Friendly Advice On Potential Diesel TV Purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friendly Advice On Potential Diesel TV Purchase

The lovely Mrs. Professor and I just drove a 2015 Ram 2500 Lariet with the Cummins option. It seemed in good condition, with minimal wear and a very clean bed and hitch receiver that lead me to believe it wasnít a workhorse. The price is low book (on Ram dealer lot). Iím a bit apprehensive in that in three years the prior owner put on 99,000 miles. The service manager will only say that it passed his checklist to be put on the lot. Iíve driven muscle cars, sports cars, station wagons, gas pickups, tractors, and ridden motorcycles, but Iíve never driven a diesel before. Any tips on how they should feel? It was smooth and fairly quiet, but I donít know what to look for. Help, please.
    Mark and Anita
    2012 AF 22H dutifully following a 2014 F-350 diesel SB

..."the service manager will only say that it passed his checklist"...

A truck is a sizeable investment and could be costly, if the diesel engine has been neglected / modified. You also want a tow vehicle that will be dependable, especially when far from home.

I wouldn't buy a used car / truck, without an independent inspection by a trusted mechanic with diesel knowledge. If the dealer won't allow an off-lot mechanical inspection, that's a big red flag and I would walk away.
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

I think I asked a silly question, but should the miles matter much, in your opinion, since it is a diesel?
      Mark and Anita

Comment

Originally posted by ProfQuinn View Post
        I think I asked a silly question, but should the miles matter much, in your opinion, since it is a diesel?
        For a well maintained 3 year old diesel engine, 99,000 miles is not an issue.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

I second the above and will add that used vehicle dealers specialize in making the worst vehicles look like they were "slightly" used. They can take the worse looking vehicle and make it look and smell like a gem. In this case looks can be very deceiving. At the very least I would want to know the service history of that vehicle.

In addition, modern diesels require expensive maintenance near that mileage such as egr cooler cleaning. And depending on how it was driven and serviced you could need exhaust components such as the diesel particulate filter or selective catalyst reduction filter that need replacing to the tune of several thousand dollars. If you are not knowledgeable on diesels it is well worth it to spend a few hundred dollars and have that vehicle checked over by a good independant diesel mechanic.

As for how the vehicle should "feel", you kind of answered that.

Tony
          2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Crew Cab LB DRW 6.7 Cummins/Aisin 4.10,
          Curt Q24, 2015 Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE,
          2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox,
          Four Cats and yes they travel with us.

Comment

I agree with Dave the mileage would not be an issue with a good explainationnfornthr high mileage. I once purchased a Caravan that had close to that in about 18 months but it was the vehicle a friend had for a sales route in the NW and No Cal.

Iím a believer of using Carfax that I run to get more of an idea. The last two vehicles I purchased showed good maintenance information, no recalls and no crash reports. One was a sedan and 10 years old which I found out the owner was a private pilot. I bought it as every pilot I know is meticulous on maintenance. Our current truck was similar. Low miles, Carfax showed it purchased locally and maintained every 3000 Miles. The bed looked hardly used in the photos before I looked at it. I told Judie I would bet it was an old mans truck which it was.

Sorry for the long reply.
            Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

Originally posted by tdeperte View Post
              In addition, modern diesels require expensive maintenance near that mileage such as egr cooler cleaning. And depending on how it was driven and serviced you could need exhaust components such as the diesel particulate filter or selective catalyst reduction filter that need replacing to the tune of several thousand dollars. If you are not knowledgeable on diesels it is well worth it to spend a few hundred dollars and have that vehicle checked over by a good independant diesel mechanic.

As for how the vehicle should "feel", you kind of answered that.
              Thatís what I was wonderingómaintenance items.
              And, yes, I acknowledge my naÔvetť, but in my defense, I rarely think before I post.
              Mark and Anita

Comment

I'd also check with the Dealer if all the recalls have been performed on that truck, as there are several of them for that year model. The Dealer can also provide a detailed report of any history that the truck has of any maintenance and repairs if done at a Ram Dealer. 99k is a lot of miles for a 3 - 4 year old truck but if maintained properly and not abused it still has many miles left in it.
                Rich

2016 Chevrolet 3500HD LT Dually 4x4 DMax/Allison, B&W RVK 3700, Extreme Air Onboard Air Compressor
                2014 Arctic Fox 29 5T, TST 507 Tire Pressure Monitor, Honda 2000i Generator, Sailun S637 G Tires

Semper Fi USMC 1981 - 1985

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/548548.png

Comment

Originally posted by ProfQuinn View Post
                  Thatís what I was wonderingómaintenance items.
                  And, yes, I acknowledge my naÔvetť, but in my defense, I rarely think before I post.
                  I have 2015 Chevy 3500 diesel with 55,000 miles (95% towing the AF).

