New 2019 27-5L Observations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 2019 27-5L Observations

Picked up our new fiver two weeks ago and have been on a shakedown trip since. As this unit was made in December after Northwoods announced the changes, mostly esthetic, I thought I would make some observations:
    1. Yes the shower leaked like a sieve. I chose to apply silicone myself based on the directions found on this forum and problem solved!
    2. The new Furion appliances look great but it is impossible to turn the burners on the cooktop down to a simmer. Cooking rice is a challenge and I am uncertain how to resolve.
    3. Coming from an old (2006) 29-5T the storage capacity is of course a bit of a challenge. But how we love the holding tanks capacities. We have been in Palo Duro Canyon State Park in the Texas panhandle for five days and our gray and black tanks are not close to being full. Could not do the same in our old fiver
    4. The exterior color changes are a personal preference but they do get attention. Our park host has already expressed an interest in switching from SOB to AF. Steve, Brenda and Bella from this forum came by yesterday and I am going to check out that suspension on his 25Y that keeps the dog bowl water intact.
    5. Securing the flap for the vent integrated in the microwave is a challenge. Even with a two step stool I am not tall enough to release the latches. Will have to carry a step ladder going forward.
    6. We checked every cabinet door and drawer during our PDI and either Northwoods or the dealer (Hanner) had ensured everything was buttoned down. The only exception was the backsplash to the left of the cooktop. That was cracked and a replacement is on order.
    All in all we our pleased with our selection and the quality of the unit. But I sure do miss that big back window.
    Tom & Lynn
    2018 F350 DRW 6.7 Powerstroke
    2019 AF 27-5L

We enjoyed meeting you and the new 5er looks great. Wish we were heading your way instead of our way tomorrow. Below zero and snow where we are going.
    Steve & Brenda and Our Cocker Spaniel Bella
    2017 RAM Diesel Laramie 4x4
    2017 Arctic Fox 25Y, Hensley Arrow

Comment

Originally posted by txshirle View Post

2. The new Furion appliances look great but it is impossible to turn the burners on the cooktop down to a simmer. Cooking rice is a challenge and I am uncertain how to resolve.

All in all we our pleased with our selection and the quality of the unit. But I sure do miss that big back window.
      We use these type of diffusers both at home and in the TT. Work great for rice and other slow stove top cooking.

Yes that big back window is something we could not live without. Had it in the 17K and also now in the 26N. 90% of the time that is where the view is plus it really opens up the feeling of the living area.
      2001 F-350 V-10 4X4 CC 68,000 miles. Added Larger Transmission Cooler, Rear View Camera, ScanGauge II.
      2018 Nash 26N. 540W Solar, 2nd Bathroom Medicine Cabinet, Progressive Industries EMS, Two Recliners,
      2015 Nash 17K Previous

Let's Go Geocaching!

Comment

We use the following heat diffuser on the cook top to allow us to simmer or keep coffee warm in a glass pot. Works great!

http://www.amazon.com/8-Heat-Master-...for+gas+stoves

Glen & Linda
        2018 27-5L Arctic Fox,
        2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD D/A 4X4 Ext Cab
        Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch
        Blogs: Ongoing: http://glelin-travels1.blogspot.com/
        Alaska: http://glelin-travels.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for the diffuser recommendations. Much appreciated.
          Tom & Lynn
          2018 F350 DRW 6.7 Powerstroke
          2019 AF 27-5L

Comment

Im not sure what the newer style tabs on the micro vent are like as they changed the exterior vent cover a year after ours. On ours I use an old manual awning pull stick I ended up with an extra with somehow (like this one...https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...LC2810801.html). It doubles as a measuring stick for the big slide when needed and a pull stick for things in the middle of the pass through basement.

Randy crafted ipusing some magnets on his somthey open when enough air is pushingnthe flap.

Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank, Titan Disc Brakes, MorRyde SRE4000

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

Originally posted by Rolland View Post
              Im not sure what the newer style tabs on the micro vent are like as they changed the exterior vent cover a year after ours. On ours I use an old manual awning pull stick I ended up with an extra with somehow (like this one...https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...LC2810801.html). It doubles as a measuring stick for the big slide when needed and a pull stick for things in the middle of the pass through basement.

Randy crafted ipusing some magnets on his somthey open when enough air is pushingnthe flap.
              #MeToo....
              2015 AF 27-5L, 2016 F-250 Super Cab, 6.7 Diesel, SB, 4x4, Off Road and 10,000lb Payload Package,

Comment

Securing the flap for the vent integrated in the microwave is a challenge. Even with a two step stool I am not tall enough to release the latches. Will have to carry a step ladder going forward.
                I have a little 3 step ladder which I use for access to the back of my truck. That's just enough to reach those little tabs. I went the first summer without knowing I had to release that flap. The first couple of times it was really hard and I thought I would break the tabs. Now it's pretty easy. I forgot to latch it a couple of times before traveling and it didn't seem to hurt anything.

