over some of that route and about all I can say is you really must want to be alone. I'd suggest carrying ample tools and supplies as there isn't much out there. Make sure you know where and when you can get fuel.
    Glen & Linda
    2018 27-5L Arctic Fox,
    2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD D/A 4X4 Ext Cab
    Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch
    Blogs: Ongoing: http://glelin-travels1.blogspot.com/
    Alaska: http://glelin-travels.blogspot.com/

Comment

Been through Tonopah many times. Haven't stayed in the BLM area south of town, but we usually stay overnight at the DOT rest area a couple miles north-west of town (Miller's Rest Stop) along Hwy 95.

Large gravel area, water, off the highway and quiet at night (no truckers allowed).

Like Glandlj posted, not much in that part of Nevada but desert, deserted mines & limited services.
      Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

I agree. We really like the Sheldon Nat Wildlife area for a first night stay but from there options seem limited getting down to Las Vegas. I haven't looked real closely at the route through Lassen because of the time of year. But at another time of year that may be a possibility. I do not want to go the I5 or 99 route down towards Los Angeles and then over.

I am open to other suggestions though.
        2001 F-350 V-10 4X4 CC 68,000 miles. Added Larger Transmission Cooler, Rear View Camera, ScanGauge II.
        2018 Nash 26N. 540W Solar, 2nd Bathroom Medicine Cabinet, Progressive Industries EMS, Two Recliners,
        2015 Nash 17K Previous

Let's Go Geocaching!

Comment

An option with more services would be to take I-80 from Winnemucca to US 95 down to Tonopah and on to Las Vegas. Your proposed route is the most scenic but also more susceptible to late snow, If you are not in a hurry and are prepared and like the route, go for it.

The last time I went through Austin there wasn't much there with only one gas station that wasn't always open. The restaurant left me convinced I was going to be sick the rest of the day. That has been a few years so it may be fine now.
          Glen & Linda
          2018 27-5L Arctic Fox,
          2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD D/A 4X4 Ext Cab
          Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch
          Blogs: Ongoing: http://glelin-travels1.blogspot.com/
          Alaska: http://glelin-travels.blogspot.com/

Comment

Between Tonopah and Las Vegas, is a large gas station / cafe at Amargosa Valley @ Hwy 373.

Large enough for RV's & truckers and has a large parking area for a lunch break.

From there, it's an easy 90 minutes to Vegas.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Thanks. In thinking about what Glen said I believe this route might be a little better even though about 45 minutes longer.

And I just looked at Google Earth, Dave, and you must mean the Area 51 Alien Center?
              2015 Nash 17K Previous

Let's Go Geocaching!

Comment

Originally posted by Will View Post
                Thanks. In thinking about what Glen said I believe this route might be a little better even though about 45 minutes longer.

And I just looked at Google Earth, Dave, and you must mean the Area 51 Alien Center?
                That's the place.... Fun to look around the nutty gift shop.

Comment

Great! Thanks. And this Google Earth photo of Millers Rest Stop, where do you over night?

Oh, I see now another gravel parking area at the far west end that may be it?
                  2015 Nash 17K Previous

Let's Go Geocaching!

Comment

Originally posted by Will View Post
                    Great! Thanks. And this Google Earth photo of Millers Rest Stop, where do you over night?

Oh, I see now another gravel parking area at the far west end that may be it?
                    That's the RV area. There's usually 2-3 other RV's there when we stay.

Good cellular reception. Pitch black & dead quiet at night.

Comment

Yeah Millers is great! The large gravel area is at the west'ish side of the rest area, you have to drive through the rest area to get to it.

It was an interesting place a couple of days after burning man though.
                      George and Carrie
                      2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 Powerstroke, BTS trans, DPTuner, Tru-kool 40k BTU cooler, TurboSmart waste-gate actuator,V and mod'd B code leaf springs, Prodigy P2 Controller, Blue Ox 1500lb hitch, 202k
                      2007 AF 26Z-2, 507 TPMS, 225-75-16 E BFG Commercials LT's, 1 Yamaha EF2000is
                      1998 21' SeaRay 210 Signature Series

Comment

Hi Will,

Did your route from Winnemucca down to Vegas the last week of March ~15 years ago, we had come down 78/95 from Burns. No issues, no snow but as others have said, very desolate and no traffic. I recall only see 3 or 4 other vehicles on that drive and most of them were mining company trucks.

I'm not sure what you are calling the route though Lassen but we've also done 39/139 out of K Falls down to Susanville then 395 to Reno and 95 on to Vegas the last week of March several times with no issues, might see some snow on the sides of the roads but never a issue.

Millers Rest Area a little North and West of Tonopah as other have said is a great place to stop.
                        2016 Ram 3500 Longhorn: 4X4, Crew Cab, LB, DRW, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin, 3.73, Auto Level Rear Air Suspension, Reese 20k Elite Hitch, Amp Bedstep 2, Aero 70 Gal Underbed Fuel Tank
                        2016 AF 27-5L: 10 Cu Ft Fridge, Thomas Payne Sofa w/air Mattress,15K AC, 2" Receiver, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C Surge Protector

Comment

Originally posted by RCKIN View Post
                          I'm not sure what you are calling the route though Lassen
                          Google Maps routes the quickest way off of I-5, through McCloud and Cayton on 89 then on to 44 through Lassen Nat Forest then to Susanville. It is that 89 and 44 route I am referring to.

I have never been on the 39/139 route you mention so don't know anything about its condition, passes, widths etc. It is a shorter route though by about 1-1/2 hours so is a consideration.
                          2015 Nash 17K Previous

Let's Go Geocaching!

Comment

Will here is some cameras along different routes. http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist2/cctv/allcams.shtml Generally the back side of lassen toward susanville are less of a lassen problem than the front side toward redding, the bogard cam is a good indicator of the 44 part ofthat route. They do a great job of clearing 89/44.
                            George and Carrie
                            2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 Powerstroke, BTS trans, DPTuner, Tru-kool 40k BTU cooler, TurboSmart waste-gate actuator,V and mod'd B code leaf springs, Prodigy P2 Controller, Blue Ox 1500lb hitch, 202k
                            2007 AF 26Z-2, 507 TPMS, 225-75-16 E BFG Commercials LT's, 1 Yamaha EF2000is
                            1998 21' SeaRay 210 Signature Series

Comment

Will, don't know when your trip is planned, but Hwy 89 through the Lassen NP is currently closed for the winter. Hwy 89 reaches an elevation of 8,500ft inside the park and is two lane.

Depending on the roadway snow depth, average roadway openings are in mid-May / June:

https://www.nps.gov/lavo/planyourvis...ing-update.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X