My required maintenance so far has been:

Fuel Filter (2 Times)
                  Oil & Filter (8 Times)
                  External Transmission Filter (2 Times)
                  Transfer Case Fluid Change (Once)
                  Transmission Fluid Change (Once)

With the exception of the fuel filter (buried somewhere in the engine area), I have been able to perform everything else in the driveway.

Comment

Just a thought, do you need a diesel? I have met 2 guys pulling an sob that has to be at least as heavy ad a 27-5L. They say they are happy. One had a Ram and the other a Ford. Question would be, are newer gas trucks capable of pulling equal of a 27-5L or more or less and owner be happy? Just a question. What do others think
                    Last edited by Smokey; 08-03-2018, 04:22 PM.
                    Neil and Marilyn and Beamer (feline)
                    2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax 6.6L 4x4 Double Cab LB, 5th Spring, Ride Rite Air Bags, Tires: 275/75R18 125/122 3640 lb rated, 40 gal Transfer Flow Aux Tank.

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L, Progressive EMS HW30C Surge Protector, TST 507 TPMS w/Color, Sailun Tires G rated, 2 Smart Tool 2000's, Titan Disk Brakes.

Of all the things I've lost. I miss my mind the most :-)

Comment

One thing I learned when we were looking for a used truck was where the truck was originally from. There is a dealer in my town that buys many of its vehicles from the East Coast. The east uses salt for de-icing the roads. That causes vehicles to suffer from rust on the under carriage. I looked at the under carriage of the used trucks on their lot and what did I find??? Most of them were sprayed with black undercoating. It hid any rust issues it may have had. Like mentioned above, I used carfax to learn all I could about the truck, as well as, to track where (what states) the truck was owned. Also, like mentioned above, I checked with a local Dodge/Ram dealership to see what recalls it might need and what recall issues were previously fixed. I discovered I was due for new, beefier, tie rod. Additionally, I also spent the money and had a diesel mechanic I trusted to give it a good once over. During that "examination" I learned the truck we wanted needed upper and lower ball joints. We ended up buying that truck.
                      2005 Dodge Diesel 3500: 5.9L Cummins Turbo-Diesel, 3.73 4WD 4SPD SRW, quad cab, long bed, B&W Companion Hitch. Rebuilt tranny, PakBrake Exhaust Brake, PakBrake Airbags w/ Wireless remote fill.

2017 Arctic Fox 27 5L: 4-Point Leveling System, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 30amp surge protector, Slide-Toppers, 2" Receiver, TPMS TST 507, ARP Controller, Sailun G rated tires.

Comment

33K miler per year average is quite a bit of miles. I purchased my 2008 Chevy in Oct 2009 with 51K miles and that is also quite a bit. The truck was a repo, having first been placed in service in Feb 2009 . So, from Feb 2009 until Oct 2009, 51K miles. That was a lot of miles I paid $22.5K for the truck. Fast forward to today and the truck has 139K or about 15K miles on yearly average basis. Buying a truck with quite a bit of miles CAN BE a very good purchase. If you will continue to put the 33K miles on your truck, that is one calculation; if you put say 15K miles, that is another entirely. FOR SURE, have an independent diesel tech carefully check the truck.
                        *Ron & Deb Nielson
                        2008 Silverado 2500HD CCLB SRW Duramax/Allison, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Bilstein 5100, Kennedy Custom Tuned ECM
                        2009 Silver Fox AF29-5T SteadyFast Stabilizer System

