Looking forward to our 27-5L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking forward to our 27-5L

We traveled for probably 60-70K miles through the west in a 2003 Nash 28-5D with our kids and dogs. Wonderful memories with an amazing and capable trailer. The kids are now responsible adults with lives of their own, so we recently decided it was time to upgrade to the trailer we've been spec'ing out for years! We sold our old trailer to a nice family who we hope will love as much as we did. We've been told our new 27-5L is coming off the line July 26th with delivery to us a few weeks later, and we are sooo looking forward to the new trailer.
    Safe travels! - Karen & Marcel
    Burlet Clan: Karen & Marcel
    Jacob: Lab/Akita, Lola: Boxer/Pit
    "White Zin": Chevy Silverado 2500HD High Country
    "Dalai Lama - One With Everything": Arctic Fox 27-5L

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your soon to be new toy.
    I recently acquired a 2006 29-5T for me and the wife to restart our camping adventures. This is my first AF trailer, but my 4th camping trailer over the years.
    These AF's certainly are well constructed, from what I have seen in my preventative maintenance diggings on the trailer.
    Marc Martin from sunny California

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab, 6'4" bed, 4x4 CTD 6 speed auto, 4:10 gears with Centramatics
    2006 Arctic Fox 29-5T with Haloview RD7 cameras & steadyfast stabilizers

Comment

Welcome, marcel. Don’t forget to search for all the mods posted by the 27-5 owners on the forum. Lots of info for your particular rig.
      PQ
      Mark and Anita
      2020 25Y dutifully following a 2014 F-350 diesel SB

Comment

Congrats on the new trailer!

I think you've made some good choices in the AF27-5L and joining this forum. There is a ton of information here - sometimes you have to dig but it's here.

Get your PDI list started and expect to spend several hours at the dealer. Don't be in a hurry to enjoy the new trailer Don't let them tell you they will fix it later after you develop a punch list.

I think the smartest thing I've heard when buying a new trailer is to camp for a week or so right in LaGrande. Use everything in the trailer and after a couple of weeks arrange to take the trailer back to the factory for warranty work.

The warranty is 1 year. My best suggestion is that during that 1st year you have the wheel bearings inspected and repacked.

Enjoy the AF27-5L. We love that model so much we've owned 2 of them. Our first was a 2001 AF27-5L and our second is 2017.

Bill

Bill, Mary, and Scottie
        2015 RAM 3500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin, SRW, Hensley BD-3 Hitch
        2017 AF 27-5L
        http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/719790.png

Comment

We love our 27-5 and wouldn’t trade it for anything. I will warn you that trailer is 13’6” so watch carefully for height clearance. My TV antenna disappeared on our second trip, it either fell off because the factory didn’t install it correctly or it caught on a low tree limb overhanging a highway.

I’m really not blaming the factory, it is a tricky install. The mast is screwed to the roof (that stayed on without any damage, the flying saucer top is pushed onto the mast and is held by detents. When replaced the flying saucer I couldn’t push it all the way down over the detents. I pulled up and it wouldn’t budge so I added a couple of wraps of duct tape on the seam and haven’t had any further problems.

Enjoy the unit.
          Jerry, Kathie, &
          Bo, one giant Lab
          2019 AF27-5
          2017 Nash 24M (Sold)
          2016 F250, 4X4, 6.7L
          Added 2 leaf springs each side
          50 gal Titan Fuel Tank
          Pressure Pro TPMS
          blog: 7rwanderers.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry and Kathie View Post
            My TV antenna disappeared on our second trip, it either fell off because the factory didn’t install it correctly or it caught on a low tree limb overhanging a highway.
            Replacing the saucer section with another saucer will help you become an expert in repairs after future saucer separations, IMHO. To prevent making myself an expert, I replaced the whole antenna with a Winegard Air 360 that hugs the roof and gives less of a chance of removal by branches. It was less than $100 and took about 30 min on top of a 10' ladder to R&R. You could do it from on top of the roof if you prefer.

For the OP, you chose a great 5th and I hope you enjoy it to the fullest.

Back to morning brew . . .

2019 27-5L
            Companion Hitch
            2015 RAM 3500 LB Crew Cab SRW Aisian

Retired
            '03 24-5N (w/~80k miles)
            '03 RAM 2500 LB Crew Cab 6sp manual

Comment

How does the reception of the Winegard compare to the "saucer" style antenna? Not at all impressed with the reception of the stock antenna.
              2019 Fox 29-5T dual A/C 6 point leveling TST507 flow threw Progressive EMS
              2007 K3500 Duramax, Allison,

Comment

Originally posted by Buck&Sally View Post
                How does the reception of the Winegard compare to the "saucer" style antenna? Not at all impressed with the reception of the stock antenna.
                X2
                2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
                2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
                2018 Arctic Fox 29L; Traded in
                *2001 Arctic Fox 29V; Sold
                South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Buck&Sally View Post
                  How does the reception of the Winegard compare to the "saucer" style antenna?
                  I haven't been out towards the boonies since the install, but where I am (between Sac & SF) I received 60 some odd channels as would be expected in this area. We won't be going anywhere this year due to a couple issues that need my attention here. If I were to do it again, I'd do it again.

2019 27-5L
                  Companion Hitch
                  2015 RAM 3500 LB Crew Cab SRW Aisian

Retired
                  '03 24-5N (w/~80k miles)
                  '03 RAM 2500 LB Crew Cab 6sp manual

Comment

[Get your PDI list started and expect to spend several hours at the dealer. Don't be in a hurry to enjoy the new trailer Don't let them tell you they will fix it later after you develop a punch list.

I think the smartest thing I've heard when buying a new trailer is to camp for a week or so right in LaGrande. Use everything in the trailer and after a couple of weeks arrange to take the trailer back to the factory for warranty work.

The warranty is 1 year. My best suggestion is that during that 1st year you have the wheel bearings inspected and repacked.]

I strongly agree with all of this! We camped for a couple nights. Had to have door re-hung to bathroom. Thunder RV was great! We also had 2 overgreased wheel bearings from factory, discovered on maiden trip to desert. Dexter was very good on warranty and sent complete backing plate/brake assemblies overnight. So glad I checked. Fairly common fail. Maybe Dexter has it under control now.
                    2014 RAM CTD, Aisin, SRW and 4WD, 2019 AF 27-5L for long term stays, 2008 AF 24-5N for short trips, rough travel, small CG, cabover alumininum boat loader, 12' Kevlar rowboat, Bayley the Bird Dog runs the show.

Comment

Working...
                    X