Interesting table observation in the AF 5th wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting table observation in the AF 5th wheels

Yesterday we went to a western Colorado dealer to look at the AF Silver Fox 5th wheels, specifically the 29-5T. Interestingly they have at least one of all the AF models so we viewed them all. The 27-5L has more room than we were expecting but short on LR sitting space for our wants. The 29-5T was as we expected and hoped EXCEPT for the king beds. Don't want, won't buy. Our preference. A couple models, don't remember which, had huge islands which completely blocked interior access with the slides in. Also basically recycled floor plans everyone has.

Subject of the threads was tables and we noticed that the freestanding tables were different heights. As much as 4" difference. One of the 27s was the lowest and for us most usable and one of the 29-5T was the highest, 4" higher than the 27-5L and you felt like a kid sitting at the adult table. I looked at the underside to see if there was a construction difference but they were the same. Unfortunately I didn't have a tape measure with me but using the finger against the hip method of measuring, a clear 4" variance. Salesman was baffled too. Without actual measurements I would suppose the square post is the culprit. But why would there be such a variance?

Anyone else see of notice such a difference. On the 29-5Ts, they had 2 both 2019 models from last fall build, there was a 2" difference and could clearly see the difference how far the table was below the window. No didn't take pictures but should.
    2007 motorhome, 2012 Wrangler "toad", SOB 5th wheel (SOLD and awaiting replacement 29-5T???), 2017 Ram 3500

If you can't locate a trailer you want, I might suggest ordering a 5th wheel through the factory, via the dealer.

That's what we did and we were able to add options we needed / wanted and not pay for options we didn't want. Otherwise, your buying an AF that a dealer equipped with the most popular buyer options.

The downside to ordering a new trailer, is the wait time. Usually the next manufacturing run on a trailer, between special orders and dealer orders, is already reserved. We waited about six months between our order and delivery dates, which gave us time to select a tow vehicle.

We were extremely happy with the options we wanted on our 29-5T.
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

We've decided that's what we'll do when the time comes. Right now a 5th wheel travel isn't going to be compatible with our style travel. We stay places a few days and move on. Motorhome type travel. 5th wheel are best if set up for a longer period. We also tow a Jeep that we use as light weight off road adventuring. Not serious off road because it's our "car" and don't want to break it. As our travel style evolves an AF likely will be in our future. FWIW the AF we viewed was far superior to any others in that, and higher, price point. Includes Montana, Avalanche, GD Solitude, Vanleigh and several other who tout as high end luxury. The term luxury is like RV Resort, very loosely applied.

I think this on this forum for their patience and contributions. I'm not going anywhere and will be reading and posting as appropriate.
      2007 motorhome, 2012 Wrangler "toad", SOB 5th wheel (SOLD and awaiting replacement 29-5T???), 2017 Ram 3500

Comment

I observed that there were two versions of tables in Arctic Foxes when we were looking last year. One was shorter and did not have a threaded rod in the center of the pedestal. The other was higher and I think was an older model.

The trailer we had for a short while had the shorter table and one reason we got rid of it was how uncomfortable it was. Not only too low for us but the large pedestal and the four large feet at the bottom made it difficult for us to sit at.

If you like the shorter one, I think it is now the standard but a call to Northwood would confirm.
        2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
        2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
        2018 Arctic Fox 29L; Traded in
        *2001 Arctic Fox 29V; Sold
        South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

The island would be nice if someone wanted to set up longer term but would drastically limit the ability to do much in the way of modifications. Basically, not much empty or unoccupied space. Need two walking paths instead of one in the middle of the trailer...
          2019 Nash 24B (bunk) located in a city trailer park,
          on PG&E shoulder/peak electric rate...Yikes
          Two 6 volt GC batteries (2019)
          Two135 watt Kyocera solar panels (2013?)
          Blue Sky Systems 30 amp charge controller (2019)

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzer10 View Post
            I observed that there were two versions of tables in Arctic Foxes when we were looking last year. One was shorter and did not have a threaded rod in the center of the pedestal. The other was higher and I think was an older model.

The trailer we had for a short while had the shorter table and one reason we got rid of it was how uncomfortable it was. Not only too low for us but the large pedestal and the four large feet at the bottom made it difficult for us to sit at.

If you like the shorter one, I think it is now the standard but a call to Northwood would confirm.
            Actually 3 different heights. We're planning a factory tour late in the month and I'll ask them about that observation.

Comment

Sounds like you are going to be ordering one? If that is so, don't purchase the Bluetooth speaker/porch light. Even though it has about 30 LEDs in the light, they are little circuit board mounted ones. Very directional and not very bright. So, only lights up the steps. The LEDs are similar to what are in remote controls for garage door openers, it seems. Maybe a little brighter.
              I am going to pull it off or install a regular utility light next to it. It has a big base plate, 4 screws and lots of caulk so might just leave the thing and run a wire out the side for the utility light.

