Please Visit Our Sponsors

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northwood Switching to Frameless Windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northwood Switching to Frameless Windows?

I see on the Northwood site, their brand new campers are being equipped with 'frameless windows'.

One reason we purchased a Northwood product, was that the windows all opened (ether horizontally or vertically). That allowed for fresh air into the trailer and a nice cross-breeze while camping.

The 'frameless windows' only open outward a couple of inches on the bottom. To get a breeze, one of the ceilings exhaust fans must be used to draw air into the windows.

Hopefully, Northwood isn't going to be extending these windows to their trailer product line.

windows.jpg
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

We totally agree with Dave. The frameless windows look nice but we far prefer functionality.
    Bob P
    2008 Ford F350 Super Cab 6.4 PSD 4x4
    2018 AF 29-5T

Comment

I’m one who has never cared that much for the look of the frameless and have read on other forums some issues they have. One of the biggest benefits of the AF line is how well insulated they are with the dual pain windows one of the factors. I would wonder how well they seal up over time compared to the Hehr line that is tried and true.
      Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, (SOLD 1/20)

2016 AF 27-5L (SOLD 11/2019)

Comment

What's "funny" is when we went to the Portland RV show looking for a 5th wheel, we spoke with the sales person guy who came from the La Grande plant to talk with prospective buyers about all the good qualities of the Fox and the way they are made. One of the many pluses he spoke to us about the Fox were the double pane windows Northwood uses. He spoke about the double pane windows being "tride and true" and that they intentionly did not switch over to the frameless windows when other companies did. He even made a point that the frameless windows can not be fully open AND if a rock would hit the edge of the window, it would shatter.

2005 Dodge Diesel 3500: 5.9L Cummins Turbo-Diesel, 3.73 4WD 4SPD SRW, quad cab, long bed, B&W Companion Hitch. Rebuilt tranny, PakBrake Exhaust Brake, PakBrake Airbags w/ Wireless remote fill.

2017 Arctic Fox 27 5L: 4-Point Leveling System, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 30amp surge protector, Slide-Toppers, 2" Receiver, TPMS TST 507, ARP Controller, Sailun G rated tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Copper865 View Post
          What's "funny" is when we went to the Portland RV show looking for a 5th wheel, we spoke with the sales person guy who came from the La Grande plant to talk with prospective buyers about all the good qualities of the Fox and the way they are made. One of the many pluses he spoke to us about the Fox were the double pane windows Northwood uses. He spoke about the double pane windows being "tride and true" and that they intentionly did not switch over to the frameless windows when other companies did. He even made a point that the frameless windows can not be fully open AND if a rock would hit the edge of the window, it would shatter.
          During the 2018 rally, Donna & I were walking through one of the new 5th wheel trailers on display, and two of the Northwood managers happened to be sitting inside.

We got to talking to them and they asked about our AF experiences. We talked about our 29-5t 5th wheel and the upgrades, in the newer units.

We then voiced our dislike of the new main bedroom window, that did not open. We told them that fresh air was a key part of the camping experience and the two small slide windows that did open, weren't going to cut it with many buyers.

The two managers looked at each other and one started taking notes. I got the feeling that the new 'solid' bedroom window wasn't popular with the factory ether.

Sure enough, the 2019 main bedroom window was replaced with half-opening unit.

Hopefully those managers will be around again during the 2020 rally...
          Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

As I understand it, Lippert bought Hehr RV windows last year and immediately shut them down. The only volume supplier is now LCI who makes the windows found in new NW’s, and frameless found in most other manufacturers production. I know NW was trying to source another manufacturer so as not to use LCI for windows or a frameless but as of last fall that hadn’t happened. Frameless, unfortunately, seems to be in NW’s future. Someone else may have another version to this tale, but it came from a reliable source. The new opening bedroom window mentioned above is a LCI product, not Hehr, which explained why it wouldn’t open smoothly or even lock when I tried to open it on a display model, it’s a Lippert.
            2018 Arctic Fox 295T Fifth Wheel (Our 3rd AF!)
            2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 3.73 Rear. New BD Trans 2018. Upgraded 2 piece BD manifold & BD exhaust brake 2019. Air Lift Air Springs. TPMS. Girshwin's Ella Fitzhound (12/8/2003-6/29/2020)

Comment

So it looks like frameless windows are available in both single pane and dual glazed. I wonder what Northwood plans to use?

