Received 2018 Artic Fox 27-5L and found a few issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shocker View Post
    We bought our 27-5L from the dealer that is 260 miles away. Picked it up on a nasty, rainy, cold day. We did our walk-through and didn't find anything that was a deal killer, accepted delivery, and went home satisfied knowing that if something did come up I would take care of it instead of doing a long road trip. On our shake out camping trip found that the shower leaked, one of the waste tank shutoff valves is leaking, had a heck of a time figuring out how to get the DVD player to work, and had some trouble with the auto leveling. Since then, fixed the shower (factory needs to inspect their caulking - left gaps!) and had another camping trip. Started correcting some issues and here is what I found:

DVD player/radio - contacted Service about getting a manual (model is not listed on radio mfg website) which was not provided. Said I had to contact the dealer who then got it for me. Got looking at the specs on it and how the factory had wired it up. Note to factory - if you install HDMI from radio to TV, don't install the component cable also! You are wasting time and creating a big bulky cable run between the TV and the wall - and it wasn't even installed correctly. Geez.

The genset switch is on the wall by the thermostat. Problem is that it is installed so close to a waste tank vent pipe that the switch is pushed out from the mounting plate. Will need to get a new oversized mounting plate and redo it. Factory - quality control PLEASE!

As for the leaking shutoff valve, these forums have lead me to the Valterra T58 which I will be buying. Never had a problem with my Fourwinds and they aren't known for high quality. Factory - quality control PLEASE!

2nd trip temp was below 32F. Found a lot of condensation in wardrobe/linen closet slide-out inside where the outer wall meets the closet ceiling. This accumulated with the closet doors shut. Contacted Service and they suggested a dehumidifier. Really - in a closed closet? If anybody has had this issue and what they did about it please let me know.

Number ONE complaint - factory did not bother to clean up when they were done building it. Sawdust everywhere!. When a hole was cut to install something they left the cutout and all the sawdust. Of course the carpet was not vacuumed nor cabinets wiped. Factory - quality control PLEASE!

All in all, we are happy with the unit so far. My better half loves the kitchen layout especially the windows by the sink. We bought a memory foam topper for the mattress but found it isn't needed as the bed is comfortable as is. Has good inside storage space with all of the cabinets but suspect will have problems in the future with hinge screws pulling out. Shower is a good size and I am 6ft.

Next thing I need to do is figure out the the coax connectors that are not marked. Well, neither are the light switches. A customer should not have to do a "trial and error". Also need to figure out how to hook the bedroom TV to the DVD/radio. Should have came with a video switch box.

Ya know there are many factors to consider when evaluating the quality of a product.
    We had a similar experience with our 27.5 Arctic Fox 5th wheel along with a couple more. I must agree the factory QC is poor.
    2016 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLT CREWCAB 4X4 LONGBOX DURAMAX ALLISON HENSILY BD1 TRAILER SAVER 5TH 12" back up screen
    2018 ARCTIC SILVER FOX 5TH WHEEL 27.5 DREAM DINETTE TOPPERSon Living/Dining and Ward Alumaguard Main AwningLow Pro AC w /Ducting 4 Holding Tank Heat Pads 4 Point Powered Leveling & stab jacks 4 Tadi Bros Wireless Back Up Cameras Zamp Solar ZS-10 AW Controller Goodyear Endurance ST 235/80R Load Range E TIREMINDRES for pres & temp.

Comment

Your dealer should of caught some of that. Our dealer vacuumed everything and also filled and dumped the tanks to make sure everything worked right. The stereo is still a mystery to me and I still need to bring out the manual to make it work. Also had the same issues with switches and coax connectors...we figured them out eventually but you would think a little time with a label maker would of fixed it. Oh well. We still like ours and have most of it working the way we want now!!
      Rick & Debbi El Paso, Texas (NJ5W/N5GHN)
      2016 27-5L Disc Brakes, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 30amp Surge Protector, Sat Dish, Solar, MORryde CRE 3000 with X factor.
      2015 GMC Duramax, Allison Trans, B&W Companion hitch, Ultimate Air Bags

Comment

I agree, most of these issues are really a dealer issue. They should be found and address during the dealers PDI. Especially the sawdust everywhere. New RVs bleed that stuff rolling down the road on the delivery run.

Lets make sure we keep this post on subject and not let it turn into another complaining session with no helpful suggestions to help the OP fix any outstanding issues.
        Scott ORHusky 2017 35-5Z AM Solar 610W system, Trav'ler sk-1000, Steady Fast stabilizers, Cummins/Onan 5.5kw 2016 3500 DRW 4X4, AISIN, 373,Crew Cab Granite Crystal, Laramie, B & W Companion.

