Boolean Search

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boolean Search

Is Boolean Search enabled on this forum?

I want to search for certain phrase like "blown seal" - can you tell me how to do that? I don't want "blown" or "seal" I would like "blown seal".

Or maybe I want to search for two words in a post like "Northwood" AND "trailer" - I don't want the phrase "Northwood trailer"

Thanks,

Bill
    Bill, Mary, and Scottie
    2015 RAM 3500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin, SRW, Hensley BD-3 Hitch
    2017 AF 27-5L
    http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/719790.png

On another forum I can search a word first, then a second word that I’ve not been able to figure out on this one. If looking for “blown seal” I would enter first “seal” then “blown” and would have the end results

A very handy way to search of capable.
    Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank, Titan Disc Brakes, MorRyde SRE4000

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

Bill, yes. You can find the help link at the bottom of every page, and click on the search category to find out your answers. Here is the direct link:

https://www.nroa2003.com/forum/help#...general_search
      2006 Chevy HD2500 DuramaxLBZ-Allison ExCab Longbed LT3 4x4
      Line-X, A.R.E. CX Shell, KargoMaster Rack, Prodigy
      2005 Arctic Fox 22H, Yamaha EF3000iSEB
      Celia's Gourmet Foods
      Gourmet Barrel Aged Balsamic Vinegars & Infused Olive Oils

Comment

Originally posted by Shotgun View Post
        Bill, yes. You can find the help link at the bottom of every page, and click on the search category to find out your answers. Here is the direct link:
        https://www.nroa2003.com/forum/help#...general_search
        The help page there actually seems to say specifically that you can not do what Bill wants to do?

If I am reading it wrong, someone please help and explain. On forums without this ability, I have wanted to do the very same thing occasionally and have had to go off site to Google and search for the exact phase I want, limiting the search to the specific site I was interested in. I would love to know how to do it without leaving the site I want to search.

With this forum software, if you go to "Advanced Search" and search for the phase "very handy way", (with or without the quotes), you get 25 pages of results, of any posts with very, handy or way in them. If there was a post, like Rollands above, included in the first 500 results, it might be there but buried in the mass of irrelevant results. In this specific case, the software returned for me what it thought were the most relevant results, limited to 500 posts and 25 pages. When I searched within those results, Rollands post from above was not included.

I think this is maybe something the owners of sites using this forum software have no control over?
        2001 F-350 V-10 4X4 CC 68,000 miles. Added Larger Transmission Cooler, Rear View Camera, ScanGauge II.
        2018 Nash 26N. 540W Solar, 2nd Bathroom Medicine Cabinet, Progressive Industries EMS, Two Recliners,
        2015 Nash 17K Previous

Let's Go Geocaching!

Comment

Originally posted by Will View Post

The help page there actually seems to say specifically that you can not do what Bill wants to do?

I think this is maybe something the owners of sites using this forum software have no control over?
          Yes to using the words "AND", "OR", and "NOT", but no to phrases like "blown seal". So Bill gets a 50/50 answer...

You are correct, we have no control over the scripting that drives this site. A search function is very hard on the server resources therefor we have to limit the amount of returns it gives. We can't control how the site selects its results.
          2006 Chevy HD2500 DuramaxLBZ-Allison ExCab Longbed LT3 4x4
          Line-X, A.R.E. CX Shell, KargoMaster Rack, Prodigy
          2005 Arctic Fox 22H, Yamaha EF3000iSEB
          Celia's Gourmet Foods
          Gourmet Barrel Aged Balsamic Vinegars & Infused Olive Oils

Comment

the AND does not appear to work for me.
            Tom & Lynn
            2018 F350 DRW 6.7 Powerstroke
            2019 AF 27-5L

Comment

Originally posted by txshirle View Post
              the AND does not appear to work for me.
              So "device AND layout" returns the same as "device OR layout" ?
              AND is the default so "device layout" and "device AND layout" will return the same thing
              2018 GMC 3500 SB diesel
              2017 Arctic fox 27-5l 50Amp 5.5 Gen, 4 6 volt, 450W solar,ARPrv,michelin xps,built in surge suppressor, Tank Heat Pads and 4 Point Leveling System

My 27-5l Manual

Comment

Originally posted by Art View Post
                So "device AND layout" returns the same as "device OR layout" ?
                Does not seem like it should, but it does for me also.

I have had some success going to the Google search page directly and entering phases like this: "site:https://www.nroa2003.com/forum" boolean" (extra " added after forum just to prevent forum software from making it a link.)

That will find this thread for example. But on some sites, like this one, when you click the link Google finds for this thread, you get taken to the main forum page, not the individual thread in the search result. I suspect that is because this is a member only site, but I am not sure. In any case it is pretty easy to see from the Google search results if what you are looking for is there. Then you can go directly to this site and do a specific search using what you saw in Google's search results and get the thread you want. Cumbersome, but it works.

And the "and" function does work doing the search through Google. If I search for: "site:https://www.nroa2003.com/forum" boolean" I get this thread. If I search for: "site:https://www.nroa2003.com/forum" boolean and fajitas" I get nothing. Well except for maybe a few hunger pangs.
                2001 F-350 V-10 4X4 CC 68,000 miles. Added Larger Transmission Cooler, Rear View Camera, ScanGauge II.
                2018 Nash 26N. 540W Solar, 2nd Bathroom Medicine Cabinet, Progressive Industries EMS, Two Recliners,
                2015 Nash 17K Previous

Let's Go Geocaching!

Comment

I search "boolean AND fajitas" I get your post ( probably this one will show up shortly as well )
                  "boolean OR fajitas" I get 4 posts two from this thread and 1 post from 2005 and 1 from 2006

Y'all getting different ?

Just talking but google would return 1 link of each subject and probably sorted differently.

OT We need to up our fajitas conversations
                  2018 GMC 3500 SB diesel
                  2017 Arctic fox 27-5l 50Amp 5.5 Gen, 4 6 volt, 450W solar,ARPrv,michelin xps,built in surge suppressor, Tank Heat Pads and 4 Point Leveling System

My 27-5l Manual

Comment

Working...
                  X