Bill
              Bill, Mary, and Scottie
              2015 RAM 3500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin, SRW, Hensley BD-3 Hitch
              2017 AF 27-5L
              http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/719790.png

Comment

And future replacement needs will be?
                Peter and Fran
                2016 AF 27-5L
                , 50AMP, 4pt leveling, 15K AC + bedroom AC, Onan 5.5 generator, Progressive Dynamics EMSHW50C, Slide Toppers, TST 507, Cadet digital AC heater, 52" ceiling fan LED light, Dirt Devil CV1500 Central Vacuum, 480 watt solar charger, 440 AH AGM battery bank, Magnum MS2012 2000 Watt Inverter, TorkLift steps, SRE4000, 17.5" Alcoa rims, 7k axles, ProTech toolbox

2017 F-450 Super Duty, B&W Companion, 50 gallon Transfer Flow fuel tank, Wickum Weld Toolbox

Comment

Originally posted by kramden View Post
                  As I understand it, Lippert bought Hehr RV windows last year and immediately shut them down.
                  Hopefully not!? I do see that Hehr RV windows still come up for sale on Google, but it is a bit confusing. Other than the landing page at Hehr.net, it all seems to redirect to a site called Parkin accessories: http://www.parkin-acc.com/page19.html
                  2001 F-350 V-10 4X4 CC 76,000 miles. Larger Transmission Cooler, Rear View Camera on 26N, ScanGauge.
                  2018 Nash 26N. 900W Solar, 2nd Bathroom Medicine Cabinet, Progressive Industries EMS, Two Recliners and Kitchen Counter Wall,
                  2015 Nash 17K Previous

Comment

Hmm, ever consider asking your customers? One factor that we considered when purchasing our Arctic Fox was the windows NOT being frameless. While I don't know if we will ever buy another trailer, it is disappointing to hear that this may be happening. Yesterday I was at the Tampa RV Show and I noticed more windows that would actually slide side to side or up and down. The majority of the units/windows were the ones that popped open a few inches, but I see a bit of a new trend developing.
                    2016 Arctic Fox 32-5M, 1,150 watt Solar Panels (5 @ 170, 2 @ 150), 2 Life Blue 200 Amp hr lithium batteries, Victron Blue Solar MPPT 150/85 Controller, MS2812 Magnum Pure Sine Inverter/Charger, 5.5 Onan LP Gen, 6pt leveling system, 2nd 13.5k A/C, Slide Toppers, Fireplace, King Bed, Central Vac. Hardwired Surge Guard Model 34560, rear view camera, clear entry door window,

2016 Ford F-450 Lariat. B&W Companion Hitch. Remax Bed Roll Cover, Bed Carpet.

Winter in Florida, traveling other seasons.

Comment

Update. NW is currently producing an entire run of frameless windows in the camper line only. They are informing dealers it’s just a single run, and, the windows are suppose to be dual pane. No indication if this is a test, or they couldn’t find adequate supply of sliders.
                      2018 Arctic Fox 295T Fifth Wheel (Our 3rd AF!)
                      2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 3.73 Rear. New BD Trans 2018. Upgraded 2 piece BD manifold & BD exhaust brake 2019. Air Lift Air Springs. TPMS. Girshwin's Ella Fitzhound (12/8/2003-6/29/2020)

Comment

I was told at the Boise rv show that the frameless windows in the Trailer Life camper ad were just for the Legacy special edition. Hopefully this is true but we just wait and see.
                        Bob P
                        2008 Ford F350 Super Cab 6.4 PSD 4x4
                        2018 AF 29-5T

Comment

Update. NW is currently producing an entire run of frameless windows in the camper line only. They are informing dealers it’s just a single run, and, the windows are suppose to be dual pane. No indication if this is a test, or they couldn’t find adequate supply of sliders.
                          Oh how I hope your information is golden! We have a 27-5l in production. The sliding windows and ventilation are important to us. It's a relief seeing your post.
                          2020 27-5L. 2019 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 4x4 6.6 Durmax/Allison

Comment

As I understand it, Lippert bought Hehr RV windows last year and immediately shut them down. The only volume supplier is now LCI who makes the windows found in new NW’s, and frameless found in most other manufacturers production. I know NW was trying to source another manufacturer so as not to use LCI for windows or a frameless but as of last fall that hadn’t happened. Frameless, unfortunately, seems to be in NW’s future. Someone else may have another version to this tale, but it came from a reliable source. The new opening bedroom window mentioned above is a LCI product, not Hehr, which explained why it wouldn’t open smoothly or even lock when I tried to open it on a display model, it’s a Lippert.
                            To confirm, I talked with several of the employees at Thunder RV when we picked up our new 25Y. I had complained to the salesman, Mike, that the dual pane sliding windows were hard to open and the screens did not fit well. He said, as Kramden did above, that Lippert had bought out Hehr and dissolved the company. They now make them under their own subsidiary and they work nothing like the wonderful sliders we had on our 2012. I believe the technical term for the new windows is “crappy”. If NW goes exclusively to the frameless windows it’s because they haven’t found a functional slider to substitute for the old ones. Wayne, the service guy, said he’s had several calls about the new sliders being subpar. I concur with that.
                            Mark and Anita
                            2020 25Y dutifully following a 2014 F-350 diesel SB

Comment

Originally posted by ProfQuinn View Post

I believe the technical term for the new windows is “crappy”.
                              Funny and sad at the same time.
                              2018 GMC 3500 SB diesel
                              2017 Arctic fox 27-5l 50Amp 5.5 Gen, 4 6 volt, 450W solar,ARPrv,michelin xps,built in surge suppressor, Tank Heat Pads and 4 Point Leveling System

My 27-5l Manual

Comment

Working...
                              X