Northwood quality and/or factory accountability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BZawlocki View Post
    Welding Guy mentioned Outdoors RV. Have they separated from Northwood or are they still wholly owned by Northwood.

I have not looked closely at Outdoors RV products.

Question for the moderators - are we allowed to talk about Outdoors RV products?

Bill
    I would like a definite answer about Outdoors RV, too. Their website says the company was founded by Ron Nash in 2009 but doesn't say who owns it. I am not a member of Facebook but have read the NW website on it. On the NW discussion someone said that Outdoors RV uses the Mor Ride shackle setup and an odd "4000#" axle even on their 22' or 24' travel trailers. They asked if NW was going to upgrade. NW's response was that "Outdoors RV is their own company and does things differently" I am not sure if NW makes the frames but Outdoors RV frames have terrible paint jobs. A 2018 or 2019 trailer frame at a nearby dealer was bleeding rust. Obviously little to no prep work before shooting the frame. I will try to find the picture when I have time. The lower level Outdoors RV "Timber Ridge" line is similar to a Nash, except, I think they have aluminum wall structure. A little bit darker presentation than the brighter Nash. A little more of a cabin look to the wood. They have a couple trailers with extra bed space off the kitchen, not necessarily big double beds, though. I really don't want a trailer with full size double beds for bunks, plus the queen bed. Too much valuable trailer space occupied by beds.
    2007 Nash 22H located in a suburban trailer park
    Two 160 w. solar panels, two 6 volt GC batteries,
    double insulated windows, 2015 Norcold refer.

Comment

I am a couple of weeks away from placing an order through Thunder RV for a new rig. Six years in our 22H have been rock solid except for an electrical issue brought on by a generator deletion. It was fixed quickly by our dealer. Although these types of threads do bother me, I am still ready to pull the trigger on AF. I donít know where to go to find better. And the above comment on dealers is spot on. My conversations with little Thunder have left me appreciating the smaller locals. The local mega dealer promises they can get service to respond within the week, or month, or when they catch up. I may have to drive an hour and a half, but I am confident Thunder will stand behind the product.
      Mark and Anita
      2012 AF 22H dutifully following a 2014 F-350 diesel SB

Comment

Originally posted by ProfQuinn View Post
        I am a couple of weeks away from placing an order through Thunder RV for a new rig. Six years in our 22H have been rock solid except for an electrical issue brought on by a generator deletion. It was fixed quickly by our dealer. Although these types of threads do bother me, I am still ready to pull the trigger on AF. I donít know where to go to find better. And the above comment on dealers is spot on. My conversations with little Thunder have left me appreciating the smaller locals. The local mega dealer promises they can get service to respond within the week, or month, or when they catch up. I may have to drive an hour and a half, but I am confident Thunder will stand behind the product.
        We purchased our rig from Thunder RV in 2016 and it could of not been a more pleasing exercise. We have recommended folks to Thunder RV either to purchase or have maintenance from Wayne who is the best RV Tech in the country. I'm sure you will be happy with your decision.

Kirk n Kay and Mickey, the big black lab
        2012 F-250
        2016 27-5L
        www.knkstravels.com

Comment

Originally posted by ProfQuinn View Post
          Responses to these threads encourage me. Posters give information on the defects and good things. I've been on forums that the brand loyalty is so strong that you know that no "Kool-Aid" is left. I also have to convince my girlfriend that this change is for the best. It means giving up her "princess carriage". I'm a function type and she sees the form. Between us it works well. I think she hated the Vanleigh more than me and that's saying something.
          2007 motorhome, 2012 Wrangler "toad", SOB 5th wheel (SOLD and awaiting replacement 29-5T???), 2017 Ram 3500

Comment

I had a Arctic Fox 990 camper for 7 years; never had any problems with it. Traded it in on my current 2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L. There were some minor problems the day I picked it up from the dealer, but they fixed everything before I drove it off the lot. Then I had a problem with my generator. Turns out, 27-5Ls are manufactured to be 30 amp trailers, but I had mine upgraded to 50 amp. I had the larger, 5500 generator added to match the 50 amp circuits, but the components attaching the generator to the rig were not upgraded, so, in essence, it was starved for fuel. Once that was fixed, I havenít had anymore problems with my trailer. I have also found minor fit and finish issues that were not apparent with my camper, but nothing serious. Iíll agree that the guts of the trailer - frame, walls, insulation, etc. - seem to be solid, which was the main reason I stayed with Northwood. If the A/C or furnace or water pump goes out, itís not a big deal to replace. But if you have a faulty frame, delamination, or other structural problems, those kinds of problems can get expensive.
            2015 Ford F350 Diesel Platinum Dually 4X4 Long Bed
            2016 27-5L, 50 amp, 5500 Gen, 4 pt leveling, 10 CF refrigerator, 15k AC,
            Central Vac, Dual-panes, Rear Camera
            MorRyde Pin, B&W Companion hitch

