Please Visit Our Sponsors

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New 2022 28F about two weeks out - what to look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 2022 28F about two weeks out - what to look for?

Our 28F reportedly came off the NW line last Monday but is being held up waiting for a shower door and one outside compartment door (I think that's what the dealer said). I'm an aerospace quality engineer and know there will probably be little issues with the new RV. We'd really like to hear from any other 28F owners about things to look for.

We're about 60 miles from our dealer LazyDays RV in Loveland, CO. We were about 310 miles from where we bought our 2012 25Y from Smith RV in Casper, WY. The only real issue we had with the 25Y was a leaky slide out seal but NW set it up with a local Denver dealer to fix it. Back then there wasn't a AF dealer in Colorado so if we have any issues with the new 28F we'll be a lot more inclined to take it back to the dealer rather than trying to fix it ourselves.
    2019 Ford SuperDuty with 6.2 gas
    2012 AF25Y for now
    2022 AF28F on order

Originally posted by USAFA69 View Post
    Our 28F reportedly came off the NW line last Monday but is being held up waiting for a shower door and one outside compartment door (I think that's what the dealer said). I'm an aerospace quality engineer and know there will probably be little issues with the new RV. We'd really like to hear from any other 28F owners about things to look for.

We're about 60 miles from our dealer LazyDays RV in Loveland, CO. We were about 310 miles from where we bought our 2012 25Y from Smith RV in Casper, WY. The only real issue we had with the 25Y was a leaky slide out seal but NW set it up with a local Denver dealer to fix it. Back then there wasn't a AF dealer in Colorado so if we have any issues with the new 28F we'll be a lot more inclined to take it back to the dealer rather than trying to fix it ourselves.
    When RV sales are strong they hire new workers who don't have the skills and knowledge of old hands. Such is the case now. I say that in general without first hand knowledge of Northwood's situation. Covid has only compounded matters. Have you seen this thread?

https://www.nroa2003.com/forum/forum...ers-are-fed-up

My BF would say check every screw--you're sure to find some that have no bite because they were over tightened and tore up the lauan.

Remove everything access panel to see what you find. Check all the water connections. Look under the RV and on the roof.

Run the furnace for a good long while to check for short-cycling
    https://www.nroa2003.com/forum/forum...s-you-may-have

Run all the appliamces. See if your comvection oven (if you have one) will come up to the temp set. We have had two and they haven't even been close.

Check all the windows and doors for alignment and proper latching. Check all the cabinet latches for stripped out screws.

Look inside the transfer switch for sawdust and wire strands (fire hazard) etc.

And that's just for starters...LOL

HTH
    2018 Arctic Fox 29-5T, 760 watts rooftop solar, 4 LifeLine GPL-4CT 6 volt AGM batteries, 2800 watt Magnum inverter, 1000 watt Aims inverter, Progressive Power Management System, Hughes Autoformer, Sailun G rated tires, Centramatic wheel balancers

2017 Ford F350 XLT Diesel 4x4 Dually SuperCab, B&W Companion hitch

Comment

Depending how far away your dealer is from your home, plan on staying a night or two at a RV park near your dealer. Some have even camped in the dealer lot if they have hook-ups.

That gives you plenty of time to test and use every appliance and system.

No matter how thorough the sales walk-thru, your bound to miss something. Actually using the trailer for 1-2 days brings out the system bugs and if there is an issue, you don't have to drive 100's+ miles to have them corrected.
      Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Thanks everybody. I plan to use the PDI checklist. I was wondering if there is anything specific to the 28F model.
        2012 AF25Y for now
        2022 AF28F on order

Comment

You will get plenty of help from this great forum and maybe the dealer if you get lucky but you can't count on Northwood customer service. They are horrible in my opinion.
          2017 Chevy Duramax 3500 LTZ DRW + 50 gal Transfer flow Aux Tank + Trailer Saver BD-5
          2020 Arctic Fox 32-5m with all bells and whistles. Disc Brakes - Easy starts - RV airflow - 17.5 wheels - Sailun 637 H rated tires

Comment

We provided the dealer with our PDI list beforehand so there was a mutual understanding regarding our expectations. We also arranged to spend the first night on the dealers lot. I was very glad I'd followed that advice since we had a long list of items and questions. They will probably be pretty keen to get it all taken care of to have you on your way.

One example was a gouge in the table identified during the walk through. The had the audacity to ask us if we wanted to keep it. Really? The next morning they had the table exchanged with another unit on the lot. Otherwise we'd have had to make an appt. when the new one came in from almost two hundred miles away. As we used all the systems we discovered a leak around the shower. Again the next morning it was taken care of. There were some other items but it's been a while and as time has passed only the big items remain in recall.

