Please Visit Our Sponsors

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fox Mountain 25RKS - is a single 15BTU A/C unit adequate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fox Mountain 25RKS - is a single 15BTU A/C unit adequate?

Good Afternoon,

Looking for some real world advice as we live in the Phoenix area and frequently camp in higher elevation, cooler areas but they can still get hot in the summer. Can anyone tell me how these do with a single A.C unit? I don't see the option to add an additional unit. I would rather look at a different unit that can have 2 A/C units versus make a mistake. Thanks.
    Paul Corbett
    Looking at a 2018 Artic Fox 27-5L

I can only give you our experiences with a 29-5T (34' 5th wheel). We have two air conditioners, since we camp in all types of weather and elevations.

The bedroom area heats up faster than the living room area, mostly due to the large front cap, which is a sun/heat magnet. If there's no breeze outside, anything over 85 degrees, and we consider using the A/C. If it's going to be a warm/humid afternoon and evening, we'll cool down the trailer earlier.

Even though the bedroom has A/C ducting from the main A/C unit, the outflow of cold air, compared to the living room area, is minimal.

With two A/C units, we are able to close the door between the living room and the bedroom, to make two climate zones. With the door closed, the living room stays much cooler, and the bedroom can get downright cold.

Our home summers can easily reach 105+, but we still dread the heat. Being comfortable is subjective, but gone are the days of trying to get to sleep during calm warm / humid evenings while traveling.

Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Thank you
      Paul Corbett

Comment

Iím not that familiar with FM rigs, but if it doesnít have an option for 50 amp service then that may be why a bedroom isnít an option. Ours is a 27-5L, only the 50 amp units from the factory are prewire for a bedroom AC. If it were me and I lived in the south I would certainly want the bedroom AC.
        Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

Thank you.
          Paul Corbett

Comment

We have the Artic Fox 25Y. We are camping with no breeze and 95 in the sun and one air conditioner cooled nicely. During the day we had all the vents open on the ducts and very comfortable. At night we are closing the vents in the living area to push all the air to the bedroom. We are running the fan on low continuous. A trailer is a little different than a 5er as all the living area is on one level. A 5er has the bedroom up a level. Heat rises. We donít have experience hotter and 105 is much more to deal with than 95. Good luck in your search
            Steve & Brenda and Our Cocker Spaniel Bella
            2017 RAM Diesel Laramie 4x4
            2017 Arctic Fox 25Y, Hensley Arrow

Comment

Paul

A couple of experiences to tell you about. We stopped by a friend's place in Buckeye and it was 115*. Took all the arrival evening and night to get the trailer cooled down. The next day trailer was bearable. A/C unit ran continuously. We spent 3 months or so in Prescott and in the afternoons on sunny days the trailer was uncomfortable - about 83* inside.

Get the 2nd air conditioning unit. I added my 2nd unit after these 2 experiences.
              *Ron & Deb Nielson
              2008 Silverado 2500HD CCLB SRW Duramax/Allison, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Bilstein 5100, Kennedy Custom Tuned ECM
              2009 Silver Fox AF29-5T SteadyFast Stabilizer System

Comment

Hello Paul,

We have the Fox Mountain 235RLS which is a couple of feet shorter than the 255RKS. We've had it in temps above 100 degrees and found the single AC unit to be adequate.
                Warren & Claudia
                2011 Fox Mountain 235RLS
                2005 Dodge 2500, 2WD, Short-box, Cummins, 4 Speed Automatic.

Comment

Thank you
                  Paul Corbett

Comment

Working...
                  X