Cant send PM's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant send PM's

Site says I need to login or contact admin. But I'm already logged in so dont know why I get this message when I try to send a PM.
    2012 F350 XL Supercab, 6.2L, 4.3 Axle, DRW, 4X4, 13,300 GVWR, Slide-In Camper Certified, Hellwig Bigwig sway bar, Torklift Stable Loads, Torklift tie-downs, Fastguns, custom Reading utility bed. AF 1150, wet bath, solar. Follow along at http://newadventuresofolddave.blogspot.com/sigpic

I found the same thing a few days ago. It must be a feature that has not been set up or checked out yet.
    Harvey Barlow
    USN Retired
    Glade Springs, WV
    2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab & Chassis, Cummins ISB6.7 Aisin CM Flatbed BrakeSmart Transfer Flow 223k miles
    2011 Arctic Fox 26X LT245/75R16LRE tires (SOLD)
    2012 Unnamed 10' Slide-In Truck Camper

Comment

Dave,

Because of the site being hacked and the new V board, private messaging has been turned off. It isn't the only casualty of the new board. We have lost a lot of the functionality on the updated site. Hopefully in the future we will get most if not all of the functionality back. Some have quit even looking at the site recently due to the loss of Tapatalk..
      Glen & Linda
      2018 27-5L Arctic Fox,
      2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD D/A 4X4 Ext Cab
      Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch
      Blogs: Ongoing: http://glelin-travels1.blogspot.com/
      Alaska: http://glelin-travels.blogspot.com/

Comment

I wrote a note to Adam, the Sheriff last week about the PM not working. He told me the feature is not working because of the hacking that has taken place in the past, as Glenn stated. He gave no indication of when or if it may be functional again.
        2016 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins Diesel, Automatic Four Wheel Drive Crew Cab
        2016 AF 25Y 16"Tires and Wheels, SteadyFast Stabilizers, 15,000BTU AC Upgrade, Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink, Moen Faucet upgrades bathroom and kitchen, JackKnife Sofa Bottom Cushion Upgrade, Dinette cushions upgrade, Slide Topper

Comment

There is not a day that goes by that I don't miss the PM function. Just a few days ago I got a hold of shotgun about the possibility of turning it back on and his reply really hit home. He stated we could turn it on any time I was willing to take a chance of the site going down again.......Well I am not there yet as I still remember the huge amount of stress I went through and the stress it caused Shotgun.
          There is also not a day that goes by that I don't miss the old software but we had three choices, update, go with a new company and possible loose all the past years data or just shut the site down permanently. So in my mind that left only one option and that was to update to the latest software with the latest security patches. So here is the new site in all its glory and I choose to just smile and move on as at least its still here. This is not the first time the site has been hacked or crashed over the many years its been around and unfortunately it probably will not be the last despite all of the effort put in.
          Adam
          2007 Dodge 2500 Megacab 5.9 3.73 4X4 4SPD auto
          07 Arctic Fox 31W-BH 35' Hensley Hitch/Brake Smart Controller - Access site with Desktop win10 machine
          07 AF31W Mod's
          Previous trailer 03 Arctic Fox 29V

Comment

Oh and yes I am still trying to come up with an idea to get the PM turned back on without upping the risk to the site. I have been searching the internet to see if it would be possible to reinstate the pm feature like Shotgun did the Download section by hosting it on a completely different server at a different location so the two are not linked at all.
            Adam
            07 Arctic Fox 31W-BH 35' Hensley Hitch/Brake Smart Controller - Access site with Desktop win10 machine
            07 AF31W Mod's

Comment

Adam,

If going with a different company could make the site more secure and restore as much of the functionality as possible I would certainly be willing to pay more in dues. If that is an option you might poll the membership so see how many would be willing to contribute more.

