Well it happened again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well it happened again.

I am starting to feel like this site has a target on its back!!!! Thanks to Shotgun once again for finding time when he had none to deal with this.

So as a effort to make the site more secure the PM feature has been turned off. So for now you will need to use your private email to communicate with each other behind the scene. Plus I will be pruning all none active members from the data base and running a password secure search on each members chosen password.
    Adam
    2007 Dodge 2500 Megacab 5.9 3.73 4X4 4SPD auto
    07 Arctic Fox 31W-BH 35' Hensley Hitch/Brake Smart Controller - Access site with Desktop win10 machine
    07 AF31W Mod's
    Previous trailer 03 Arctic Fox 29V

Thank you for all of your 'behind the scenes' help.

It must be frustrating, but we appreciate your software knowledge and keeping the site going.
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Appreciate all you do to keep this up and running!
      Kim & Jim 2015 AF 27-5L - 2014 GMC 3500 Denali -Duramax, B&W Turn over ball with Companion hitch, 2 Honda 2000 watt generators 160 watt Zamp portable solar, Ginadel 2200 watt inverter

Comment

It is very frustrating but worth it, poor shotgun as this never happens at a good time (if there is a good time) for him. He is so busy with work but still finds time to help me out somehow.
        Adam
        07 Arctic Fox 31W-BH 35' Hensley Hitch/Brake Smart Controller - Access site with Desktop win10 machine
        07 AF31W Mod's

Comment

I've been there. A few years ago my site and others I was running for nonprofits kept getting hacked. It took me almost a year to realize the majority of the attacks came from other users running sites on the shared server. Although I kept up with cms updates and patches in the end it was the cheap host that didn't really care about security. I guess you get what you pay for. I've since switched to netfirms for hosting and haven't looked back.

Keep up the good work...
          2015 F250 CC SWB 4x4 6.2L
          2013 Nash 23B
          2012: 31 nights; 2013: 16; 2014: 26; 2015: 25

Comment

Frustrating for you guys, I am sure. Although my password was already 10 alpha numeric characters, I just changed it to 12 characters, using alpha, numeric, and symbols. Maybe if everyone could be required to do that it would help? I am always surprised by how many people use very easy to break passwords, and then use the same password on multiple sites. I use a password manager so at the least I can easily have a different password for every site without having to write down or remember any of them.
            2021 Ram 6.7L 68RFE 3500 4X4 CCSB | ARE MX Cap | Replacing: 2001 F-350 V-10 4X4 CC 80K.
            2018 Nash 26N. Rear View Camera, 900W Solar, 2nd Bathroom Medicine Cabinet,
            Progressive Industries EMS, Two Recliners and Kitchen Counter Wall,
            2015 Nash 17K Previous

Comment

Never thought about the server company security. It is a shared server but they state it only this site that gets attacked.
              Everything has been working pretty well for so long, I just want to get back there.
              Adam
              07 AF31W Mod's

Comment

I will have to look up what a password manager is
                Adam
                07 AF31W Mod's

Comment

This is what I use: http://www.roboform.com/

I think another one is called lastpass.
                  2021 Ram 6.7L 68RFE 3500 4X4 CCSB | ARE MX Cap | Replacing: 2001 F-350 V-10 4X4 CC 80K.
                  2015 Nash 17K Previous

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                    Never thought about the server company security. It is a shared server but they state it only this site that gets attacked.
                    Everything has been working pretty well for so long, I just want to get back there.
                    Years ago I had a problem with several sites being hacked on a shared server account. I ended up changing to Hostgator about 6 years ago and have not had a problem since. I think I am still on a shared sever, but their security must be better.
                    2015 Nash 17K Previous

Comment

And I am not sure if it is related, but I have once again stopped getting thread subscription notification emails.
                      2015 Nash 17K Previous

Comment

I am starting to feel like this site has a target on its back!!!! Thanks to Shotgun once again for finding time when he had none to deal with this.

So as a effort to make the site more secure the PM feature has been turned off. So for now you will need to use your private email to communicate with each other behind the scene. Plus I will be pruning all none active members from the data base and running a password secure search on each members chosen password.
                        Adam,

I have to ask....

Did the hacker(s) have any access to the NROA member's PayPal and/or credit card information used for membership dues?

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Originally posted by RocklinDave View Post

Adam,

I have to ask....

Did the hacker(s) have any access to the NROA member's PayPal and/or credit card information used for membership dues?

No Paypal and this site are not connected. When you make a payment you are do so on Paypal. This site does not have any personal info at all. Once signed up I don't even keep the email you sent to sign up with.
                          Adam
                          07 AF31W Mod's

Comment

No Paypal and this site are not connected. When you make a payment you are do so on Paypal. This site does not have any personal info at all. Once signed up I don't even keep the email you sent to sign up with.
                            Thanks Adam

Comment

Is it a good idea at this point to change our passwords if they should be a little more secure? I think mine needs an update.
                              Linda & Dave (retired US Army) and Magic, the Yellow Lab Duck Dog
                              2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i, Les Schwab 105 6-volt batteries, Maxxis Tires, Torque Lift Steps
                              2017 RAM 2500 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4, CTD, 8' Bed, Granite Crystal, new 7/1/17
                              2018 Prius IV, new December 2018

Comment

Working...
                              X