X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide-out travel locks?

Looking at the new 28-5C and noticed this:

http://northwoodmfg.com/arctic-fox-2/arctic-fox-28-5c/

Quite sure my 27-5L does not have slide-out travel locks. Are these new to NW, or are they used only on larger/more expensive 5ver's?
    Darrell & Chris
    2018 AF 27-5L 4-pt auto leveling
    2014 Lakota Bighorn LQ, 14 ft SW, 3 horse, slant load, gooseneck trailer
    2006 Hart, 3 horse, slant load, bumper pull trailer
    2012 Ram 3500 CTD DRW

I hope this link will work better:

http://northwoodmfg.com/wp-content/u...uffle_(18).jpg
    Darrell & Chris
    2012 Ram 3500 CTD DRW

Comment

Our 2016 29-5T does not have 'travel locks', but this is in our owners manual:

REMOVE/UNLOCK TRAVEL LOCK(S): If your slide-out room is equipped with travel lock(s),
      you must remove or unlock the travel lock(s) before operating the slide-out room. This should
      be done once the unit has been leveled and stabilized.
      Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

RocklinDave , our manual says the same thing (not too surprising I suppose). And like you, our 27-5L does not have them. Nevertheless, travel locks do seem like a good idea (assuming one remembers to remove lock before attempting to extend the slide - yikes!).
        Darrell & Chris
        2012 Ram 3500 CTD DRW

Comment

Originally posted by gettinby View Post
          RocklinDave , our manual says the same thing (not too surprising I suppose). And like you, our 27-5L does not have them. Nevertheless, travel locks do seem like a good idea (assuming one remembers to remove lock before attempting to extend the slide - yikes!).
          The Northwood manual that came with our AF, looks like it was written in the early 70's.

Do modern RV's even come with 'travel locks' anymore?

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Our manual on a 25Y says the same thing but there none. When we first picked it up, on the way home the slide out moved out a few inches. Needless to say quite concerning. Called Northwood as we had purchased privately. They said to check the small lever on the back of the slide out motor. One way it locks automatically the other way it is free. Moved the little lever and the slide out has stayed in place ever since. I would guess the owners manual has not been rewritten for the newer trailers with the auto lock on the motor.
            Steve & Brenda and Our Cocker Spaniel Bella
            2017 RAM Diesel Laramie 4x4
            2017 Arctic Fox 25Y, Hensley Arrow

Comment

Originally posted by RocklinDave View Post

The Northwood manual that came with our AF, looks like it was written in the early 70's.
              With a crayon.

Comment

Don't know why Northwood doesn't hire a computer-savvy college kid for the summer, watch how the trailers are made, collect information from each system vendor, and design owners manuals for each model.

Car makers have been doing it for decades.... .

Comment

Do modern RV's even come with 'travel locks' anymore?
                  Apparently, the new 28-5C does (see link in post 2)

Darrell & Chris
                  2012 Ram 3500 CTD DRW

Comment

hire a computer-savvy ̶c̶o̶l̶l̶e̶g̶e̶ ̶k̶i̶d̶ ̶ military veteran for the summer
                    Tide-pod eaters need not apply.

Comment

An old '93 Travel Supreme fiver I owned years ago had travel locks for the slide. I never used them. A 2007 HitchHiker with three slides, two of which were operated by very powerful hydraulic cylinders and one electric bedroom slide did not have them. Neither did my old '08 AF22M.
                      Harvey Barlow
                      USN Retired
                      Glade Springs, WV
                      2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab & Chassis, Cummins ISB6.7 Aisin CM Flatbed BrakeSmart Transfer Flow 223k miles
                      2011 Arctic Fox 26X LT245/75R16LRE tires (SOLD)
                      2012 Unnamed 10' Slide-In Truck Camper

Comment

Our 2008 25r came with a “travel lock”. It’s a rod cut to fit between the wall and the slide overhang on top. Pull the slide in and wedge this in place so slide won’t come out. It also has a cloth tail so you can see it to remind you it’s in place.
                        2007 AF 25r 2005 Chev 2500hd with 8.1gas engine and alison tranny

Comment

Our 2005 SunnyBrook 30RKFS that we just sold had travel locks if that’s what you want to call them. It’s like 2 or 3 bars for each slide. They are only used if slide malfunctions and keeps the slides in during travel.
                          2019 AF 27-5L Alumaguards Awnings all three, 3.6 Onan, Auto leveling, 160 Amp solar panel, WiFi, receiver hitch, etc...
                          2007 Silverado 2500HD Classic CC/SB D/A
                          EFILive, TranGo Jr. Firestone Air Bags, Rancho RS9000XL shocks.

Comment

I seen a mod on another forum where they put a "key switch" in line with the slide out switch and then attached the key to the “travel lock”.
                            Can't move the slide out with the “travel lock” in place that way.
                            2018 GMC 3500 SB diesel
                            2017 Arctic fox 27-5l 50Amp 5.5 Gen, 4 6 volt, 450W solar,ARPrv,michelin xps,built in surge suppressor, Tank Heat Pads and 4 Point Leveling System

Comment

As far as I know there has been one AF 28-5C built about 2 yrs ago. The pictures on the site are of that one. You will notice the outside have the old graphics and the shower is brown.

I suspect that it was assembled with extra parts (i.e. control center from when they used travel locks), taken to the dealer meeting, photographed for the site and then sent to a dealership (Boise?) to be sold.

2017 Ford F-350 XLT SC LB 6.7L Diesel 4x2 SRW
                              2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L w/slide-out toppers, 15K AC, bedroom fan vent w/remote/tstat/rain sensor, powered sliding stab jacks, 50 amp service, 2" receiver hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, LevelMatePRO, Ford trailer camera & trailer TPMS

Comment

Working...
                              X