Viair compressor overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viair compressor overheating

Any one have to trouble shoot their Viair air compressor that overheated? Was inflating my tire and it shut down for overheating.
    Kevin and Brenda
    2015 Ford SuperDuty DW Diesel
    2015 AF 27.5L

My Viair does get really hot, but has never overheated & shut off.

How long was it pumping? Is it too small of a unit for the PSI / tire size being inflated?

I know when I was researching my Viair pump purchase, there were several models with a max run time chart and how long it would take to fill different PSI tires.
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

It's a 420p. I don't remember what it said it could do. I bought it probably 5 years ago and this is the first time I've used it
      Kevin and Brenda
      2015 Ford SuperDuty DW Diesel
      2015 AF 27.5L

Comment

I had the issue while airing up a tractor tire. Got really hot. Let it cool down and it ran fine.
        Tom & Lynn
        2018 F350 DRW 6.7 Powerstroke
        2019 AF 27-5L

Comment

You are just getting up against the duty cycle of the compressor and it's thermal overload. As the pressure goes up, so does the temperature. Let it cool a bit and you should be in business. I run my Vair to air up the Jeep tires but Im only going from 15 to 30 psi. I'm assuming you are trying to get to 80+psi so you will build up more heat. They build other models that are designed to air up to the higher pressures but probably not worth it if you've only used it once in 5 years.
          Ken and Rita Madsen
          2018 GMC 3500 Duramax, 2016 27-5L AF

Comment

I use ours to get to 110 for the trailer tires. Twice it started to run a bit odd, then just shut down. I didn't realize it was simply a matter of overheating. But I guess I should have thought of that because when I got it out a few days latter it ran just fine. Thanks for putting my mind at ease!
            2016 Arctic Fox 32-5M, 300 watt Zamp Solar Kit, 30 Amp controller, 2 T105 Trojan 6 volts, 5.5 Onan LP Generator, 6pt leveling system, 2nd 13.5k A/C, Slide Toppers, Fireplace, King Bed, Central Vac. Hardwired Surge Guard Model 34560, rear view camera, clear entry door window,

2016 Ford F-450 Lariat. B&W Companion Hitch. Remax Bed Roll Cover, Bed Carpet.

Winter in Florida, traveling during the other seasons.

Comment

Working...
            X