Lost all my mod photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost all my mod photos

Well, through a combination of events, virtually all my photos illustrating my modification threads are gone. I missed reading this forum thread
    http://www.afnash.com/showthread.php...ocedures/page2
    which discussed the impending closing of Webshots. I apparently dismissed Webshots warning emails as spam, or because our ISP sold last year, maybe I missed updating my email address on the Webshots site. Also my 6 year old laptop cratered last summer (yes I know I should have backed up), which is the big lesson in all this. Linda has had 3 spinal surgeries and a hip replacement in the last 19 months, so I haven't stayed on top of the details very well.

According to the Webshots/Smile (I fail to see the humor in the new name) site, Dec. 1st was the last date to move my photos out of Webshot. So those threads are now worthless without photos. Sorry folks for the little red-x-boxes where a pic is supposed to be.

Adam, if you happen to read this, you may as well take my mod threads down, but that adds something else to your busy schedule, so your call.

Lastly, if the IT gurus think I'm ever going store my stuff on the Cloud, they have another thought coming. Color me ticked off.
    dieselhorse: Former owner of a 2001 Nash 24-5N

I wonder if The Wayback Machine would have copies of WebShots.

http://archive.org/web/web.php

You need to supply a complete URL.
    For example (from my web-site), enter the string into search box and click on the Take Me Back button.

If there are any archive copies of the page, it will show a calendar with highlighted dates.
    Also across the top of the calendar are other years with archive copies.

[[ I did try some of DieselHorse's modification threads -- but no images were being shown. ]]
    -- David

Purpose: www.davidmc.org
    Home: 2007 Arctic Fox 27E which dutifully follows a 2007 Dodge RAM 2500 to new neighborhoods.

Comment

This is what I was afraid of. I take it you did not save a copy of the photos you uploaded? Can you provide me a link to this post you are referring to?
      Adam
      2007 Dodge 2500 Megacab 5.9 3.73 4X4 4SPD auto
      07 Arctic Fox 31W-BH 35' Hensley Hitch/Brake Smart Controller - Access site with Desktop win10 machine
      07 AF31W Mod's
      Previous trailer 03 Arctic Fox 29V

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
        This is what I was afraid of. I take it you did not save a copy of the photos you uploaded? Can you provide me a link to this post you are referring to?
        Sorry about this, Adam. Here they are. You can wipe them out.
        http://www.afnash.com/showthread.php...-Flush-install
        http://www.afnash.com/showthread.php...slide-out-tray
        http://www.afnash.com/showthread.php...-magazine-rack

I still have the photos from my twin bed remodel, so I'll try to replace the missing ones when I get around to it. I'll PM you later to see if you can unlock that thread for me to edit it. Once again, my apologies.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by DavidMc View Post
          I wonder if The Wayback Machine would have copies of WebShots.

http://archive.org/web/web.php

You need to supply a complete URL.
          For example (from my web-site), enter the string into search box and click on the Take Me Back button.
          David, I did open an archived webshots page for 7-24-10 when I uploaded photos of my magazine rack. But I don't have the URLs that were produced by webshots. My albums were private anyway, not public. I opened a webshots login page, but when I logged in, it produced this message: IMPORTANT: Your browser is not accepting Webshots cookies. Please enable cookies in your browser to log in.
          I suspect webshots is no longer producing cookies, so that is as far as I could go. The Wayback Machine is a very interesting project though, and I will hang on to this link. Thanks.

Ken

Comment

I was recently engaged in a friendly argument about the cloud on another site. My position was that I wanted control over my data and did not want to trust it to some company that might change its mind. The majority of respondents had no trouble trusting the cloud. Your experience confirms my belief that all data should be stored locally and then uploaded to the cloud.
            2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
            2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
            2018 Arctic Fox 29L; Traded in
            *2001 Arctic Fox 29V; Sold
            South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

This situation is the exact reason to NOT trust the cloud. This is a big hoax.
              The cloud concept has been used by industry for years, but, the various companies control their own
              cloud and they do not entrust the data to any other entity.
              All the pictures I have linked over the years are first and always on my computer and are backed up.
              I was sorry to see webshots go. I had almost 200,000 hits for my various projects!

Housted
              2015 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L CTD Tow Rig, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch.
              2011 Arctic Fox 29-5T 2010 Arctic Fox 29-5T on permanent site in the mountains - RIP 2006 AF 29V
              Interests: White water Kayaking,Photography, Shooting,Reloading
              Avatar:Eastern Sierra along US395

Comment

Here is my final reply to the discussion regarding the cloud on another site:

There are several reasons for liking what I do. Some of them are rational and some not. Here they are.

My computer history dates back to when we all had dumb terminals and were dependent on a central server ruled by sometimes uncooperative IT personnel. The advent of PC era changed all that and suddenly we were free to manage our own systems as we saw fit. Now, the movement to the cloud is in some ways a step back into that era of central servers outside our control. I can see the benefit for companies that do not have to support an expensive IT department but I just prefer to maintain my independence while taking advantage of some aspects of cloud computing.

I want to maintain my ability to do work independent of the Internet. So I use Outlook (just because it is what I was used to at work) and synch it with Google and download all my messages to my computer. I do the same with the calendar and contacts. So all my data is both in the cloud with Google and on my PC. When I am outside Internet contact I can go to an Internet cafe and update everything in five minutes, leave and work not connected to the Internet. My Droid phone and my wife's Ipad are both synched to the Google cloud and the calendars and contacts on both are kept up to date with the data on my PC. This is enormously useful, particularly having the three calendars up to date. When Google stopped providing the program that synched the calendars, that was a problem for me. If another email program could do that I have no problem with switching. Even Outlook.com has only a clunky attempt to provide calendar synching. There are thousands of complaints about Google dropping the calendar synch program and I couldn't find a solution to replace it.