As an aside, evidently our point person complained to the owner about how much of his time we were taking, prompting the owner to come out to the new unit to voice his objections. Having just spent $40+k my first reaction was I wish I'd have followed another piece of advice and refused to sign the final papers till all was in order. In the end I flattered him with the story about how we'd come to be at his dealership when we could have chosen a different one and how pleased we'd been with the purchase process. That seemed to placate his internal issues and we continued on.

In rereading this I see where your main reason for this posting was for 28F specifically. In that regard this response my not be what you were hoping for.

Since this isn't your first rodeo you'll navigate the process and be sure it's to your liking. They are after all working for you!
            2011 F-250 Extended Cab, 4x4, 6.7, Bilstein 5100, Bigwig front & rear, Air Lift w/wireless
            2014 30U, Pro Pride 3P,Strap-Tec
            Gary, Mary and PWD's: Nemo & Andy

Comment

Northwood doesn't insist you go to an AF dealer, but, they do insist that wherever you go that the shop agrees to Northwood's price for the work, and therein lies the rub. Trying to find any shop without having to wait months for an appointment can be a real challenge, let alone one that will work for a what a manufacturer is willing to pay, plus a shop that has any competency??? Good luck. That can be no small task. We have been turned away flat from shops that were so busy they were only servicing customers who bought from them.

That said, we did once have some warranty work done at a shop on short notice hundreds of miles from the selling dealer...years ago.

Shops are probably way, way busier nowadays considering the Covid RV sales explosion combined with the drop in build quality that has accompanied the increased sales and the lack of workers. A perfect storm that could make getting service in a timely fashion more difficult than it already was.

The selling dealer is the only shop with any obligation to work on a Northwood product, BTW.

2018 Arctic Fox 29-5T, 760 watts rooftop solar, 4 LifeLine GPL-4CT 6 volt AGM batteries, 2800 watt Magnum inverter, 1000 watt Aims inverter, Progressive Power Management System, Hughes Autoformer, Sailun G rated tires, Centramatic wheel balancers

Comment

Originally posted by ArcticFoxy View Post

Northwood doesn't insist you go to an AF dealer, but, they do insist that wherever you go that the shop agrees to Northwood's price for the work, and therein lies the rub. Trying to find any shop without having to wait months for an appointment can be a real challenge, let alone one that will work for a what a manufacturer is willing to pay, plus a shop that has any competency??? Good luck. That can be no small task. We have been turned away flat from shops that were so busy they were only servicing customers who bought from them...
                That's why more & more, RV's on the road are using mobile RV repair.
                • Often same day repairs
                • Usually semi-retired dealer trained repairmen with years of RV experience
                • They come to you, instead of driving to find their shop
                • Most RV parks in a town can refer RV'rs to a good mobile RV mechanic
                • Often cheaper than a dealer (lower overhead)
                • Many have common parts / welding capabilities on their service truck
                Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Originally posted by RocklinDave View Post

That's why more & more, RV's on the road are using mobile RV repair.
                  • Often same day repairs
                  • Usually semi-retired dealer trained repairmen with years of RV experience
                  • They come to you, instead of driving to find their shop
                  • Most RV parks in a town can refer RV'rs to a good mobile RV mechanic
                  • Often cheaper than a dealer (lower overhead)
                  • Many have common parts / welding capabilities on their service truck
                  Good point. Glad you mentioned it. In fact, now that you mention it I am reminded that we once used a mobile repair and were reimbursed by Northwood. It was only for $35 as I recall and we were surprised the bill wasn't for three times that.

Comment

+1 on the mobile repair services. We had one of our dump valves replaced while camped at Prospector CG in Summit County, Colorado. It started leaking while we were out for the summer. Every repair place we called wanted us to bring the RV to them but I didn't want to have to break camp and tow the RV back to Denver. We finally found a mobile repair service who came out and did the job without having to break camp. It was reasonable too. Since we typically spend 100-120 days in Summit County every summer to get out of the heat in Denver, they are a godsend.

BTW, we were told that our 28F came off the line at Northwood two weeks ago but is waiting for a shower door and exterior compartment door. Still no word on when we might get it.
                    2012 AF25Y for now
                    2022 AF28F on order

Comment

It's here!!!! WooHoo... I'll be picking it up a week from tomorrow. Besides a full checkout, I'm having extra solar panels put on the roof for a total of 500watts. They said the ZAMP controller on the coach was sized to handle accessory panels and up to 510 watts so Northwood must have heard the winds of change blowing. Also having a 12v outlet put in the headboard to power my CPAP. I'm going with two 6v batteries with 230 amp-hrs for now. Adding more battery capacity is on my list in the future.

