Ok whose dog is the best?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok whose dog is the best?

Mine of course. I rescued Tomas in Mexico 10 years ago. He was starving and had been hit by a car. He looked like a Bobblehead dog. Breed is "Estofado Mexicano" (Mexican stew)

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4822.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	192646

I soon learned he was no average dog. I have had 4 or 5 and this one is the smartest, by a couple of orders of magnitude. He has a large vocabulary in both English & Spanish. Takes about 2 or 3 minutes for him to learn something and he never does anything wrong. The moment I call him a bad dog, is the last time he does whatever it was he was doing. He also has distinct vocalizations for what he wants. He is a registered therapy dog and I used to take him into Children's hospitals and senior homes.

Each year I take him back to Mexico. This year I took him back to the swimming pool/RV complex in Baja (el Palomar in Santo Tomas) where I found him. One of the workers recognized him and told me he was called Bandito, due his habit of stealing food from customers when they were not looking. I would have kept the name had I known.

He enjoys the lack of silly rules in Mexico, like when I took him to happy hour at a local restaurant.

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0091.jpg
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	192647 Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0093.jpg
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	192648

He enjoys the swim up bar at Laguna del Tule, an RV park I stay at in Melaque, Mexico, but after a margarita or 2 he is blitzed.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
    2007 Dodge 5.9 3500 SB (Formerly Chev dually)
    Caravan Wagon Master
    http://dlink.natcoa.net/trailer.JPG

I remember seeing your dog, Paul. Glad he is still going strong. Cute pictures. Of course we think our dog Magic is the best. She is the best duck retriever we've ever had--and the smartest.
    Linda & Dave (retired US Army) and Magic, the Yellow Lab Duck Dog
    2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i, Les Schwab 105 6-volt batteries, Maxxis Tires, Torque Lift Steps
    2017 RAM 2500 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4, CTD, 8' Bed, Granite Crystal, new 7/1/17
    2018 Prius IV, new December 2018

Comment

Great post!
      James, Kim & the Goldendoodles (Lucy & Regan)
      2012 Ford F250 XLT CC SB 4x4 6.7 ARE Topper and Decked Drawer System
      2013 Arctic Fox 25Y (1250# tongue weight with mods)
      Bridgestone Duravis R250 LT245/75-16 w/TST 507 internal sensors
      Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500 w/Reese Titan Weight Dist Shank

Mods 4-6v battery bank and 500w solar

Comment

Yes very nice post, it does my heart good to read of you rescuing him and he is thriving. You are a good man.
        Regards, Bruce, Lin An & Kenji
        2014 Snow River 246RKS
        Hensley Arrow Hitch
        2-160 Watt AM Solar panels, Morningstar Pro Star charge controller
        2015 RAM 3500 Big Horn Cummins TD Dually with AISIN Tranny

Comment

Rescued dogs are the best! Ours is a rescued Corgi. He was dumped at the Seattle Animal Shelter for herding toddlers, well, duh, that's what herding dogs do. We've owned quite a few dogs over the years, all but one were rescues and Buster is by far the best traveler of all. He just curls up on his bed in the back seat and is very happy to be going with us. He loves to roll in the grass.
          Last edited by mtcyclist; 09-16-2016, 08:57 PM.
          Gerry & Martha, plus Buster(Welsh Pembrooke Corgi)
          2017 FM 235RLS, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C surge protector, tubular locks on all storage doors
          2010 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab Diesel w/Anderson Aluminum Ultimate 5th wheel hitch

Comment

Pound puppy here too. We got Buddy several years ago. It is very evident that he has been abused by men. Very protective of me. He can growl at hubby, but then walk right up to him and demand his morning attention. He doesn't ever try to discipline with anything in his hands, poor Buddy comes unglued. We are happy to provide him his forever home. It was sad really, never been in a car before, when the wipers came on, he came uncorked. It has taken us 4 years, but he has finally decided we are ok.
            Jeanann
            2016 Artic Fox 29 5K
            2014 Dodge 3500 Diesel

Comment

Our special dog is Roudy. An 8 lb chihuahua rescue dog we were going to keep for a month. He had been neglected and the vet had to remove a rear leg, pull all but two teeth, and neuter all in one operation. Needless to say, he was a basket case for a month but my wife was determined to nurse him back to good health. That was three years ago. Now we travel with two Australian shepards and Roudy who runs the pac. Never thought I would like a small dog like this but rescue dogs have a way of giving all their unconditional love and then some. Roudy also has become a therapy dog and enjoys visiting older folks homes and sitting on peoples laps.
              2012 Dodge Laramie, 2500 CTD, crew cab, Reese 16K Slider hitch

2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L, 320w solar system, Trimetric SC-2030 Solar Charge Controller, Trimetric 2030 Battery Monitor, Magnum 400 inverter, TST 507 tire monitor,

Comment

Good dogs make wonderful companions. I agree with the opinion here that rescued dogs are often the best. I think their prior experiences allow them to recognize and appreciate a good home with loving humans when they find one.
                Harvey Barlow
                USN Retired
                Glade Springs, WV
                2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab & Chassis, Cummins ISB6.7 Aisin CM Flatbed BrakeSmart Transfer Flow 223k miles
                2011 Arctic Fox 26X LT245/75R16LRE tires (SOLD)
                2012 Unnamed 10' Slide-In Truck Camper