I have no problem posting things, like photos, that I don't access every day in the cloud but I would want a back up on my system. I guess I just don't want to trust important data to a company that might lose it one way or another. Once again, this probably dates back 25 years to when I got control over my computing and now I don't want to give that up.

If I were always connected to the Internet some of my objection to cloud computing would go away but I would still have trouble giving my ability to do work and my data up to Google.

Thanks for your comments. It is interesting to see other people's solutions to these problems.
                2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
                South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

Grizz, Housted,
                  Through a series of failures--mostly mine--I lost the photos, so I take responsibility for not backing them up on a CD or thumb drive. As you say, it can be taken as a lesson. However the technology is constantly changing and the CD of today may be unreadable by the computer of tomorrow--hence storage on the cloud where everything is "safe", for what that's worth, considering whoever owns the cloud owns the world.

I am no less disgusted with American Greetings who bought Webshots and recently dumped it back in the lap of its originators. Emails alerting us to the pending loss of our pics should have been prefaced with a big red "WARNING, we are about to dump your files." The only thing I remember was a couple of emails stating it was converting to Smile--which I am not. I don't sift through the fine print of what is mostly spam. I suspect I'm not the only person who, through a confluence of events, lost their photos with no recourse. I do feel fortunate that I didn't have any family or trip pics on Webshots.
                  Last edited by dieselhorse; 02-06-2013, 08:31 PM.

Comment

dieselhorse,

Now that I am thinking about this I may have lost photos too. From time to time I have posted photos on this site back when we used an off site company to store the photos. I just checked my password list and it was Webshots. My account seems to have vanished, since I cannot sign in. Like you, I got no notice, or at least nothing that I remember.
                    2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
                    South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

If I can interject here Ken....

You know I'm technology challeneged but if I'm understanding this thread correctly, I should at least have some basic concerns.

As it stands right now, for the most part.....once I download photos from my camera to my computer, I then move them to Flicker and take them off of my computer. So Flicker "hosts" them all (more like owns them......$20 a year for unlimited space). Is this what you're referring to as "the cloud"?

A friend of mine (the guy on the yellow Harley that came to Quartzsite) just bought what I believe is an external hard drive so that he can keep all of his original photos. Is that something I should be considering to prevent this from happening to me in the future?
                      sigpicStates that we've RV'd in.
                      2013 Fox Mountain 235RLS (SOLD on 9/30/13) & 2012 F-250, 3.55 Electronic Locking Diff., 6.7L Diesel, Supercab, Lariet, FX-4, Longbed.

Comment

Originally posted by JCZ View Post
                        If I can interject here Ken....

You know I'm technology challeneged but if I'm understanding this thread correctly, I should at least have some basic concerns.

As it stands right now, for the most part.....once I download photos from my camera to my computer, I then move them to Flicker and take them off of my computer. So Flicker "hosts" them all (more like owns them......$20 a year for unlimited space). Is this what you're referring to as "the cloud"?

A friend of mine (the guy on the yellow Harley that came to Quartzsite) just bought what I believe is an external hard drive so that he can keep all of his original photos. Is that something I should be considering to prevent this from happening to me in the future?
                        JCZ,
                        I was in IT for 38 years....I used to answer your question frequently, I always told people to back up what they don't really want to loose.
                        Even if it is on your computer, you need another backup. All Hard disks are on the way to failure, no one knows when. Putting all your photos in the hands of another (Flicker) without back up is risky at least. I would get an external disk to keep all your photos on. They are available every where and are quite cheap these days.
                        Housted
                        2015 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L CTD Tow Rig, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch.
                        2011 Arctic Fox 29-5T 2010 Arctic Fox 29-5T on permanent site in the mountains - RIP 2006 AF 29V
                        Interests: White water Kayaking,Photography, Shooting,Reloading
                        Avatar:Eastern Sierra along US395

Comment

Thank you! Direct and to the point.....I can understand that! Thanks again.
                          sigpicStates that we've RV'd in.
                          2013 Fox Mountain 235RLS (SOLD on 9/30/13) & 2012 F-250, 3.55 Electronic Locking Diff., 6.7L Diesel, Supercab, Lariet, FX-4, Longbed.

Comment

Good advice, JC. We have an external hard drive on DW's Mac which is constantly backing up. I keep important photos there where I can correct/enhance them using the excellent Mac iPhoto tools. I don't keep much of any value on my laptop. It just so happens the photos from my modification threads were on my old laptop which bit the dust. I should have put them on the Mac.

Grizz, my condolences--hope you didn't lose anything of too much value.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselhorse View Post
                              Grizz, my condolences--hope you didn't lose anything of too much value.
                              When my hard drive failed recently I was very lucky. It slowed down and programs started to not respond. Once I realized that it was failing I was able to do a complete back up and lost nothing. HP was very good and send me a new HD under warranty even though I was four days outside the warranty period. Rebuilding the hard drive was a pain, mostly because I had forgotten how to install some programs and had to learn all over again. I have an external hard drive on my wireless home network that is supposed to provide wireless real time back up. I also just copied data files to another HD.
                              2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
                              South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

Working...
                              X