AF 22G vs 23D - Slide dependablity questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AF 22G vs 23D - Slide dependablity questions

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie (just joined) so If this is in the wrong forum in which to post this, I'm open to guidance and corrections.

Here goes: My wife and I are looking to get a used Nash of AF. I'm looking at units anywhere from 2000 to around 2015 model years.

After A LOT of research, I keep coming back to NW. While they're not perfect their design integrity, floor plans and overall quality seem to be the best overall option. We had landed on the 22G floor plan as it gives us the walk-around queen (great for getting up at night without having to crawl over each other to go to the bathroom). Sufficiently roomy, good storage, a pretty open floor plan, etc.

Then I came across a Nash 23D, a floor plan I hadn't previously come across in my research. REALLY like how the slider opens up the floor plan... seems like the cat's meow. That sent me on another trajectory in my research, that being sliders, how dependable or troublesome they are, etc.

I'm a pretty technical guy and have worked on stuff all my life. I know ALL sliders need maintenance, and ALL sliders eventually have problems.

So... these are the questions I'm trying to get answered:

- Are NW slide-outs pretty dependable overall?

- Are there known issues with larger slide-outs vs. smaller slide-outs?

- Are there certain years/models that stand out, or to avoid?

- Did NW use different vendors different years, and are certain brands (or types) of mechanisms better than others (i.e., Schwintek vs Brand X, etc.)?

- Lastly: LEAKAGE issues?

Thanks in advance to anyone who wishes to offer me info on any of the above questions. I would be grateful for all input!

--John
    Future AF22G or 23D owner!
    2013 GMC Sierra 1500, Z71 4WD, crew cab, 5.3L V8, full tow pkg

The Schwintek slide on my 23D has been trouble free. Good luck on your search!
    Dave & Sandy
    2017 F250 6.7L Powerstroke 4WD
    2013 Nash 23D
    Equalizer Brand 1400#
    40 Amp AM Solar System
    Trojan T145+

Comment

Thx for your input, Dave. I read some stuff that the Schwintek system was for lighter-weight slide-outs, so that led me to wonder about its durability.

There is a Nash 23D up there in the Grass Valley area on CL that looks interesting.

Do you mind if I ask you how your overall owner experience has been with your 2013? My understanding is that the Nash are wood-framed while the AFs are aluminum framed.

Comment

I just amended my original post... forgot to put the last question, relating to leakage issues. How has your 23D been in that regard?

Comment

Slides have evolved to the point of being mostly problem free. Like anything mechanical, they can fail, but they are common enough that repair is easier than it was in the beginning. Same with leakage. Manufacturing counts, but its attention to annual inspection and maintenance that makes a difference. A poorly maintained Nash will be a worse investment than a well maintained SOB. But from what I've seen most Northwood owners purchased for a reason and keep their units in better than average condition. That's why a used Nash will cost you more than a comparable vintage SOB. According to Northwood, the wood framed Nash will handle rough roads better than the aluminum framed Foxes. Mostly due to some intrinsic flex in the construction.

When our sons friend bought a new SOB TT, our son started looking for something similar. I encouraged him to look for a used Northwood. With our encouragement he ended up with 22H that cost almost as much as his buddy paid for new. Both questioned the wisdom until after the first 6 months of weekend camping. The SOB spent a bunch of that time at the dealer and it literally falling apart. Our son was still a happy camper.

Find a well maintained Northwood and don't look back.
          Ken and Rita Madsen
          2018 GMC 3500 Duramax, 2016 27-5L

Comment

For newbees here, SOB = Some Other Brand.
            BPofMD - Bud & Penny / Actively Retired Navy Vet
            2005 F250 6.0 - TorqLift Upper Overloads
            2007 Silver Fox 29-E 5th Wheel / Anderson Ultimate Hitch
            2015 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Comment

As for leaks, check for proper maintenance of the caulking of roof areas, seams, windows / doors, etc. Also check the roof for surface damage and the interior ceiling / under interior windows for water staining.

