AF28-5C or AF29-5T?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AF28-5C or AF29-5T?

We had made up our mind after 2 years to purchase the new AF28-5C, put down the deposit and made plans to head up to Apache RV in Portland to pick it up, but found out that there really is no workable built-in solution to add sleeping for two more people. The Air Mattress that did come with the Cross Stitch is not longer being offered and the only workable option is the Jackknife sofa, which truly can only sleep a single person. Has anyone here purchased the AF28-5C and got any advice on how they solved this problem? We are now looking at the AF29-5T for the additional room....So sad. I loved the kitchen and the booth in the back........

A high quality air mattress, placed on the floor, is what we use in the rare instance we need an additional sleeping area in our 29-5T.

The air mattress folds up nicely, stores in the basement area and is more comfortable than some sofa mattresses, for adults.
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

I feel your pain. We were ready to order a 28-5C but the size of the holding tanks was a deal breaker for the wife. While we were still deciding I too asked if anyone had purchased the 28-5C but no one responded so good luck.
      Personally the 29-5T is my favorite AF floor plan. Love that rear window. We just sold our 2006 29-5T and would have loved to stick with that model but the current versions are just longer than we prefer. As a result we have ordered a 27-5L. I am sure we will love it but I already miss that window.
      As an aside, in addition to the size of the holding tanks, the slide of the 28-5C must be deployed to access the refrigerator and cooktop.
      2018 F350 DRW 6.7 Powerstroke
      2006 Arctic Fox 29-5T

Comment

If you really want "The Air Mattress that did come with the Cross Stitch"
        I seem to recall people posting that they stashed it away and may be willing to sell it to you.

I am with Dave get a standard one.
        2018 GMC 3500 SB diesel
        2017 Arctic fox 27-5l 50Amp 5.5 Gen, 4 6 volt, 450W solar,ARPrv,michelin xps,built in surge suppressor, Tank Heat Pads and 4 Point Leveling System

Comment

Art is correct, ours is in a bin in the attic of our home for when the day comes we sell our rig. Fought it three times (only grandkids using it) then opted for an Aerobed air mattress. Much better
          Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

After two years of saving and lurking around on this forum we ordered the 29-5T this week. We decided on the 444 option and are going to pick up a air bed at Costco for the rare times we have company.

Our main purchase decisions were:

Use ability with slides in. When we are hoofing it long distances and need to sleep at rest stops for a bit and cannot put out slides. We are not retired so travel time matters for us. I am all ready figuring out a rope system to pull up the stairs from inside the trailer, as they stick out a fair amount and I do not want to get them hit when we are stopped at rest areas.

The large amount of Windows in the rear. We do a lot of dry camping/boondocking and being able to do things in the trailer without having to turn on lights during the day is nice.

The length is about perfect. It would be nice to be shorter but we have had our current SOB for 12 years and it's 34 feet and have gotten used to knowing what we can and cannot fit into.

We also found the best price through Apache RV. The new interior and changes drove our decision to buy now.

29-5T on order

Comment

Originally posted by Inconceivable View Post
              ...Our main purchase decisions were:

Use ability with slides in. When we are hoofing it long distances and need to sleep at rest stops for a bit and cannot put out slides. We are not retired so travel time matters for us. I am all ready figuring out a rope system to pull up the stairs from inside the trailer, as they stick out a fair amount and I do not want to get them hit when we are stopped at rest areas...
              I agree...

We boondock between destinations, sometimes at rest areas, welcome centers and truck stops. Putting out a slide-out(s) is not always an option while parked in a parking spot. .

The new longer steps would be an issue, but pulling up the steps with a rope will work. We've even had to fold-up our smaller steps and climb in the door, in some situations. Often, we place a large orange cone near the steps as a warning to others.

Of course if someone pulls up close to you, with the steps retracted, you may have to exit via the bedroom window .

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Inconceivable View Post

Our main purchase decisions were:

Use ability with slides in. When we are hoofing it long distances and need to sleep at rest stops for a bit and cannot put out slides. We are not retired so travel time matters for us. I am all ready figuring out a rope system to pull up the stairs from inside the trailer, as they stick out a fair amount and I do not want to get them hit when we are stopped at rest areas.

The large amount of Windows in the rear. We do a lot of dry camping/boondocking and being able to do things in the trailer without having to turn on lights during the day is nice.

