Please Visit Our Sponsors

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a "keep me logged in" function? (or at least a timeout setting?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a "keep me logged in" function? (or at least a timeout setting?)

For most forums it seems, as soon as I go to them, I'm recognized (either cookies) or there is a "keep me logged in" option. I think the old forum used to do that because I don't recall logging in unless I'd actually logged out.

The new forum - I'm getting used to it and like the setup - seems to log me out fairly quickly if I'm inactive. Maybe an hour? Is there a config option to allow us to either keep logged in, or set an inactivity timeout limit? (This is likely an admin question as I don't see it anywhere in the settings.)

Fortunately, I use Lastpass which cleverly remembers all the passwords I don't, and makes up ridiculously long and complex ones and I can log back in easily. Just wondering, but don't want to cause work...
    2015 AF 25W
    2015 Ford F350, 6.7l diesel
    Blue Ox SwayPro (1,500 lb)
    along with Wendy and Dobby, the Labradoodle house elf.

When I log in there is a "remember me" box that can be checked. Is it not there for you? In the control panel for the previous version there was a "inactivity timeout limit" setting. I am sure there is for this version as well. I will go in and see if I can find it and see what time out limit it is set for.

This is where shotgun says....Oh crap Adam is messing around in the control panel again.....
    Adam
    2007 Dodge 2500 Megacab 5.9 3.73 4X4 4SPD auto
    07 Arctic Fox 31W-BH 35' Hensley Hitch/Brake Smart Controller - Access site with Desktop win10 machine
    07 AF31W Mod's
    Previous trailer 03 Arctic Fox 29V

Comment

The inactive session time is set to 45 minutes. If your gone longer than that, with no activity, then you are automatically logged out and you will have to re-log in. This is standard, and we do not want to make it any longer than that as it increases server load. If you take a break to go grab a beer, then this is long enough. If you leave to go shopping with your wife, well your going to have to log in again. That's only fair, if your not using the site, you need to give other people the room without increasing server load.
      2006 Chevy HD2500 DuramaxLBZ-Allison ExCab Longbed LT3 4x4
      Line-X, A.R.E. CX Shell, KargoMaster Rack, Prodigy
      2005 Arctic Fox 22H, Yamaha EF3000iSEB
      Celia's Gourmet Foods
      Gourmet Barrel Aged Balsamic Vinegars & Infused Olive Oils

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
        This is where shotgun says....Oh crap Adam is messing around in the control panel again.....
        YUP, don't change it please...
        Celia's Gourmet Foods

Comment

Hey you beat me to it, Yes 45 is long enough. If you time out I would suggest spending more time on the forum.....
          Adam
          2007 Dodge 2500 Megacab 5.9 3.73 4X4 4SPD auto
          07 Arctic Fox 31W-BH 35' Hensley Hitch/Brake Smart Controller - Access site with Desktop win10 machine
          07 AF31W Mod's
          Previous trailer 03 Arctic Fox 29V

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
            If you time out I would suggest spending more time on the forum.....
            Or drink less beer..shock
            Celia's Gourmet Foods

Comment

Well, it will give me more beer breaks...that is for sure!!

No problem - I understand excess load on a server all too well!! (That's my database days coming back to haunt me....)

I *do * have the remember me box, but typically that only recalls the username - haven't tried it in this case, so don't know. Hmm...I have a beer beside me. Better pay attention to it.
              2015 AF 25W

Comment

Just a follow-up. Not only did I drink that beer, I am happy to say the the "remember me" box does in fact do what it says - username and password, so must set a cookie as I can refresh the page immediately. (I was just away for two days and it refreshed and updated right away.)

Shotgun - if that means I'm never logged out, that will add load to the server will it not? (I'm assuming it does still time out, but simply reactivates the cookie on a page refresh to log back in.)
                2015 AF 25W

Comment

Working...
                X