Steve and Shelley. Minnesota
                2017 RAM 3500 LLH CC 4x4 LB DRW 6.7ctd Aisin 4.10 Air Level aka Shrek
                2018 AF 27-5L, HW50C ems, Maxxis Tires, TST 507, dual AC, tank heaters, Rear Camera, Toppers, 640w Solar, Victron MP 3000 Inverter, MPPT 150/85 solar charge controller, CCGX Color Monitor,BMV702 Battery Monitor
                , 440AH Lifeline AGM, aka Fiona

Comment

I haven't latched my vent in 18 months.
                  Kim + Betsy
                  2017 AF 35-5Z
                  2017 F450 Lariat

Comment

It would seem that Northwood has gotten the shower leaking thing down to a fine art by now. Out 2013 27-5L shower leaked and I think virtually every shower since has leaked.
                    Bill
                    Bill & Gloria
                    2013 27-5L, B&W Companion, Reese 5th Airborne and Tri-Metric TM2025RV Battery Monitor. Honda EU2000i, Wired Rear View Camera. 2002 F350 7.3 Diesel, 6 Speed, LB, 4X4. To Many Mods To Even Talk About. US Navy Retired. NO NFL FOR ME.

Comment

It is pathetic that Northwood won't take the time to make the shower panels and door do what they are designed to do. Certainly NW knows by the number of complaints and bills or inquiries from dealers that the shower installation has major issues.
                      2019 Nash 24B (bunk) located in a city trailer park.
                      Two 6 volt GC batteries
                      Two135 watt Kyocera solar panels (only one plugged in)
                      Zamp 10 amp charge controller
                      30 amp charge controller in June's budget...

Comment

Glad youre enjoying the new unit, we sure enjoy ours and cant wait to break it out of storage in March.

Palo Duro Canton is on our must return to list as we enjoyed our time there as well. Caprock is another great park in the area. If heading back to San Antonio and passing through Palo Pinto County (near Eastland) give us a shout, wed love to compare 2019 27-5 - pre and post the new mods.
                        Jerry, Kathie, &
                        Bo, one giant Lab
                        2019 AF27-5
                        2017 Nash 24M (Sold)
                        2016 F250, 4X4, 6.7L
                        Added 2 leaf springs each side
                        50 gal Titan Fuel Tank
                        Pressure Pro TPMS
                        blog: 7rwanderers.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks for posting the info on the diffusers, guys. I need one on our home Weber natural gas grill with a side burner--It is too hot to simmer also and I like to use it in the summer. I could also take it along in the Fox.
                          Linda & Dave (retired US Army) and Magic, the Yellow Lab Duck Dog
                          2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i, Les Schwab 105 6-volt batteries, Maxxis Tires, Torque Lift Steps
                          2017 RAM 2500 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4, CTD, 8' Bed, Granite Crystal, new 7/1/17
                          2018 Prius IV, new December 2018

Comment

Picked up our new fiver two weeks ago and have been on a shakedown trip since. As this unit was made in December after Northwoods announced the changes, mostly esthetic, I thought I would make some observations:
                            5. Securing the flap for the vent integrated in the microwave is a challenge. Even with a two step stool I am not tall enough to release the latches. Will have to carry a step ladder going forward.
                            A trip to Dollar tree and the purchase of a knobby grabber...for a $1.00, solved this problem for me.
                            2016 Arctic Fox 32-5M, 300 watt Zamp Solar Kit, 30 Amp controller, 2 T105 Trojan 6 volts, 5.5 Onan LP Generator, 6pt leveling system, 2nd 13.5k A/C, Slide Toppers, Fireplace, King Bed, Central Vac. Hardwired Surge Guard Model 34560, rear view camera, clear entry door window,

2016 Ford F-450 Lariat. B&W Companion Hitch. Remax Bed Roll Cover, Bed Carpet.

Winter in Florida, traveling during the other seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Corthell View Post
                              A trip to Dollar tree and the purchase of a knobby grabber...for a $1.00, solved this problem for me.
                              OK I'll bite what the heck is a knobby grabber? It's not some sex toy is it? LOL
                              Bill, Mary, and Scottie
                              2015 RAM 3500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin, SRW, Hensley BD-3 Hitch
                              2017 AF 27-5L
                              http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/719790.png

Comment

Working...
                              X