Delamination of the exterior skin of a trailer (ripples / soft areas) can be a sign of interior wall water damage.

Some trailers are manufactured with front facing windows in the front cap (Northwood has discontinued the window in that location).

The cap window can have a tendency to leak water into the front wall area, due to water + wind, while driving.

If you are looking at a used trailer with a front window, carefully inspect the exterior / interior walls and the areas around the front window for water intrusion / damage.

There's a PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) list on this site, that will give you many points to look for in a new / used trailer purchase.
              Last edited by RocklinDave; 11-27-2019, 04:23 PM.
              Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Having heard and read the horror stories I hold my breath every time I rocker the switch. When we took delivery of our 26N, the top front corner was not closing tight against the side of the TT. Apache in Portland had to keep the TT for about a week and with help from the factory was eventually able to get it perfect. Not sure what they did but apparently it was not easy even for a busy dealer like Apache. So far it has been fine in normal usage. There was once when I went to put it out and nothing happened. Pushed the rocker a few times and no sound, nothing. Stood there with my heart in my throat thinking we would be camping that trip with the slide in. Went through a mental checklist and all, including full battery charge was OK. Then tried the switch again and out it went like normal. Spent the next few days worried it might not come in but it did and has functioned normally since. Even still, now that I am retired and spend so much time in the TT, I would not want to have a model without a slide. It really opens up the living space for two people and two dogs.

I did find a video that showed how to disengage the motors on our model slide and, with the help of a couple other people, manually push the slide in. I sure hope we never have to do it! Schwintek RV Slide Out Manual Override

One thing I have found is hit or miss is to find what really should be done for ongoing maintenance to reduce the chance of a malfunction. Most advice on diagnosing a problem seems to focus on the electric control box issues, but that seems less confusing. We have directions on how to override that if it malfunctions and bring the slide in. Ours is in an accessible location and seems pretty basic to follow directions on what to do if it malfunctions or even to replace it. It is the mechanical part of the slide that worries me. On ours, the motors are inside the walls.

I have started another thread specifically to get recommendations from people on what to do to lessen the chances of a problem. That thread is here.
                2001 F-350 V-10 4X4 CC 72,000 miles. Larger Transmission Cooler, Rear View Camera, ScanGauge.
                2018 Nash 26N. 900W Solar, 2nd Bathroom Medicine Cabinet, Progressive Industries EMS, Two Recliners and Kitchen Counter Wall,
                2015 Nash 17K Previous

Comment

If you don't need the extra interior space, the 22G may be stronger, more energy efficient and hassle free. I am glad Northwood makes the Artic Fox 22G. If I need more space, I go outside.
                  GMC 2500HD SLT Double Cab 2017 - Arctic Fox 22G 2018

Comment

If you don't need the extra interior space, the 22G may be stronger, more energy efficient and hassle free. I am glad Northwood makes the Artic Fox 22G. If I need more space, I go outside.
                    GMC 2500HD SLT Double Cab 2017 - Arctic Fox 22G 2018

Comment

Thanks all for your input. Very helpful.

Ken/Rita: Good perspective on the sliders. And I agree that quality does in fact cost more but will worth it in the long run. That's a big reason we keep coming back to NW. Your comments re: quality certainly resonate. In all my research, one thing continues to surface: There are a ton of brands, but almost all are some level of crap. It has been a real eye opener to see the degree to which the vast majority of RV brands have pervasive issues with quality. I was also struck by your comments re: the wood-framed Nash holding up better under rougher use that many competitors' aluminum-framed models. Interesting.

Bud/Penny: Thx for that clarification. I'm learning the lingo!

Dave/Donna: Excellent tips and suggestions. I have some experience with sniffing out water intrusion in construction and will inspect any unit considered very, very carefully with a bright light and healthy measure of skepticism (and that's in addition to all the other things I'll be inspecting!). Also, great suggestion to utilize the PDI list. Will do!