Comment

I love that story! Makes me want another rescue too. Each are so different and so special. Our last, a Siberian husky had quite a vocabulary and could keep me laughing so hard. The best was to hear a thump thump thump and see her flying over the end of the slay bed to land on my to say good morning. Oh the memories. To good times with our pups.
                  Peter and Fran
                  2016 AF 27-5L
                  , 50AMP, 4pt leveling, 10 Cu Ft Refrigerator, 15K AC + bedroom AC, Onan 5.5 generator, Progressive Dynamics EMSHW50C, Slide Toppers, TST 507 flow through with repeater, Cadet digital AC heater, 52" ceiling fan LED light, Dirt Devil CV1500 Central Vacuum, water filter system, 480 watt solar charger, 440 AH AGM battery bank, Magnum MS2012 2000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter/charger, TorkLift steps, SRE4000, 17.5" Alcoa rims, 7k axles

2017 F-450 Super Duty, B&W Companion

Comment

Golden Retriever lover here. Hard to imagine a better and more loyal companion. Our current Golden is from Guide Dogs for the Blind. We are puppy raisers for GDB and we raised her from eight weeks to 15 months when she was "career changed" due to elbow dysphasia and we adopted her back. Now she is a mentor to the puppies we raise from GDB and is a registered therapy dog through Therapy Dog International (TDI). Her specialty is giving her unconditional and pure love to patients receiving chemo at our local Cancer Center.

But I know that each dog lover has every reason to love their dog/s like they do with good and justified reasons. Personally, I believe that the reason rescues are such great dogs is that they KNOW you saved their lives.

Of the thousands of dog quotes these two are my favorite:

ďA dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself."

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they went."

2015 AF 27-5L, 2016 F-250 Super Cab, 6.7 Diesel, SB, 4x4, Off Road and 10,000lb Payload Package,

Comment

We rescued a Golden, five and half years ago. Wonderful, goofy, unpredictable companion. But he succumbed to "The Golden Curse" last February, not even making it past nine years old. When God made those four-footed bodies, he had the choice of packing them with love or lifetime. You can tell that he chose love.

A few days later, we rescued Dara. She's one of those "Heinz" dogs, but we think she's Aussie, Spaniel, and Golden. (Our vet told us of a test where we can find out - we're considering it.) She's a loving and an intuitive companion, but skittish in unfamiliar situations. She doesn't quite know what to think of people walking other dogs yet. She likes going camping, but really doesn't know what to do with herself while I sit and read by a fire.

She has earned her keep, though. The story's a bit long for the Forum, but is online here.

Steamguy

Always do the right thing; not because it's easy, but because it's harder.

2019 (Different Shiny Brand) Northwood unit sold - no access for disabled. But still a friendly member.
                      2004 Nissan Titan (Yes, the original owner. Still.)
                      Towing with an Eaz-Lift Trekker
                      http://steamguy.wordpress.com/
                      Avatar: Dara, our Aussie mix rescue, who is brand new to this camping thing, but learning.

Comment

That was some story! The link wouldn't load, but I got in through the link in your signature and scrolled down a little and found it. Yuck!! She was a good dog!!
                        Linda & Dave (retired US Army) and Magic, the Yellow Lab Duck Dog
                        2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i, Les Schwab 105 6-volt batteries, Maxxis Tires, Torque Lift Steps
                        2017 RAM 2500 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4, CTD, 8' Bed, Granite Crystal, new 7/1/17
                        2018 Prius IV, new December 2018

Comment

This is Shiloh our border collie he has been our companion and friend for the past 6 1/2 years. He loves to travel, so that is where we got the name traveling bc. He also loves to herd sheep imagine that!
                          Judy and Mike and Shiloh (BC border collie)

2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L, pulled by a 2010 Ford F250 4 x 4 6.2L V-8 Diesel 5 spd auto trans. Lariat contected by Andersen hitch and powered by a Honda generator EU2000I.

Comment

So my fur baby isn't a rescue but I saw him in a photo and then drove 300 miles to get him. They guessed he would be around 55 pounds or so....... it's the "or so" that can get you. At 17 months he's 84 pounds and is my perfect companion. We are currently enrolled in classes to fine tune the social skills before we spend next summer trailering around Alaska. Australian Shepherd - Standard Poodle mix.
                            Ramona Stephens a/k/a Cowgirl Road Warrior
                            2016 Nash 23D - Hoss
                            2010 Nash 17C - Little Joe
                            2013 dodge Ram 1500 HEMI
                            Yamaha 2000 generator, Andersen hitch
                            Cowpoke - Sitka - Aussiedoodle
                            Cowpoke - Penelope - tolerate tabby cat

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway"
                            John Wayne

Comment

Geordie is my Golden Ret. He's always ready to greet someone and beg for a scratch as he sits and leans his head on their leg.
                              He also needs to see outside. This is his new "spot."
                              2015 Toyota Tundra
                              2016 Nash 17k

Comment

Working...
                              X