Comment

I think it is unreasonable to expect the factory to vacuum sawdust for every time they cut an opening. They do vacuum the unit prior to shipment and the dealer should vacuum again when they do your PDI. As you use the unit, expect some sawdust to come down as you travel and bounce the coach around. It runs out eventually. Yes, there are lots of switches and they do not have a diagram, one would be nice. I agree the tech is often confusing, but my iPhone still baffles me as well, not Northwoods fault. Is your leaky valve on the kitchen gray valve? Ours appears to leak, but not until we move and the water between the discharge and the valve all moves downhill. All in all, have reasonable expectations, both from the factory and your dealer. Yes, there is a lot of room for improvement, but given a chance, I think you will be very happy with your AF down the road.
          Ken and Rita Madsen
          2018 GMC 3500 Duramax, 2016 27-5L AF

Comment

Iíve gotta agree with Ken on the vacuuming. A few friends are new home builders who part of their expense is paying a cleaning company to clean the home when they are ready to turn it to the owners, or up for sale. None of those home are moved down the road like our rigs shaking more dust out that wasnít there after cleaned.
            Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

Guess we were fortunate about not having sawdust, yes shower leaked, but fixed. As an ex home builder, I always had homes given a good final cleaning before a final inspection by self to find any details to address. I thought that was thing to do. But, too......I wasn't mass production.
              Neil and Marilyn and Beamer (feline)
              2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax 6.6L 4x4 Double Cab LB, 5th Spring, Ride Rite Air Bags, Tires: 275/75R18 125/122 3640 lb rated, 40 gal Transfer Flow Aux Tank.

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L, Progressive EMS HW30C Surge Protector, TST 507 TPMS w/Color, Sailun Tires G rated, 2 Smart Tool 2000's, Titan Disk Brakes.

Of all the things I've lost. I miss my mind the most :-)

Comment

OK, we have had our 27-5L for 6 months now and have found a few things, but I am only going to complain about 2 in this posting.

The first one can ruin your day if you don't catch it in time.

1. With the main slide out, lift up the carpet at each end. Check that the carpet has been trimmed back from the slide. This carpet has a hard plastic backing that WILL tear the plastic wrap of the slide's plywood base. When this wrap starts to shred, it will leave a black smear on the carpet. I contacted Northwoods about this, but all I was a recommendation to use those slide buddies. That doesn't fix the problem. I couldn't get it through to their Customer Service what the real problem was- even with pictures.
                My solution so far has been to trim that carpet away from the slide and to wrap the corner with a smooth surface Gorilla tape.
                This has happened on both corners because the Northwoods factory crew did not trim either corner back far enough.
                Also, with the slide out, check underneath outside. I found where that carpet had started digging in there too as the slide was moving in and out.
                I have just applied the tape, so time will tell if this 'fixes' the problem.

I have found several little things that I have fixed. But this next one geez whiz, how lazy can you get or is it that they are pushing their assembly crews for productivity and forget quality.

2. I was checking the slide toppers to make sure everything was tight. As soon as I touched this 1 screw, it came out. Low and behold, they had snapped the screw off. Their idea of a repair job was to fill the hole with sealant and stick the screw back in.

I have also added electronic hardware so that we can watch the DVD in the bedroom TV. I'll cover that in another post.
                Attached Files
                2018 Artic Fox 27-5L and a 2018 Ram 3500 Diesel to pull it.
                2011 Victory Vision, 2004 Yamaha Roadstar
                and last but not least 1999 Toyota Epic21 tournament ski boat

Comment

Welcome to my world. Northwood nor power gear or lippert have been any help regarding a slide problem we are having with the slide dragging on our carpet. We were told to buy the slide buddies also.
                  TV: 2016 F250 4X4 3.55 SC, LB, LARIAT 6.7 DIESEL W/ARE Utility Cap and Airlift Ultimate Plus airbags with wireless compressor ProPride Hitch

AF Silver Edition 2018 32 A:
                  Slide out toppers with Alumaguard, Alumaguard Main Awning, 24" TV Bedroom, 15K Low Profile air w/ducting, Fantastic fans, Power Scissor Jacks, Slow Rise Night Shades, Holding Tank Heat Pads, Fireplace, 50 Amp Service, 2 Cross Stitch Swivel Rocker Recliners, Rear View Camera, LP 2nd air, 2" Receiver

Comment

One more item: This has happened twice now and no complaint with Northwood. I just washed the 5th wheel and then re-tracked the slides. The bedroom slide pulled the moisture from bathroom side of slide into interior leaving a puddle on floor next to shower. No big deal, but it happens. One more time was when getting ready to leave campground in heavy rain. Just something to check. Our shower only leaked once in a minor way in 53 days on the road. I'll consider the item fixed! :-)
                    2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax 6.6L 4x4 Double Cab LB, 5th Spring, Ride Rite Air Bags, Tires: 275/75R18 125/122 3640 lb rated, 40 gal Transfer Flow Aux Tank.

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L, Progressive EMS HW30C Surge Protector, TST 507 TPMS w/Color, Sailun Tires G rated, 2 Smart Tool 2000's, Titan Disk Brakes.