Will: Great comments on the slide-out mechanics and concerns. I"m glad it ultimately worked for you, but if it was me, I'd lie awake at night wondering what the heck caused the problem in the first place, and if it would happen again (and, Mr. Murphy being rather consistent, chances are it would likely happen at the worst possible time!). We only have one dog, but she's about 60 lbs... so there's that. I will definitely look at that separate thread on preventative steps one can take. Proactive is always better, right?

Astrocamper: While 23D isn't appreciably longer than the 22G, but it does have the nice open center area with the slide out, and that really appeals to us. That said, the 22G is right up there too. Brilliant yet simple floor plan, not too claustrophobic, no potential slide issues. Tough choice, honestly.

In the end, our quest for quality will translate into fewer problems on the road (and in the campground), and that's worth a lot to me. I'm no stranger to a tool box, but I don't want to spend any more time than necessary with things going haywire. This pursuit for a quality TT has made our search necessarily a bit longer (tries the patience!) but in the end it'll be well worth the wait.

Thx again all for your time in commenting. Much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by AFguy57 View Post
                        if it was me, I'd lie awake at night wondering what the heck caused the problem in the first place, and if it would happen again (and, Mr. Murphy being rather consistent, chances are it would likely happen at the worst possible time!).
                        I think because it was just dead with no sound or any attempt at moving etc., it was most likely an issue with the switch or, maybe the controller. Either of those would be easier to fix or bypass than a mechanical problem with the motors or the slide itself so I am thankful for that. But yes if a person tends towards worrying, a slide might be a cause for concern! There have been many cold, wet, winter days where I have been thankful for the extra interior space, so that is a consideration if you live in the Pacific Northwest and don't put your TT away for the winter. I think maintenance and prevention is important with slides, so hopefully some will post in that other thread with recommendations.
                        2001 F-350 V-10 4X4 CC 72,000 miles. Larger Transmission Cooler, Rear View Camera, ScanGauge.
                        2018 Nash 26N. 900W Solar, 2nd Bathroom Medicine Cabinet, Progressive Industries EMS, Two Recliners and Kitchen Counter Wall,
                        2015 Nash 17K Previous

Comment

John,

I have had few issues with the 23D, we are quite satisfied with its quality and floor plan. As Rocklin Dave stated, keepIng the sealants in good condition is paramount, but that’s true for any RV. My only issue has been a broken leaf spring, and a shorted out brake magnet. I don’t hold Northwood at fault for either of these issues.
                          Dave & Sandy
                          2017 F250 6.7L Powerstroke 4WD
                          2013 Nash 23D
                          Equalizer Brand 1400#
                          40 Amp AM Solar System
                          Trojan T145+

Comment

Will: that sounds reasonable. Another thought: It could also be a corroded crimp connecter on the switch, which I've encountered many times over the years with 12V systems. it doesn't take much corrosion, especially when you're passing several amps, to cause micro corrosion, which increases the current draw, which causes more corrosion (the dark, burnt metal)---and so on, which eventually leads to the wire overheating at its end (where the female spade lug is crimped on), more corrosion and crispness, and the eventual inability to pass sufficient current to get the motors dancing. Of course, if these switches simply operate a relay on the control board, then the current they (the switch contacts) actually see may be minimal. Which would render my theory moot. In any case, years of working with electrical systems has taught me that visual checks at connection points simply aren't enough when troubleshooting. But you probably doh't need me to tell you that. Anyway, thx again for the input, and I wish you the best re: getting your slide electrics working. intermittent problems are the worst!

And the preventative maintenance? Absolutely!

Comment

Dave - good to know, thx. Preventative maintenance for the seals - absolutely. As to the leaf spring, I've read a lot of gripes about NW's "insufficiently spec'd springs" and their subsequent failures. So... I've heard this one before. As you have, I'm sure. But it's good to hear you've had a good experience with your 23D.

Comment

Working...
                              X