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
                          Just a thought, do you need a diesel. I have met 2 guys pulling an sob that has to be at least as heavy ad a 27-5L. They say they are happy. Question would be, are newer gas trucks capable of pulling equal of a 27-6L or more or less and owner be happy? Just a question. What do others think
                          I have a 2018 Ram 2500 6.4, 4.10. I wouldn't tow the 27-5L with it. Sure the trucks rated to tow 15,400 lbs and I could easily carry the pin with having 3000 lbs for payload and 6500 lbs for RAWR. Power wise it would be slow. I currently tow 9300 lbs and thats enough for me. Now I've only towed 4 times and all have been from Keizer to Sisters/Metolious so it's mostly uphill then downhill. I have not ventured out on the freeway for 100's of miles. I will in a few weeks though.
                          I'm perfectly happy with the truck and 9300 lbs. I would not want another 3,000 lbs behind me in the mountains. JMHO.
                          Before I got the 6.4 I had a 2500 CTD and that diesel yanked the 5er around like nothing. I just got tired of the short hoping issues that come from a diesel.
                          Much easier to short hop all year with a gasser.
                          2012 Ram 2500 CTD
                          2013 Fox Mountain 235 RLS

Comment

Everyone has given you good advice. I would add that I would want to make sure that any used diesel has not been chipped. Some people chip their diesels which adds a lot of HP and torque and that leads to abuse and early failure. I think that a dealer, maybe one that you are not buying from, can hook the truck up to their computer and see if it has been chipped. Dealers want to know because chipping can affect warranty coverage.
                            2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
                            2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
                            2018 Arctic Fox 29L; Traded in
                            *2001 Arctic Fox 29V; Sold
                            South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

Mark,

99k miles on a diesel is nothing if the truck was serviced. Even if the truck was never serviced 100k miles on the Cummins, although certainly not recommended, wouldn't hurt it. Rich and I have seen TDR members who brag about taking routine periodic oil samples and sending them off to some internet "lab" and continuing to drive without changing oil and filters for thousands of miles. Personally I consider that a stupid practice because the owner spends enough money for postage and testing to have simply changed the oil. Each to his own.

I would not even consider a gas engine truck if you plan to tow anything heavier than 6,000 lbs. frequently during your retirement years. There is simply no comparison except possibly for those who live in FL or other flatland area.

Dodge-Cummins trucks do not require replacement of a catalytic converter or DPF (diesel particulate filter) at anything near 100k miles. My '08 has 218k miles and has had no exhaust treatment equipment replaced. An old TDR friend who used an '07 truck like mine as an oilfield hot-shotter reported his DPF was full of soot at around 225k miles. That's the only replacement I've ever read or heard about. I'mj sure there are others but I haven't heard of them.

Dodge dealers have the capability to plug any Dodge-Cummins truck into their service department computer and run a "cylinder performance test". That test will reveal if the truck was ever chipped or modified in any way. The test will also reveal in general terms how the truck was used ie high percentage of operation at high rpm, full power, etc.

I had the test performed on an '06 with over 200k miles about eleven years ago. The problem you would have is there is probably not one dealer tech out of 100 dealerships that would even know what you're talking about if you request the test performed. They'll tell you it can't be done or similar brain dead response. The typical dealer tech's knowledge of diesel engines is, to put it politely, limited.

My personal opinion about buying a late model used car or truck is that used car/truck sales managers love late model used cars and trucks - particularly popular models like diesel light trucks. Late model used units can be extremely profitable because the manager can steal them at auction or in a trade-in and mark them up to near new prices. Used cars can be a bargain but diesel light trucks can be very risky. They can easily be modified with a software reflash or the addition of a plug in module. The modifications can be removed later - after the damage is done. A dealer computer can determine if a modification was done but a service manager is not going to tell a prospective buyer. Modifications can be very damaging because they cause extreme stress on fuel injectors and can easily create excessive combustion heat which can crack pistons, piston rings, even melt a hole in the top of a piston. I generally would not buy one unless I knew the previous owner and could verify the truck had not been modified. Having said that, you might get lucky and find a creampuff owned by an old man who would not dream of modifying it. How can you be sure?

If you shop hard for a new but leftover 2017 nationwide you should be able to find one with near zero miles and a new truck warranty. I would pay a little more and buy a new truck unless I knew the previous owner.

Be willing to search patiently and travel to buy the right truck. Either that or pay a retiree to go pick one up for you and drive it home.

Harvey Barlow
                              USN Retired
                              Glade Springs, WV
                              2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab & Chassis, Cummins ISB6.7 Aisin CM Flatbed BrakeSmart Transfer Flow 223k miles
                              2011 Arctic Fox 26X LT245/75R16LRE tires (SOLD)
                              2012 Unnamed 10' Slide-In Truck Camper

Comment

Working...
                              X