Comment

Yess seems that most dealers want to order the RV king bed. I understand some people want it but when they need to upgrade the mattress they're going to find very limited options. Regular, REAL queen everywhere. Besides I sleep with a CPAP and need a night stand to put it on. Not even room on the floor with the RV king. A couple months ago 2 dealers and a factory rep told me that if I ordered I could specify the older scizzor steps instead of the solid steps which extend dangerously into traffic if you are stopped at a rest area. All in all we liked what we saw but figure we'll do one more year in the motorhome barring any issues with it. Then research and order what we want HOW we want it. Hopefully the older steps will still be available or maybe the factory will go back to them if enough people complain. I know, pipe dream.

Comment

The built in $300+ WiFi is also something that I wouldn't order. It came with my new trailer and I tried it a few times. It is dependent on the quality of WiFi that is available. In my case, the trailer park service is slower than molasses.

Comment

Originally posted by chunker View Post
                    Besides I sleep with a CPAP and need a night stand to put it on.
                    We ordered our 27-5L with the booth just because we found the table uncomfortable. I am not tall but my knee hit the underside of the table in the unit at the dealer. We were not aware that the tables vary in height until I read this thread. That said, we like the booth and it does give us sleeping capacity for the grandkids when they get a little older.
                    We too prefer the queen bed over the king because of the bedside tables. And while the Morryde steps are very stable they do take a lot of space and might be problematic at rest stops etc. Keep in mind that with the 29-5T's door location at the rear, if you are at a site with a rearward slope the distance from grade to the floor can be an issue. I suspect the Morryde steps would would handle that better.
                    Tom & Lynn
                    2018 F350 DRW 6.7 Powerstroke
                    2021 29-5T

Comment

Originally posted by txshirle View Post

We ordered our 27-5L with the booth just because we found the table uncomfortable. I am not tall but my knee hit the underside of the table in the unit at the dealer. We were not aware that the tables vary in height until I read this thread. That said, we like the booth and it does give us sleeping capacity for the grandkids when they get a little older.
                      We too prefer the queen bed over the king because of the bedside tables. And while the Morryde steps are very stable they do take a lot of space and might be problematic at rest stops etc. Keep in mind that with the 29-5T's door location at the rear, if you are at a site with a rearward slope the distance from grade to the floor can be an issue. I suspect the Morryde steps would would handle that better.
                      The motorhome has the door at the front so when we have a site that slopes to the front that first step can be long. In the past I would lay some boards down but they could slide around. GF got one of this exercise steps with different leg pieces and it's worked great on this trip for this exact situation.

Both of us like a table and so far the clearance under one hasn't been a problem. I found it odd that there were 3 different table heights, so did the salesman. The tallest table in one of the 29-5Ts was awkward to sit at, we are both short. Booths do have an advantage of little people sleeping and storage.

Reference the WIFI, recommendation duly noted.

Comment

Originally posted by chunker View Post
                        Reference the WIFI, recommendation duly noted.
                        My experience with the WIFI boost has been the same. Have yet to find a spot where it helped though I am sure they are out there. I should have spent the money on a cellular signal booster.
                        Tom & Lynn
                        2018 F350 DRW 6.7 Powerstroke
                        2021 29-5T

Comment

I know I am very late in this conversation. But when recently camping the neighbors RV had the new lippert entry step. He had to put wood blocks under the legs and a footstep in front of the steps because the feet when fully extended wouldn’t reach the ground. Not a great site, but we don’t always get a perfectly level concrete pad. Likewise I find that when my RV is staged for pickup, the RVs are typically so close that if I had those new Lippert steps, I couldn’t fold them out without hitting the RV next to me. Therefore I couldn’t get into my RV without hitching up the RV and pulling it out. That would be a royal pain. So the old fashioned ones seem to be the best fit for me. Glad I don’t have the new ones.
                          Terry Haynes
                          USAF Retiree. 2018 29-5T, Disc Brakes, Slipper Springs, SoftStart, RV Airflow,12v EverChill frig, Pantry & basement slides, slide toppers, Drain Master, LevelMatePRO, 2 A/Cs & fireplace on thermostats, SeeLevel II, TorkLift Steps, 3.8KW Gen, 4 BB Batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Clr Ctrl GX & 712 Battery Monitor, Clear Source Ultra Water Filter in basement
                          2019 RAM 3500 CTD SRW LB Longhorn, B&W hitch, BAK Flip X4 Cover, TST w/ truck and RV spare tire monitors, 4 camera Haloview

Comment

Working...
                          X