The length is about perfect. It would be nice to be shorter but we have had our current SOB for 12 years and it's 34 feet and have gotten used to knowing what we can and cannot fit into.

We also found the best price through Apache RV. The new interior and changes drove our decision to buy now.

To be fair I should also point out a few down sides to this model.

Storage space is a bit of an issue.
                We did not order the larger fridge due to the loss of storage space. Reaching the upper storage areas for short people like my wife will involve a step stool.

Not having a third slide does lose you sq ft and the pricing to me does not reflect the loss compared to other models. It does mean one less thing to break on the plus side.

We do not watch much tv so the tv size and placement was not an issue for us. Others who full time or are snow birds may not be happy with viewing angles and distance.

Seems every thing in life is some sort of compromise.
                29-5T on order

Comment

When we decided to go to a fifth wheel we first considered the 28-5C. The island killed it for us because of accessibility of fridge. We went with the 29-5T and love it. We didn't want the air mattress so went with the standard tri-fold couch. It has worked fine for our young grandson a few times and for our daughter a couple of times. For maximum storage we opted for the standard fridge (large enough for us) which gives us the pantry. Also we opted for cabinet space rather than the fireplace. We could not buy a new AF with the Mor-Ryde steps because of space on our home pad. Hopefully NW will offer a step option if they don't do so already.
                  Bob P
                  2008 Ford F350 Super Cab 6.4 PSD 4x4
                  2018 AF 29-5T

Comment

You can have them delete Mor-Ryde steps when you order it. We also had them delete the door going into the bedroom (27-5L). So glad we did that! We only ever sleep 2 adults in our rig-kids can sleep outside in tents! We didn't want the Mor-Ryde steps for several reasons and we are completely fine with the fold up "old school" steps. If we were just parked somewhere and living in it those would be great-they are nice steps but do you want to be folding them up inside after you camped in a wet or muddy spot? Rest stops? The fold down steps can be just folded down once if you are in tight quarters and it's a big step up but you can do it.
                    2014 RAM CTD, Aisin, SRW and 4WD, 2019 AF 27-5L for long term stays, 2008 AF 24-5N for short trips, rough travel, small CG, cabover alumininum boat loader, 12' Kevlar rowboat, Bayley the Bird Dog runs the show.

Comment

Originally posted by endoscott View Post
                      The fold down steps can be just folded down once if you are in tight quarters and it's a big step up but you can do it.
                      That's exactly what we do.

Comment

Well, folks, we went back to Apache (who were great by the way, Portland, Chuck) after grinding and grinding about what the right solution would be. We had pretty much decided that we would go for the 29-5T for the extra seating and then we walked back into the 28-5C, just for old time sake, and man it was so much nicer, we couldn't help ourselves, we bought it with all of its shortcomings. The good stuff, the third slide, large Refridgerator, (too) large island, heater, the BOOTH, so comfortable. The bad stuff, smaller tanks, fridge is mostly blocked when the slides are in, no place easy place for a visitor to sleep. BUT anyway, the price was only $3k more than the 27-5L so we did pretty good, they are trying to move them, I guess sales are pretty nil.....Anyway, here we go!!!

Comment

Originally posted by katehelen View Post
                          Well, folks, we went back to Apache (who were great by the way, Portland, Chuck) after grinding and grinding about what the right solution would be. We had pretty much decided that we would go for the 29-5T for the extra seating and then we walked back into the 28-5C, just for old time sake, and man it was so much nicer, we couldn't help ourselves, we bought it with all of its shortcomings. The good stuff, the third slide, large Refridgerator, (too) large island, heater, the BOOTH, so comfortable. The bad stuff, smaller tanks, fridge is mostly blocked when the slides are in, no place easy place for a visitor to sleep. BUT anyway, the price was only $3k more than the 27-5L so we did pretty good, they are trying to move them, I guess sales are pretty nil.....Anyway, here we go!!!
                          Congratulations, I'm sure you'll have many happy years in your new AF.

Three new-trailer must have items I suggest:
                          • Electrical Surge Protector
                          • Tire Pressure Monitoring System
                          • Water Pressure Regulator

Comment

Even though we selected the 27-5L over the 28-5C I have to say I am a little jealous.
                            2018 F350 DRW 6.7 Powerstroke
                            2006 Arctic Fox 29-5T

Comment

Working...
                            X