A substitute for Private Messages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A substitute for Private Messages

There has been some discussion about the lack of the PM function on the site. Here is a alternative I used and posted on threads where the lack of PM's was being discussed.

I was worried about publishing my email address here for a private conversation on another thread. I created another account (also on gmail, my email service) and had the mail to it forwarded to my main account. It might be even better to use Yahoo or some other server, I don't know. I can't think of any way that mischief on my second account could show up in my main account. If the forwarded email becomes a nuisance for some reason I can just stop the forwarding.

Maybe someone more technically adept than I am will comment.
    2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
    2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
    2018 Arctic Fox 29L; Traded in
    *2001 Arctic Fox 29V; Sold
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

Alternative email-accounts should probably be considered throw-away accounts.
    You just get some mail there (directly viewed), and then delete it, OR if the account is compromises kill the account (if you still have control).

Forwarding an email only hides from the sender your 'real' email address -- BUT any sneaky stuff in the email still lands in and can attempt to corrupt your real email account.

So, yes it will do the Hide-My-Real-Address, but you should not forward that email to you real address (automatically or even manually) -- just copy the text part you if need it in to something like NotePad or other 'dumb' simple text editor.
    -- David

Purpose: www.davidmc.org
    Home: 2007 Arctic Fox 27E which dutifully follows a 2007 Dodge RAM 2500 to new neighborhoods.

Comment

I think my level of concern is not terribly high because in 15 years on the Internet I have not had a problem. Of course, that doesn't mean that tomorrow I won't. Gmail seems to do a very good job of screening messages. I only get three or four spam messages a year in my Inbox. That said, I am leery of publishing me address to the world and putting Gmail to a more rigorous test. My thought with the second account is that I could abandon it with no consequences for me if it got into trouble.

So, a little protection as you said but not a lot.

Thanks for helping me understand this a little better.
      2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
      South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

Grizzer, I was unable to reply to your question. I can't find where you posted it, I am assuming it was on my For Sale thread. Which was deleted. We chose to go back to a bumper pull for several reasons. #1 reason was the stairs.
        Getting harder to negotiate, a bigger 5th wheel would have worked, but then I need a new truck to pull it. One thing leads to another. The bumper pull is a little lighter also, so pulling will be easier. We looked at other brands, but kept coming back to AF. Quality for the price is hard to beat. Many less expensive trailers on the market are junk, plain and simple. AF still has craftsmanship and quality.
        2012 Tundra
        2015 Arctic Fox 24J

Comment

Yes, it was on the for sale thread. Thanks for hunting me down and replying. I am just a bit behind you in this thought process. My choice of a new truck will either include the possibility of a 5th wheel or not. I am probably going to buy a Ram 2500 which will preclude the AF 5th wheels.
          2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
          South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

I loved pulling a fifth wheel, mine was only 25 feet, which made It a breeze to pull with my Tundra. I couldn't find anything new in that length, plus the stair issue, we went for a bumper pull. I think you will be happy with the Ram 2500. What engine you thinking? I would love to try the 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi.
            2012 Tundra
            2015 Arctic Fox 24J

Comment

Originally posted by RLAWYO View Post
              I loved pulling a fifth wheel, mine was only 25 feet, which made It a breeze to pull with my Tundra. I couldn't find anything new in that length, plus the stair issue, we went for a bumper pull. I think you will be happy with the Ram 2500. What engine you thinking? I would love to try the 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi.
              OK all, this is not the subject that this thread was started for. PLEASE take this to the correct subforum and and start another thread. Thank You!!!
              2006 Chevy HD2500 DuramaxLBZ-Allison ExCab Longbed LT3 4x4
              Line-X, A.R.E. CX Shell, KargoMaster Rack, Prodigy
              2005 Arctic Fox 22H, Yamaha EF3000iSEB
              Celia's Gourmet Foods
              Gourmet Barrel Aged Balsamic Vinegars & Infused Olive Oils

Comment

Working...
              X