Comment

The problem with our slide is not tracking. It all goes back to attention to detail during manufacturing. If the carpet had been trimmed correctly, there WOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM!
                      I guess my BIGGEST gripe with Northwoods is their lack of a QUALITY inspection! I have been in manufacturing for over 40 years (30 as an engineer) and can tell when a company puts their production numbers ahead of doing the job right the first time.
                      Do I regret buying the Artic Fox? No. The 27-5L has features that we wanted compared to their competition. There ARE many things we love about it. The floor plan, storage, MorRyde pin box, to name a few.
                      There are things, as an engineer, I would change. For instance not using Chinese electrical cables.
                      BUT DAMNIT, I thought I was spending the extra bucks for a quality driven product. Foolish me. They are no different from the others in that regard.

Comment

Many have complained about lack of attention to detail by Northwood in past few years. They are just pushing product out the door to take advantage of a good market. Ron Nash is not there anymore and that, to many minds, is the difference. But, we too like our 27-5L.

Comment

Originally posted by orhusky View Post
                          I agree, most of these issues are really a dealer issue. They should be found and address during the dealers PDI. Especially the sawdust everywhere. New RVs bleed that stuff rolling down the road on the delivery run.

Lets make sure we keep this post on subject and not let it turn into another complaining session with no helpful suggestions to help the OP fix any outstanding issues.
                          Here is my thought on this - is Northwoods LISTENING? If customers do not complain, manufacturers assume their product is good enough and do not take steps to improve quality.
                          Could my dealer have done better? Definitely yes.. Some of the stuff I have found though would not have turned up in the PDI.

If Northwoods was interested in maintaining quality, they would canvass their customers for feedback.
                          Do not give me that they are a mass producer and do not have time. That is a cop-out.
                          Interestingly, I have never had a request for feedback from Northwoods on our unit even though it has a non-standard, new feature which they were evaluating.
                          This just tells me that they, as a RV manufacturer, could care less what goes out the door, as long as it does not have an immediate negative impact on sales. Same as all the others.

So yes, I will be complaining where I see fit - and I will offer a solution if I have one when Northwoods can't or won't.
                          So, if this forum wants to yank my membership - go for it! Just make sure that the forum posts why.

Comment

Northwood marketing people have come to the rally for years. And they have consistently said they DO NOT READ this forum. They say they are too busy.

Northwood does have a presence on Facebook but if you post anything negative, they will delete it (ask me how I know).

Believe me many folks have gone to the rally and complained to Northwood and they listen and they say they take back that feedback to their management.

Here's the reality of it all - Northwood is swapped with orders - they don't have to change a thing. In fact the entire RV industry is booming like crazy. Not to make excuses for Northwood but they are even having a difficult time finding minimum wage employees who can pass a drug test. Because the whole RV industry is on fire, Northwood is even having problems getting materials.

The good news is that MOST of the complaints are actually minor - I'm sorry but sawdust is pretty trivial.

If you really want to make your feelings known, write to Northwood. I think the National Director of Sales is Donald Cockran. Write to him, he will read it. My suggestion is to be specific about your issues.

Bill
                            Bill, Mary, and Scottie
                            2015 RAM 3500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin, SRW, Hensley BD-3 Hitch
                            2017 AF 27-5L
                            http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/719790.png

Comment

Lids punched into my black, cracked front cap, slide dragging on my carpet with no guidance on how to fix it. Entry door so out of rack they don't know how to fix it. Shower that leaks. Window falling out, holes cut in my floor that look like a 2 year old cut it. Debris pushing up under my roofing material, I could go on and on but its far from saw dust. This may not be a lemon law but it is a breach of contract.
                              TV: 2016 F250 4X4 3.55 SC, LB, LARIAT 6.7 DIESEL W/ARE Utility Cap and Airlift Ultimate Plus airbags with wireless compressor ProPride Hitch

AF Silver Edition 2018 32 A:
                              Slide out toppers with Alumaguard, Alumaguard Main Awning, 24" TV Bedroom, 15K Low Profile air w/ducting, Fantastic fans, Power Scissor Jacks, Slow Rise Night Shades, Holding Tank Heat Pads, Fireplace, 50 Amp Service, 2 Cross Stitch Swivel Rocker Recliners, Rear View Camera, LP 2nd air, 2" Receiver

Comment

Originally posted by BZawlocki View Post
                                Northwood marketing people have come to the rally for years. And they have consistently said they DO NOT READ this forum. They say they are too busy.

Northwood does have a presence on Facebook but if you post anything negative, they will delete it (ask me how I know).

Believe me many folks have gone to the rally and complained to Northwood and they listen and they say they take back that feedback to their management.

Here's the reality of it all - Northwood is swapped with orders - they don't have to change a thing. In fact the entire RV industry is booming like crazy. Not to make excuses for Northwood but they are even having a difficult time finding minimum wage employees who can pass a drug test. Because the whole RV industry is on fire, Northwood is even having problems getting materials.

The good news is that MOST of the complaints are actually minor - I'm sorry but sawdust is pretty trivial.

If you really want to make your feelings known, write to Northwood. I think the National Director of Sales is Donald Cockran. Write to him, he will read it. My suggestion is to be specific about your issues.

Bill
                                Ahh, need to read my latest post concerning the problem I found with the carpet vs the slide - that is not trivial.
                                I agree, sawdust is trivial but it shows a general lack of quality control.

Comment

Working...
                                X