Comment

I ordered in Oct 2017 a 2018 Arctic Fox 32A took delivery April 27, 2018 It's been one problem after another some pretty major. Cracked front cap, slide dragging on carpet, Axle replacement, had to rebuild the slide trim on ward slide, debris and staples coming through the roof, door that is out of rack which can't be fixed, cuts in our floor, along with a whole host of additional problems. Some were the dealer's fault but in the end our unit should not have left the factory in the condition it was in. As we speak it is at a 3rd party RV repair place hoping that they can fix the slide which has a serious problem because dealer had no clue how to address it. I love this unit and spent a couple of years researching brands so stating how disappointed we are with what we received is an understatement.
              TV: 2016 F250 4X4 3.55 SC, LB, LARIAT 6.7 DIESEL W/ARE Utility Cap and Airlift Ultimate Plus airbags with wireless compressor ProPride Hitch

AF Silver Edition 2018 32 A:
              Slide out toppers with Alumaguard, Alumaguard Main Awning, 24" TV Bedroom, 15K Low Profile air w/ducting, Fantastic fans, Power Scissor Jacks, Slow Rise Night Shades, Holding Tank Heat Pads, Fireplace, 50 Amp Service, 2 Cross Stitch Swivel Rocker Recliners, Rear View Camera, LP 2nd air, 2" Receiver

Comment

Another satisfied Northwood 32-5 owner here although I'm only 1.5 years into it. Had a few of the common issues. The famous shower seal leak, tore a bottom flashing partially off of the bottom of kitchen slide, broken plastic side curtain thingy's (technical term) that should have been made of metal or tougher plastic, etc. All easy fixes by self or under warranty.

The previously owned and equally satisfied 23D Nash similar issues but few and the biggest being a inverter or converter problem that either failed or got hooked up wrong when we had them install the generator. But again dealer fixed under warranty. Our priority being mostly dry campers was durability. There are other decent trailers out there but I'm still convinced after a lot of research that we made the right call for us. We bought new and for that price we wanted to buy once and cry only once. So far still smiling.
                2016 Ram 3500 Crew Cab LB DRW 6.7L Diesel 4x4 6SPD Aisin Auto, 3.73
                2017 Arctic Fox 32-5M w/ B&W 18K Patriot Fifth Wheel
                Previous 2015 Nash 23D w/ 3600 Onan Generator

Comment

I guess if you don't know it then it won't bother you. Saw this behind my main elec panel yesterday. Been like that for 6 years. Must not be as bad as it looks.
                  2012 Ram 2500 CTD
                  2013 Fox Mountain 235 RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Goducks View Post
                    I guess if you don't know it then it won't bother you. Saw this behind my main elec panel yesterday. Been like that for 6 years. Must not be as bad as it looks.
                    At least they gave you some extra wire to work with! I have worked on welding machines before and there might only be 2 inches of extra wire..
                    2007 Nash 22H located in a suburban trailer park
                    Two 160 w. solar panels, two 6 volt GC batteries,
                    double insulated windows, 2015 Norcold refer.

Comment

Originally posted by welding guy View Post

At least they gave you some extra wire to work with! I have worked on welding machines before and there might only be 2 inches of extra wire..
                      LOL yeah funny you should mention extra wire. The reason I had the whole panel out was because I was installing a new PD4600 converter and the POS+ wire was to short to reach the terminal. I needed to release it from the clamp and push it thru a little more.
                      Odd thing, if you look in the center of the pic there's a piece of wood and a group of white wires going to it. All those wires (8+/-) are attached to that piece of wood. The wood's just floating in the sea of wires. Not sure what thats all about.
                      2012 Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by BZawlocki View Post
                        Welding Guy mentioned Outdoors RV. Have they separated from Northwood or are they still wholly owned by Northwood.

I have not looked closely at Outdoors RV products.

Question for the moderators - are we allowed to talk about Outdoors RV products?

Bill
                        No I still consider them the red headed step child we do not talk in length about.
                        Adam
                        2007 Dodge 2500 Megacab 5.9 3.73 4X4 4SPD auto
                        07 Arctic Fox 31W-BH 35' Hensley Hitch/Brake Smart Controller - Access site with Desktop win10 machine
                        07 AF31W Mod's
                        Previous trailer 03 Arctic Fox 29V

Comment

Here is a link to an Outdoors RV forum: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/
                          Tom & Lynn
                          2018 F350 DRW 6.7 Powerstroke
                          2019 AF 27-5L

Comment

Originally posted by txshirle View Post
                            Here is a link to an Outdoors RV forum: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/
                            There's also a Northwood section there as well.
                            2012 Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
                            X