No announcement yet.

Modifications / customization options?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifications / customization options?

Looking at the AF 5th wheels and wondering if there is a list of items that can be modified or customized.

For example, I read on one post that it was possible to order the unit with a carpet delete option, which we would definitely want.

We don't want the propane oven, would rather have additional drawers or cupboards. 6 years of full timing in our current rig with just the microwave / convection oven and we're perfectly happy with that option. Would this be an option if ordering an AF?

Is it possible to upgrade the axles or tire sizes? We've had a lot of suspension issues with the current rig and that's with 8K axles and 17.5 inch tires. We know the new rig would be lighter and shorter, but suspension will always be a concern for us.

Just wondering if there is a list of items that can be customized or if that's a conversation that needs to be had with a dealer.

Thanks
    D&R Nomads
    Full time RVers
    In search of a new 5th wheel
    Current 5th wheel: SOB, 2012 Ford F450

Other than the factory options list, I haven't heard of a modification list for buyers. Some owners have talked to the factory and had a minor item added or deleted, but seems to be on a case-by-case basis. We had a rear bumper hitch added to our AF at the factory (for a bike rack).

Northwood assembles their trailers on an assembly line. The ovens, cabinets, walls, etc. are waiting for the next trailer model in line.

To pull a trailer out of the line to pull the oven, redesign and install a new countertop & cabinets along with the electrical / gas lines, would most likely be too time consuming / expensive for the factory to offer. The same probably goes for upgrading the axles.

A couple of members have asked the factory for a specific tire size / brand to be added. They were directed to their dealer to upgrade after delivery.

We pull a large 5th wheel and the suspension has never been an issue. Northwood frames and suspension are tough!

We did have to upgrade from 'E' to 'G' rated tires due to weight (now all 5th wheels come standard with 'G's').
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

RocklinDave gave good advice. I would add to ask your dealer to inquire about unlisted options. For example, the hitch RocklinDave got is an unlisted option.

Also, I would ask your dealer to inquire about drawers instead of oven. Now that the stove and oven are not one unit, it is a relatively simpler modification. They already offer drawers or oven in the truck campers.
      2017 Ford F-350 XLT SC LB 6.7L Diesel 4x2 SRW
      2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L w/slide-out toppers, 15K AC, bedroom fan vent w/remote/tstat/rain sensor, powered sliding stab jacks, 50 amp service, 2" receiver hitch, 480w solar, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, LevelMatePRO, Ford trailer camera & trailer TPMS

Comment

I had the rear ladder deleted. Asked about the gas oven and was denied.
        Factory wouldn't install a VENTED washer/dryer combo, but the dealer did.

Doesn't hurt to ask, though.
        Kim + Betsy
        2017 AF 35-5Z
        2017 F450 Lariat

Comment

I ordered the carpet delete and even called the factory and got confirmation of that request. Still arrived with lots of carpet including all of the bedroom, the slide out and the two feet in front of the slide out. Other manufacturers have figured out how to do slides without carpet but apparently not Northwoods.
          Tom & Lynn
          2018 F350 DRW 6.7 Powerstroke
          2019 AF 27-5L

Comment

One thought, if NW wonít delete the over (which I believe are now separate from the cooktop), I bet your dealer will. When in the model you are looking at see of another drawer front would work so the dealer or local cabinet maker can make the drawer(s). Several of us have ordered from our dealer drawer fronts and cabinet doors that match the color in the unit.

Good luck.
            Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank, Titan Disc Brakes, MorRyde SRE4000

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

We ordered our 24j trailer with the carpet deleted from the bedroom no problem. Iím always surprised to hear folks donít use their ovens. Maybe itís because we primarily dry camp, but we use our oven constantly. Why the just the other rainy, 3 degree Celsius morning I started the Saturday with an oven cooked Dutch Baby. Thatís living.

Originally posted by D&R nomads View Post
              Looking at the AF 5th wheels and wondering if there is a list of items that can be modified or customized.

For example, I read on one post that it was possible to order the unit with a carpet delete option, which we would definitely want.

We don't want the propane oven, would rather have additional drawers or cupboards. 6 years of full timing in our current rig with just the microwave / convection oven and we're perfectly happy with that option. Would this be an option if ordering an AF?

Is it possible to upgrade the axles or tire sizes? We've had a lot of suspension issues with the current rig and that's with 8K axles and 17.5 inch tires. We know the new rig would be lighter and shorter, but suspension will always be a concern for us.

Just wondering if there is a list of items that can be customized or if that's a conversation that needs to be had with a dealer.

Thanks
              Brian & Christi
              Calgary, Alberta, Canada
              2016 Arctic Fox 24J
              2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost Crew Cab Short Box 4X4

Comment

In response to this comment:
                Iím always surprised to hear folks donít use their ovens. Maybe itís because we primarily dry camp, but we use our oven constantly.

We've been full time for 6 years, part time for many more before that in 3 different units. We do dry camp about 25% of our time, but tend to use the Grill and Instant Pot as our primary cooking appliances. Did not use the propane oven in our previous units and only use the convection over sparingly. Just our style of camping, but when we're dry camping most of the cooking goes on the grill, less dishes!!!
                D&R Nomads
                Full time RVers
                In search of a new 5th wheel
                Current 5th wheel: SOB, 2012 Ford F450

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaRVers View Post
                  I'm always surprised to hear folks don't use their ovens. Maybe it's because we primarily dry camp, but we use our oven constantly.
                  We probably dry camp 75% of the time but either way we rarely use the oven. We would not have deleted it though because when we do use it, we are happy to have it. We did delete the microwave for another cabinet and glad we did although we left the outlet in case a possible future owner wants to put one in. On our previous 17K I don't think we used the microwave once.
                  2001 F-350 V-10 4X4 CC 68,000 miles. Added Larger Transmission Cooler, Rear View Camera, ScanGauge II.
                  2018 Nash 26N. 540W Solar, 2nd Bathroom Medicine Cabinet, Progressive Industries EMS, Two Recliners,
                  2015 Nash 17K Previous

Let's Go Geocaching!

Comment

Working...
                  X