Now we're starting to think about where to go for a shakedown cruise. That's going to be a little iffy given the snow that's starting to hit. All of the forest service campgrounds have shut down nearby. We could go to the State Parks since Colorado's generally keep at least one loop open all year. Other than the USAFA famcamp which stays open all year (I actually spent three months camping there in and around December while on a temporary work assignment a few years ago) we're not familiar with any of the other CGs in scenic areas.

I'll post more about the checkout results after we've picked it up in a week.
                      2012 AF25Y for now
                      2022 AF28F on order

Comment

Our dealer, RV Sales in Moriarty NM, has 2-3 water/electric hookup onsite and strongly encourage you to stay a day or do onsite. Had them solve several issues onsite:

- Touch up sealants on the roof.
                        - Fix a drawer rail alignment
                        - Use their forklift to help me determine actual height (13' 6" with the vent covers)
                        - Solve a leak that manifested in the bathroom - they didn't solve this, but I did later: https://www.nroa2003.com/forum/forum...ion-of-my-diag

A few other minor issues were found after, but it was easier to fix myself than take it down to them.

Good Luck!
                        -Kyle
                        2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
                        • 4 pt Auto Level / 15k Single AC / 50 Amp (no Gen)
                        • 3xFantastic Fans / 3xFantastic Covers
                        • Sofa with Air Bed / Dinette / Slow Rise Shades
                        • Factory 2" Receiver hitch
                        • MODS
                          • 395W Solar / Rear Camera / TPS / Flagpole Buddy / BMV-712 / Fridge Defend
                        2020 Chevy 3500 Dually LTZ

Comment

It's here!!!! WooHoo... I'll be picking it up a week from tomorrow. Besides a full checkout, I'm having extra solar panels put on the roof for a total of 500watts. They said the ZAMP controller on the coach was sized to handle accessory panels and up to 510 watts so Northwood must have heard the winds of change blowing. Also having a 12v outlet put in the headboard to power my CPAP. I'm going with two 6v batteries with 230 amp-hrs for now. Adding more battery capacity is on my list in the future.

Now we're starting to think about where to go for a shakedown cruise. That's going to be a little iffy given the snow that's starting to hit. All of the forest service campgrounds have shut down nearby. We could go to the State Parks since Colorado's generally keep at least one loop open all year. Other than the USAFA famcamp which stays open all year (I actually spent three months camping there in and around December while on a temporary work assignment a few years ago) we're not familiar with any of the other CGs in scenic areas.

I'll post more about the checkout results after we've picked it up in a week.
                          Congrats.

You're not new to RVing. Even so, we too suggest staying near the dealer for at least several days and make an appointment for a few days after pickup (even before you pick it up if you can) to have them fix any issues that arise. If you don't need to bring it back they should have plenty of other work to do if you don't.

It can take awhile to shake things out. We're still doing it 4 years later! LOL.

Comment

In our new 25R the hanger bar in the closet for the coat hangers was mounted 8 inches from the back wall of the closet so it was really hard to get the hangers in the triangle slots. Then it started to pull away from the shelf so I added some new screws that’s when I realized it was only mounted to 1/8 inch paneling. The shelf is made from 2 pieces of paneling with 1x4 in the center. With a stud finder I found the 1x4 in the center which was the backing for the hanger bar, so I just removed the bar and moved it 4 inches forward to the center of the backing which is the center of the closet and remounted it, and now it all works great as it should. It must have been mounted by someone new who did not realize the layout. No problem except the holes in the shelf behind the bar which I picked up a piece of dark trim to cover. I myself would rather fix things that way it’s done to my satisfaction.
                            2021 25R 2017 GMC 2500 6L Gas

Comment

Those are all good thoughts. I'm only an hour away from the dealer and the nearest state park with hookups is only 4 miles from my house (I bike there from my house) and on the way to my work (yes, I'm 75 and still working). I could only stay one night at the dealer anyway because I'm going to the Broncos game on Sunday. But I could camp in it at the state park all the next week and still get to work when I need.

I gave the checklist to the dealer and they didn't bat an eye. I'm scheduled for a two hour orientation/checkout prior to signing any papers. We'll see how it goes.

As far as hangers go, they've always been a sore spot for us. I plan to replace the existing hanger bar with a plain rod once I figure out how to do it securely.
                              2012 AF25Y for now
                              2022 AF28F on order

Comment

Working...
                              X