It isn't just the pm but some of the download section is missing or doesn't work. There is nothing later than 2011 and if I try to download the 2011 AF Trailer brochure I get about 400kb of 5m. Could be a problem with my computer but I have tried different browsers. The site is also cumbersome to get signatures when looking at posts. Other boards use Tapatalk seemingly without problems. Bottom line, not good. I know you and Shotgun are doing the best you can. Maybe another company might be the answer.
              Glen & Linda
              2018 27-5L Arctic Fox,

Comment

I wonder how OTHER Forms are getting away with using the earlier versions of vBulletin such as Ford-Trucks dot com??? I believe they are still using ver 3.8.7 and not having the hacking problems. Another site I frequent is the VW TDI Club using v- 3.5.7...... And those sites - esp the Ford-Truck site, are used by MANY HUNDREDS more than here. In fact, the owner, IB Brand has many Auto sites all using VBulletin.
                BPofMD - Bud & Penny / Actively Retired Navy Vet
                2005 F250 6.0 - TorqLift Upper Overloads, ARP Studs
                2007 Silver Fox 29-E 5th Wheel / Anderson Ultimate Hitch
                2015 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Comment

I have to say it is quite often I'm thankful for the work and effort Adam and Shotgun put in on this forum/site. It is the best group of people with similar interest that discuss things in a sane matter that I personally would hate to see lost. I'm also one willing to pay some extra for dues, or even a one time contribution if that was needed.
                  [B]Rolland & Judie, 1 [/B]Sheltie, Brinkley

[B]2013 GMC Yukon Denali,[/B] 6.2 liter, no mods

[B]2021[/B] 19

Comment

It isn't just the pm but some of the download section is missing or doesn't work. There is nothing later than 2011 and if I try to download the 2011 AF Trailer brochure I get about 400kb of 5m. Could be a problem with my computer but I have tried different browsers.
                    Its on my list and has been for a while to redo the download section, I just have not had the energy to tackle it as of yet with all the other stuff that also needs done , but I will

I wonder how OTHER Forms are getting away with using the earlier versions of vBulletin such as Ford-Trucks dot com??? I believe they are still using ver 3.8.7 and not having the hacking problems. Another site I frequent is the VW TDI Club using v- 3.5.7...... And those sites - esp the Ford-Truck site, are used by MANY HUNDREDS more than here. In fact, the owner, IB Brand has many Auto sites all using VBulletin.
                    Me too, why is someone or something always seem to be going after this site and not theirs? Don't have any answers....

I have to say it is quite often I'm thankful for the work and effort Adam and Shotgun put in on this forum/site. It is the best group of people with similar interest that discuss things in a sane matter that I personally would hate to see lost. I'm also one willing to pay some extra for dues, or even a one time contribution if that was needed.
                    Thank you

Adam
                    07 AF31W Mod's

Comment

Adam,

You have enough to do and shouldn't have to do everything. Is it feasible to hire a company to host the site and administer/secure it? I now that there are companies that do it but don't have any idea of cost. If it is possible at a doable price then our membership should be willing to step up to increased dues to cover the costs of the site.

Shotgun has a business to take care of and so do you. As members we can't continue to expect you two to do the heavy lifting and need to step up and pay what is necessary to do it right.

Again, if you can check out the possibilities and the poll the members for willingness to shoulder the costs.

Thanks to you and Shotgun!!!!!
                      Glen & Linda
                      2018 27-5L Arctic Fox,

Comment

I hang out on a Goldwing forum quite a bit. The forum uses vBulletin Version 5.1.9. I don't like it much. To me, some functions like clearing private message notifications are nearly impossible to do but the owner/moderator seems to be able to use all the functions. I'm not aware of it being hacked.

I too would be willing to pay more in annual subscriptions or make a donation if needed.
                        Harvey Barlow
                        USN Retired
                        Glade Springs, WV
                        2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab & Chassis, Cummins ISB6.7 Aisin CM Flatbed BrakeSmart Transfer Flow 223k miles
                        2011 Arctic Fox 26X LT245/75R16LRE tires (SOLD)
                        2012 Unnamed 10' Slide-In Truck Camper

Comment

Adam -

Is there some other way to share e-mail addresses with other paid subscribers without actually using the PM function? That way subscribers would be able to use their own e-mail systems to send messages to other subscribers without using the vBulletin PM feature.

Maybe the e-mail addresses could be shown in some sort of coded fashion such that web-bots can't easily pick them off the site even if it is hacked. For example something like this might be difficult for a web-bot to pickup: BillZ att comcast period n(et).

Just trying to think outside the box.

