New to AF family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to AF family

Just thought I would introduce myself. Hi, my name is Marc. The wife and I just bought a used 2006 AF 29-5T to use for our social distancing vacations.
    Not new to the trailer world, this is my 6th towed camper over the past 30 years. 2 TT, 2 5ers and 2 tent trailers (pulled behind my Gold wing).

I have purchased the trailer, but am waiting on hitch parts to install in my 2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 with a 6.7 cummins. Total weight and pin weights should be good, based on the brochure info, but I will run it across the scales at my work that I have previously weighed the truck on.

All that said, I am interested in finding out about things I might need to be aware of on an AF trailer.
    I know I gleaned lots of information from the motorcycle forums and I am hoping the same camaraderiewill be found on this forum.
    Marc Martin from sunny California

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD 6 speed auto, 4:10 gears
    2006 Arctic Fox 29-5T

I have a 2007 29-5 E and pull it with 2005 F250 6.0 diesel so you should be just dandy with what you have ! Enjoy it. Was yours built in VA or OR ? Look at the VIN tag on drivers side near front.
    BPofMD - Bud & Penny / Actively Retired Navy Vet
    2005 F250 6.0 - TorqLift Upper Overloads
    2007 Silver Fox 29-E 5th Wheel / Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    2015 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Comment

Can't look right now, trailer is about 3 hours south of me. Need to get my hitch stuff so I can install it on the truck and then go pull it home.
      Is there some differences between the two locations as far as the builds?

2006 Arctic Fox 29-5T

Comment

Hey Marc, welcome. I don't have any help with the trailer or your truck, but as a suggestion you might want to add the trailer and truck info to your signature. Then if you have questions along the way regarding either one people can see what you have at a glance.
        2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali 4x4 Diesel
        2017 Arctic Fox 22G.

Comment

Thanks Hammster - completed

2006 Arctic Fox 29-5T

Comment

Welcome to the forum Marc! You will find a TON of helpful information and people hanging around here, so don't be shy, get involved, and enjoy!
            2006 Chevy HD2500 DuramaxLBZ-Allison ExCab Longbed LT3 4x4
            Line-X, A.R.E. CX Shell, KargoMaster Rack, Prodigy
            2005 Arctic Fox 22H, Yamaha EF3000iSEB
            Celia's Gourmet Foods
            Gourmet Barrel Aged Balsamic Vinegars & Infused Olive Oils

Comment

Welcome. As more than one member has commented, "I don't know if I can afford to read this forum",
              when you start seeing all the cool mods you can do to your rig. Let the spending begin.
              Kim + Betsy
              I do all my own stunts....just ask my wife.
              2017 AF 35-5Z
              2017 F450 Lariat

Comment

Originally posted by nwtraveler View Post
                Welcome. As more than one member has commented, "I don't know if I can afford to read this forum",
                when you start seeing all the cool mods you can do to your rig. Let the spending begin.
                I am familiar with this phenomenon. Same thing happened with the Gold Wing motorcycle forum I was active on. Sold the bike on Monday so now I am spending time thinking about the needs and wants of the new to me AF. I have some needs to address first, such as replacing the broken battery disconnect switch. I am ranking a high quality cover and a back up / monitoring system with 3 cameras as high on my "need" side of things. Of course, that may change once I have the trailer home where I can look and inspect and MacGyver solutions to things I see that "could be better".

2006 Arctic Fox 29-5T

Comment

if you haven't bought the 5th wheel hitch I suggest looking at the Andersen Ultimate Hitch; easy to install and only weighs 35#; mine attaches to my goose neck hitch
                  Bill, '04 Dodge 2500 diesel, 2020 Arctic Fox 29-5T

Comment

Bill - I just finished installing an Anderson 3200 hitch, it attaches to the traditional 5th wheel rails, which I also installed. Going this morning to pick up the trailer, bring it home by way of the scales I used to weight the truck already. What year are your truck and trailer? We could be twins

2006 Arctic Fox 29-5T

Comment

currently my Dodge is a 2004 but we just ordered a 2020 high output, hope to have it before Christmas; our trailer is a 2020 which we've only used a couple of times because of all the shut downs

Comment

Are you getting another 2500? or moving up to the 3500 with the heavier 2020 trailer?

2006 Arctic Fox 29-5T

Comment

3500 single tire with the air suspension

Comment

Originally posted by bconger View Post
                            3500 single tire with the air suspension
                            We almost got the dually. I liked the air suspension option. DW didn't like the seats.

We never even got off the dealer's lot for a test drive.
                            Kim + Betsy
                            I do all my own stunts....just ask my wife.
                            2017 AF 35-5Z
                            2017 F450 Lariat

Comment

we've had a dually once and the better half didn't care for the ride; my '04 2500 handles the load of our Fox but the new 2500's have a softer ride (perhaps Dodge wants their 2500's to ride like a Chevy) and they use coil springs to get there, having hauled trailers (horse and others) for many years I prefer the leaf springs and a little heavier suspension. We did choose to go with an aftermarket air system from the dealer which has some advantages to the factory system

Comment

Working...
                              X