Please Visit Our Sponsors

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northwood Switching to Frameless Windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just received an email from Rob Miller at Northwood saying that all the RVs will now have the frameless windows. Has anyone seen one and how much do they open. I was looking at the 25W but am now hesitant to order a new one if the windows do not open very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Acctprof View Post
      I just received an email from Rob Miller at Northwood saying that all the RVs will now have the frameless windows. Has anyone seen one and how much do they open. I was looking at the 25W but am now hesitant to order a new one if the windows do not open very much.
      Might want to contact your dealer to confirm, but all the modern 'frameless' windows I've seen open 2"-3" on the bottom only.

Limited cross-ventilation compared to the sliding glass frames and an exhaust fan will be needed to draw fresh air in through the frameless opening.
      Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Originally posted by RocklinDave View Post

Might want to contact your dealer to confirm, but all the modern 'frameless' windows I've seen open 2"-3" on the bottom only.

Limited cross-ventilation compared to the sliding glass frames and an exhaust fan will be needed to draw fresh air in through the frameless opening.
        I thought the framed sliding windows would be the trick after my frameless windows in my last rig but they are even worse being that the sliding windows are stuck in the closed position most of the time HAHA. My rig has a permanent smell of 3-1 window rubber lubricant LOL
        2017 Chevy Duramax 3500 LTZ DRW + 50 gal Transfer flow Aux Tank + Trailer Saver BD-5
        2020 Arctic Fox 32-5m with all bells and whistles.

Comment

Originally posted by Wood Chip View Post
          ... My rig has a permanent smell of 3-1 window rubber lubricant LOL ...
          We must have the sliding windows that are pre-Lippert buy-out..... They are all still sliding without much effort.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Agreed, Chip. The Lippert thermal sliders are loathsome. Buying out Hehr and substituting their own design copy led to a degradation of quality. I’m sure that’s the reason for the switch to frameless.
            Mark and Anita
            2020 25Y dutifully following a 2014 F-350 diesel SB

Comment

I also spoke with Michael at Outdoor RVs. They are still using the same framed windows that they have always used. It seems that if Northwood and Outdoor are owned by the same people, Northwood could get sliding windows. Unless I can find a 2020 or a few years older 25W, I may be looking at an Outdoor trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Acctprof View Post
                I also spoke with Michael at Outdoor RVs. They are still using the same framed windows that they have always used. It seems that if Northwood and Outdoor are owned by the same people, Northwood could get sliding windows. Unless I can find a 2020 or a few years older 25W, I may be looking at an Outdoor trailer.
                Lippert still shows 'sliding' windows available on their website

Comment

Anyone who is familiar with the Lippert game plan, knows that they buy the better independent suppliers of RV parts and accessories, close them up, then ship the "newer" products to China, and continue to produce crap. Now the great Hehr windows. I challenge anyone to find a quality RV "assembler" (no one manufactures these anymore) that DOES NOT use Lippert junk.
                  2016 AF 27-5L (3rd AF!)
                  2017Ford 350 SW LB CC 4x4
                  B&W Companion hitch
                  GatorFox retractable and locking metal bed cover
                  Misty & Rugger rescue dogs 1 Aussie and a Lab

Comment

I thought the framed sliding windows would be the trick after my frameless windows in my last rig but they are even worse being that the sliding windows are stuck in the closed position most of the time HAHA. My rig has a permanent smell of 3-1 window rubber lubricant LOL
                    You need to take an X-acto knife or razor blade to the rubber parts and trim them down to the metal frame. Smooth as glass.
                    2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L - 4 point leveling - Onan QG 3600 Genset - 160w Solar - Rear view camera - 4x 6v batteries - Vertamax 3Kw PSW Inverter - RVLock V4 - 4x HossPads RV jack pads - Andersen Levelers - Bellacorp TPMS - Progressive EMS-PT30X - 2002 F-250 Crew Cab Long Bed 7.3L - S&B Cold Air Intake - 4" Bassani X-haust turbo-back system - Air Lift 5k rear bags - SCT tuner - 16k Valley Power Pull hitch - Custom made bed-forward rack with Eide Boat Loader - Klamath 14S Deluxe fishing boat

Comment

Originally posted by D_S_27-5L View Post

You need to take an X-acto knife or razor blade to the rubber parts and trim them down to the metal frame. Smooth as glass.
                      Trim down to overall length around window?
                      2017 Chevy Duramax 3500 LTZ DRW + 50 gal Transfer flow Aux Tank + Trailer Saver BD-5

Comment

You talking about the thin rubber in the sliding track?

Comment

No - just where the 2 halves meet there is a bump that runs from top to bottom on the seal on the fixed center frame strip - the sliding part catches on it - you will end up with a little strip a couple of feet long from each one. You won't have to do anything with the rest of the seal. It runs horizontally on the small ones on the ends of the main slide.
                          2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L - 4 point leveling - Onan QG 3600 Genset - 160w Solar - Rear view camera - 4x 6v batteries - Vertamax 3Kw PSW Inverter - RVLock V4 - 4x HossPads RV jack pads - Andersen Levelers - Bellacorp TPMS - Progressive EMS-PT30X - 2002 F-250 Crew Cab Long Bed 7.3L - S&B Cold Air Intake - 4" Bassani X-haust turbo-back system - Air Lift 5k rear bags - SCT tuner - 16k Valley Power Pull hitch - Custom made bed-forward rack with Eide Boat Loader - Klamath 14S Deluxe fishing boat

Comment

ok got it, it seems like BS we have to even trim their gasketing. Im a little frustrated lately. last week ,my fireplace insert fell out of the opening. All 4 crews were not even biting into the wood. Easy fix but it gets old. Deep breath now. relax

Comment

No - just where the 2 halves meet there is a bump that runs from top to bottom on the seal on the fixed center frame strip - the sliding part catches on it - you will end up with a little strip a couple of feet long from each one. You won't have to do anything with the rest of the seal. It runs horizontally on the small ones on the ends of the main slide.
                              Thanks....I'll take a look at it when we take the AF out of storage in December

Comment

... last week ,my fireplace insert fell out of the opening. All 4 crews were not even biting into the wood. Easy fix but it gets old...
                                We've had to reinforce the screws that hold our fireplace to the cabinet. There's a lot of stress on the unit while traveling down the highway.

Have you had to lubricate your "flicker rod" yet?

We noticed a squeak coming from the fireplace when the flame was rotating last year. Removed the fireplace from the cabinet and opened the firebox. Used dry lubricant on the "flicker rod" end and the squeak went away. Here's the manual on opening the firebox:

https://manualzz.com/doc/1494354/dim...service-manual

Comment

Working...
                                X