Bill
                          Bill, Mary, and Scottie
                          2015 RAM 3500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin, SRW, Hensley BD-3 Hitch
                          2017 AF 27-5L
                          http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/719790.png

Comment

I was worried about publishing my email address here for a private conversation on another thread. I created another account (also on gmail, my email service) and had the mail to it forwarded to my main account. It might be even better to use Yahoo or some other server, I don't know. I can't think of any way that mischief on my second account could show up in my main account. If the forwarded email becomes a nuisance for some reason I can just stop the forwarding.

I also used dot for . and at for @ but am not sure how helpful that is. It seems pretty easy to program a bot to recognize that solution.
                            2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
                            2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
                            2018 Arctic Fox 29L; Traded in
                            *2001 Arctic Fox 29V; Sold
                            South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

Originally posted by BZawlocki View Post
                              Adam -

Is there some other way to share e-mail addresses with other paid subscribers without actually using the PM function? That way subscribers would be able to use their own e-mail systems to send messages to other subscribers without using the vBulletin PM feature.

Maybe the e-mail addresses could be shown in some sort of coded fashion such that web-bots can't easily pick them off the site even if it is hacked. For example something like this might be difficult for a web-bot to pickup: BillZ att comcast period n(et).

Just trying to think outside the box.

Bill
                              OK folks, I have a little time this afternoon to address a little of this...

1. Thanks for the input Bill, But... NO, we will not make any email addresses public. If a person wants to make that happen I believe there is a setting in your personal settings to do so. It is not any of our business, nor any of our business or responsibility to make public any persons private information, including email addresses.

2. The private message function has just been turned off until we are satisfied that it does not pose a security risk to the site. Once both Adam and I are convinced that it is safe, we will once again turn it back on. None of this has been caused by the hack on the last site, after considerable communications to the people that run this server, and watch over the security of it, we have all decided that it is to the best of all concerned to turn off the private messaging for now.

3. Adam can chime in here if I am out of line but... A few years back we introduced the "paid member" status requiring a small fee be charged annually for full use of this site. For those that were here back then you remember how much slack we took for that, and how many members do not contribute to this forum any more because they choose not to pay the small $20 dollar a year fee. Trying to charge any more is not an option in my mind, even though there are a couple here that are willing to pay a little more. I do not want to go through the hard feelings this caused last time.

4. This server is monitored for security, that is how we found out about all these past attacks so fast. The site was shut down before anyone was put at risk. IF not for the hosting people watching and monitoring this site it could have been much much worse.

5. The download section will be updated as soon as Adam and I have the time to do so. We have it up with as much info as we can at the moment, the rest of the downloads we are missing will be posted shortly.

6. YES... Adam and I do have businesses to run. Quite frankly, that is why the site is in the disarray it is in right now. Since this site was hacked, I have had no time to really do anything but get it back up to where it is now. In the last 3 months I can count on one hand the days I have had off, and one of those was Thanksgiving and the other was my sons wedding. The holiday season is our busiest time, and I have to make sure my family has a house, and my workers have a house as well. In another couple weeks my workload will diminish and I will have time to make the changes, and work on the needed areas of this site. Until then, please have some patience, I am doing what I can when I can.

7. Why has this site been hacked and some others have not? There is no answer for this. Quite simple, there have been other sites running the same Vbulletin versions we run that have been hacked. Might not be the ones that some of you participate in, but other sites are hacked. We get security bulletins all the time, and we update the site asap when we get notifications of possible vulnerabilities. These updates arise from problems, so we are not alone. Might be a little unlucky, but we are not alone. Also, sites that have people watching them all the time can probably get them up and running much faster than I can, and maybe that is why you don't notice them being hacked.

7. On behalf of myself and Adam, we appreciate the thank yous and support you give us. It takes a lot of time and energy, especially on Adam's part, and we appreciate all your support!
                              2006 Chevy HD2500 DuramaxLBZ-Allison ExCab Longbed LT3 4x4
                              Line-X, A.R.E. CX Shell, KargoMaster Rack, Prodigy
                              2005 Arctic Fox 22H, Yamaha EF3000iSEB
                              Celia's Gourmet Foods
                              Gourmet Barrel Aged Balsamic Vinegars & Infused Olive Oils

Comment

Working...
                              X