Please Visit Our Sponsors

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purchasing Used Nash or Arctic Fox. However, Lack Of Owner Maintenance........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing Used Nash or Arctic Fox. However, Lack Of Owner Maintenance........

Hello, We are seeking to purchase a four seasons trailer for family camping trips mostly during the shoulder season as we boat all summer. This means winter camping once a month and we want to be able to use running water so I want sealed tanks and good insulation. This search lead me to Northwoods products. However, we have looked at over a dozen- whatever has come up in our metro and even up to four hundred miles each way, age range 1999- 2015, pricing from $6900-15,000 with both aluminum and fiberglass siding and we have yet to find one that the owner maintained correctly to avoid the extensive leak damage we have found on every unit whether for sale by owner or through well known, long standing dealerships that claim to look their trade-ins over really well before putting them on the lot. here are some examples of what we have run into: Private owner 2008 19B we really liked and agreed to pay the owners price of $9000 because it looked like new inside. Re-checked the exterior only to find blistering of the aluminum in the front and holes in the aluminum near the rear bathroom floor. We also looked at fiberglass sided 2008 22H in Central Oregon. When I pressed on the siding below where the front window is from underneath the drivers side storage, my finger went through due to dry rot which was extensive there and the person is still advertising it as having no leaks. We have found these window leak issues on every one along with siding coming loose probably form roof top leaks. We looked at a 2015 at a dealership and the front window leaked and caused mold in the cabinet by the couch. After seeing this in about a dozen Northwood products, I became frustrated and called the factory and they said all caulk joints have to be sealed annually or sooner if it looks compromised by travel or weather. We speculated together that since people are buying a high end item they might think they have no maintenance to the exterior other than washing. This is as frustrating to the company as it has been to us because we started to doubt the brand altogether. A new one is not in our budget so we are trying for five years of age hoping to find one we can start to maintain well and hopefully avoid what we have seen due to this lack of annual caulking. Thoughts? And anyone looking to sell a well maintained 19B or 22H in either the Nash or Arctic Fox, please get a hold of us. Thanks

You are on the correct track, by looking & passing on water damaged RV's.

Tires can be replaced, furnaces repaired and faucets changed, but water damage (often times hidden in walls and floors) due to poor / improper maintenance can be VERY time consuming and expensive.

A yearly interior / exterior inspection for water intrusion and/or damage, coupled with inspecting all caulking areas and re-sealing if necessary, is a quick inexpensive DIY project.

Northwood owners tend to keep their trailers for many many years, due to their quality, but like anything, if you fail to do routine maintenance, it's going to suffer.

It's like your neighborhood, a vast majority of the homes are painted and well maintained, but there's always that one house with deferred maintenance that is literately falling apart.

Don't sour on Northwood's quality and reputation, based on a 'few bad apples' out there for sale.

From time to time, a member will post a trailer he's selling. They are usually sold quickly. Keep an eye out on the forum and you might get lucky.
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Thank you RocklinDave for confirming our thoughts about avoiding water damage . We are absolutely not soured on this brand and posted a WTB. We love camping and did a lot of it with the Airstream club we belonged to as well as on our own for the past forty years. We are preferring a 19B or 22H because they have everything we need. If a 17C had a wider settee to accommodate grandchildren, we would have already purchased a one owner 2008 one we recently found. We currently camp in our older Roadtrek with the higher clearance Dodge chassis. That has been and continues to be a spectacular rig, incredibly well built and thought out. The interior is so clever, much like our Ranger Tugs 21 EC, that I marvel every time we camp in it, which is once per month, including winters. However, we want to be able to detach to go explore more easily and we want to accommodate having folks over when it is too cold to stay outside. Am impressed with the brand but not with the maintenance we have seen thus far. I don't think the private sellers we met were intentionally ignoring their trailers. I do think they were just undereducated about trailer maintenance. I think the company needs to send a video tape out with every trailer they sell that stresses the importance of inspection and caulking. Love to camp and meet other campers. It's all about being in glorious nature and connecting with others who share the passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
        ... I think the company needs to send a video tape out with every trailer they sell that stresses the importance of inspection and caulking...
        I think that's one reason this forum was formed, was to give owners / members information and tips on how to care for their trailers.

During the annual June Northwood rally, employees from the nearby Northwood factory come to the campground and show owners how to inspect, remove and re-caulk their trailers. Northwood also allows members to tour their factory floor.

We have over 80,000 miles on our 4-year old, 5th wheel (Alaska twice, cross country 6 times + other excursions) and have had only a couple of small items replaced under manufacturer warranty / recall (not the fault of Northwood) and our trailer still looks / feels like new... of course we are on our 3rd set of tires .
        Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

We have a 2002 AF 25Rr that hasn't had any problems with leaks, other than a small one around the rear water heater exhaust caused by no caulking at the factory when new. They fixed that one years later when we had new fiberglass put on front and rear--had some small delamination we thought might be serious leaks and that wasn't the case--no leaks on the front and just the one they fixed when they re-sided on the rear. They last a long time if taken care of!
          Linda & Dave (retired US Army) and Magic, the Yellow Lab Duck Dog
          2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i, Les Schwab 105 6-volt batteries, Maxxis Tires, Torque Lift Steps
          2017 RAM 2500 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4, CTD, 8' Bed, Granite Crystal, new 7/1/17
          2018 Prius IV, new December 2018

Comment

Originally posted by RocklinDave View Post

I think that's one reason this forum was formed, was to give owners / members information and tips on how to care for their trailers.

During the annual June Northwood rally, employees from the nearby Northwood factory come to the campground and show owners how to inspect, remove and re-caulk their trailers. Northwood also allows members to tour their factory floor.

We have over 80,000 miles on our 4-year old, 5th wheel (Alaska twice, cross country 6 times + other excursions) and have had only a couple of small items replaced under manufacturer warranty / recall (not the fault of Northwood) and our trailer still looks / feels like new... of course we are on our 3rd set of tires .
            Personally I think that inspecting for leaks and re-caulking is too important a maintenance procedure to do myself. I take our 24M to a reputable RV shop every fall to have a leak test and to have the leaks sealed. It has never cost me more than $150.00 CD and is cheep insurance. This year there were 3 seams that required sealant Also the techs that I use tell me that if they were to purchase an RV it would be a Northwood product.
            2009 Silverado 1500 HD
            2015 Nash 24M
            4 legged buddy- Sherlock the American Cocker

Comment

Fireman 2 makes a great case for having an annual checkup done by a reputable RV shop. As an added bonus, the shop become familiar with your RV. This site has been amazing for gathering information. It is nice to know that when we buy our Northwoods trailer, we can find answers to any questions and hopefully be contributors. We have sure enjoyed that with other RV and boat forums. I believe Northwood is a responsive company and are building a great product. Like any product not built by robots, there will be errors from time to time but it seems they stand by those but cannot be expected to stand by damage caused by owner negligence. Looking forward to more studying over the next several weeks as time permits.

Comment

Working...
              X