Screen guard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen guard

What's the best kind of protective device to put on our screen doors? Our Brittanies are pretty enthusiastic greeters when someone comes to the door or just walks by, so we'll be needing to use something sturdy. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!
    2014 Arctic Fox 25W
    2011 F-350, CC, 6.7L, 4x4, Lariat
    Hensley Arrow

Here is one type I've seen used, but they are spendy: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ls-white/59213
    Maybe you could find something similar at a big box building supply store that would work.
    Linda & Dave (retired US Army) and Magic, the Yellow Lab Duck Dog
    2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i, Les Schwab 105 6-volt batteries, Maxxis Tires, Torque Lift Steps
    2017 RAM 2500 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4, CTD, 8' Bed, Granite Crystal, new 7/1/17
    2018 Prius IV, new December 2018

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions...The one in CW looks sturdy, for sure! Think I'll check Lowe's tomorrow and see if they have something that would work for cheaper, maybe? We're gonna have so much to buy...gotta save a little here and there, where ever we can!!
      2014 Arctic Fox 25W
      2011 F-350, CC, 6.7L, 4x4, Lariat
      Hensley Arrow

Comment

I use a clear acrylic panel fitted to the screen door - without it I wouldn't be able to keep a screen in the door at all
        Lee Stubbs
        2005 Arctic Fox 33-5V -Home sweet home
        2013 Arctic Fox 990 - Get away machine
        2003 Dodge 3500 CTD
        Snicker - Jack Russell Terror
        multiple Super Earth Championships - Senior Veteran
        Griffin - Veteran -multiple Super Earth Championships
        Mayhem - no titles yet

Comment

I like the acrylic idea. Have the three Jack Russell's above ruined the latch to hold the door shut? I think that may be issue even more so with Brittanies. We have mellow Shih Tzu's that just wiggle their behind and look at you cutely through the screen......
          Gary & Connie Burchill; Maggie and Michico the traveling Shih Tzu's
          2012 toyota tundra dbl. cab, tow package,5.7 6spd.
          2014 Nash 23D, Honda 200i
          Avatar:Sun set on Loon Lake, Wa.

Comment

You might consider a sliding bolt on the screen door. It doesn't take much of a push to pop the latch. I'm looking at grills at Home Depot. One problem I noticed with the HD panels is that the diamond pattern in the expanded metal is vertical. The long side is vertical. When I made a trailer for sled dogs years ago, I made sure the diamonds were horizontal so when the dog scratched at it his nails wouldn't get caught in the V. The holes in the commercial screen guards are pretty small and maybe the dog's nails wouldn't go in there anyway? The expanded metal I used for the dog trailer had 1/2" holes as I recall. The decorative scroll stuff would eliminate that problem but, it costs more.
            '06 Ram 2500 CTD QC SLT Big Horn Inferno Red 48RE,3.73, A.R.E. topper, Michelin LTX AT2's,
            Cooper HT's, TT, Equal-i-zer, 1400/14,000, Prodigy\'08 Arctic Fox, 29V, factory solar panel, storm windows and electric tongue jack. 16", alloy wheels,E rated tires, Never lube axles, Yamaha 2400. Jim, and Moby the Cocker

Comment

Our screen door has never fit very well--it is under a lot of tension when closed. Neither of our Labs have been bad about scratching or pushing to door, but we don't take chances. We have the folding grab assist bar next to the left side (from the outside) of the door and just swing it across the door to prevent it opening. We'd probably use the acrylic panel if needed for scratching.
              Linda & Dave (retired US Army) and Magic, the Yellow Lab Duck Dog
              2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i, Les Schwab 105 6-volt batteries, Maxxis Tires, Torque Lift Steps
              2017 RAM 2500 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4, CTD, 8' Bed, Granite Crystal, new 7/1/17
              2018 Prius IV, new December 2018

Comment

Our Chihuahuas get really excited when we are gone for the day and return to the camper. The result of this excitement comes in the form of scratching on the screen door. As you can see in the bottom pic, they managed to destroy part of the door screen. To remedy this problem, we purchased a metal door screen saver that was universally designed for RVís. Our Jayco had a smaller entry door compared to the standard width, therefore the screen saver was a little too wide widthwise but was an overall better fit. It would have fit lengthwise using the adjustable brackets but would have left a few inches of space between the frame and screen saver. I wanted a nice fit, so I decided to discard the brackets and cut down the screen. I drilled out the rivets and removed one side of the outer frame. The screen was cut at the desired width using tin snips. I then reattached the outer frame, drilled the new holes and made the final test fitment before mounting. Everything checked out good, so I aligned the screen saver to the inside door, drilled pilot holes, and screwed it to the door frame. I'm sure we will do the same once we get our Artic Fox.

2015/3.0 Ecodiesel/Big Horn/1500/QCSB/4x4/8HP70

2016/Travel Trailer/Arctic Fox 22G/LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

Comment

We have the CW screen guards, on both doors. They work well and are adjustable for custom fit. We have also replaced the screen with the "dog proof" screen material. A simple replacement job. To keep the screen door from opening, we also use the folding grab assist bar next to the left side (from the outside) of the door and just swing it across the door to prevent it opening and also added the same type of folding grab assist bar to the front door. This is a great way to keep the screen from accidently being left open.
                  Smooth Sailing,
                  Ric and Jan
                  Southern Illinois

USCG Retired

2005 Artic Fox 30U
                  2009 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel w/ Allison Transmission

Comment

We have four mini-dachshunds. They are not too rambunctious, but do give a lively greeting. They had damaged a screen on our home patio door, so I knew what they were capable of. I purchased a radiator screen cover from Lowes, they can be found in many box stores in many sizes colors and designs. The one I selected covers most of the screen, has a nice design, and still allows airflow through the screen. I did have to trim, but an easy job with a heavy pair of shears. I drilled through the door and attached with some little machine bolts, using a cap nut on the outside rather than a regular nut to give a smoother finish, hopefully less snags, although you generally won't be rubbing against the outside of the screen door. Nice and flat on inside, and we can hear the dogs claws scrapping down the holes when we come back to them. Do not see any damage to the screen.
                    Kevin and Yvonne
                    2015 3500HD 4X4 6.7 diesel long box
                    Arctic Fox 2016 27-5L
                    4 miniature Dachshunds, portable solar.http://www.nroa2003.com/forum/fileda...iledataid=5446

Comment

Did something similar.
                      2001 F-350 V-10 4X4 CC 68,000 miles. Added Larger Transmission Cooler, Rear View Camera, ScanGauge II.
                      2018 Nash 26N. 540W Solar, 2nd Bathroom Medicine Cabinet, Progressive Industries EMS, Two Recliners,
                      2015 Nash 17K Previous

Let's Go Geocaching!

Comment

Working...
                      X