Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Arctic Fox 22G New Owners

Greetings,

My wife and I spent the last couple of weekends touring Outdoor RV Creekside and Arctic Fox trailers. We settled on a deal and will be driving our Arctic Fox 22G home from Colfax, CA at the end of the month. We have been using a 5x8 cargo trailer to haul all off our astronomy and camping gear behind a Highlander for the last 9 years. I recently bought a new 2017 GMC 2500HD SLT double cab with extendable towing mirrors for towing a full size travel trailer. We went with the 3/4 ton so I could keep my astronomy gear secure and out of the trailer under a Leer camper shell. I just added a 180 watt solar panel to the Leer camper shell so I can charge up my astronomy batteries and run a Engel DC freezer in the back of the truck. The camper shell, astronomy gear and riders in the truck required the payload of a 3/4 ton so I would have capacity for the trailer tongue weight.

We chose an Arctic Fox layout over the Creekside layouts for several reasons. We like the sit and sleep sofa option. It is a comfortable place to sit instead of staying at the dinette. We will put a 3 inch thick memory foam topper over the folding mattress. I like that the total trailer weight is under 24 foot. I like the additional storage in the large cabinet in the bathroom. My wife was happy to have a shower door instead of a curtain. I didn't want huge windows since much of our camping is at astronomy events where all light inside trailers has to be fully blocked from showing on the outside.

The other features that are shared with the Outdoor RVs are the decent size tanks, quality insulation and decent frame and suspension. We didn't want any slide out for weight and down the road service issues. We spend much more time outside enjoying astronomy, visiting with others or taking day hikes. The trailer is a place to get some sleep and get out of the weather if it becomes too cold, wet or windy.

I have done 3 previous solar setups and plan on starting with a medium size setup and expanding if we find more is needed after the first year. I plan on using a pair of Grape Solar 180 watt monocrystalline panels in series connect to a Victron SmartSolar 100/30 controller. I also have a 6 gauge power pole cable that can take power from the truck's 180 watt panels and send it to the trailer when not charging astronomy batteries in the truck. I will use a pair of Battle Born Batteries 100 amp-hour batteries in parallel. I will mount them in the storage area under the rear set of the dinette. I want them in a climate controlled and secured environment. The BMS on the batteries will not permit charging below 25 degrees. Keeping them inside will avoid that problem. I will leave room in the setup for a 3rd 100 amp-hour battery if we feel we need it after the first year. I currently own two of the 50 amp-hour Battle Born Batteries. They work great and only weight 17 pounds each. I carry them out to the location where my astronomy equipment gets setup. The SmartSolar MPPT controllers can stay completely out of side in the storage area near the batteries since everything can be controlled and monitored from a bluetooth app on my phone.

I want a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter to run the microwave, Vitamix blender and a 120 volt vacuum cleaner. I will use a Honda EU2200 generator to run the air conditioning if we are in a warmer location needing it. I will add an Easy Start kit to the AC so the generator won't see the high locked rotor amps.

Almost all of our camping is off the grid so we will depend on our solar power and decent size tanks to stay out longer. We avoid all light pollution when looking at the stars so that includes camping around others that building camp fires or external lights. Nevada has a lot of BLM land to support camping out on or own.

I hope to get up to La Grand OR and visit some other Arctic Fox owners in the future and maybe tour the plant. I am sure we will have questions coming up. I hope the NROA becomes a good conduit for sharing information.

Thanks for reading

Jeff

GMC 2500HD SLT Double Cab 2017 - Arctic Fox 22G 2018

Welcome Jeff
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Welcome, Jeff. I think you choose the perfect trailer for your needs. We'll look forward to hearing about some of your astronomy events.
      Linda & Dave (retired US Army) and Magic, the Yellow Lab Duck Dog
      2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i, Les Schwab 105 6-volt batteries, Maxxis Tires, Torque Lift Steps
      2017 RAM 2500 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4, CTD, 8' Bed, Granite Crystal, new 7/1/17
      2003 DODGE 3500 SLT Quad Cab 244K mi. SOLD 7/20/17

Comment

Welcome. We bought a 22H for many of the same reasons. We have been very pleased with ours.
        Mark and Anita
        09 Tundra with engine, exhaust, and tires; 2012 AF 22H and some hitching stuff I paid too much for; old Schwinn bike now gone and new Cannondale Quick in its place, Honda 110 (now licensed, but not running), case of cheap red wine, bag of Cheese Curls, and a hammer or two (one rusty).

Comment

Welcome. You know there is the rally in a couple of months. Not sure if it is full though. https://www.nroa2003.com/forum/forum...19th-june-24th
          2001 F-350 V-10 4X4 CC 68,000 miles. Added Larger Transmission Cooler, Rear View Camera, ScanGauge II.
          2018 Nash 26N. 540W Solar, 2nd Bathroom Medicine Cabinet, Progressive Industries EMS, Two Recliners,
          2015 Nash 17K Previous

Let's Go Geocaching!

Comment

I would love to go but we have pretty much booked some every month so the rally will have to wait another year so my wife can get a vacation request in.

Comment

Welcome Jeff, I am sure you both will enjoy your new trailer.
              Tom and Dianne

2015 25Y Arctic Fox
              2015.5 GMC Denali Duramax 2500HD Iridium
              3P Pro Pride 1400# WD Hitch
              Michelin XPS Rib 245/75r16, TST 570 internal

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Your rig sounds perfect for your needs.

I hope you'll forgive me an off the wall question. As an astrologist do you have an opinion on the existence of UFO's?
                Harvey Barlow
                USN Retired
                Glade Springs, WV
                2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab & Chassis, Cummins ISB6.7 Aisin CM Flatbed BrakeSmart Transfer Flow 212k miles
                2011 Arctic Fox 26X LT245/75R16LRE tires (SOLD)
                2012 Unnamed 10' Slide-In Truck Camper

Comment

I am an amateur astronomer, not an astrologist. I don't look at the stars and planets are try to predict my future. In the distant past astrologist were also astronomers.

The universe is incredibly vast. It is quite likely there are other places with life but the distances between solar systems are so great it would be improbable for a living creature to travel between solar systems.I don't believe there will be technologies permitting travel faster than the speed of light. It is extremely difficult to accelerate an object to a fraction of the speed of light which is 299,792,458 meters/second. Our fasted space craft was the Junos mission at 73,627 meters/second.

Comment

We are happy owners of a 2017 22G. Welcome to the club and the forum. We went ahead and got the queen bed instead of the sit/sleep option.
                    2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali 4x4 Diesel
                    2017 Arctic Fox 22G.

Comment

Welcome Jeff! Sounds like you will have a good set up once itís complete. Battle Born batteries are changing the RV battery world.
                      Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

Originally posted by astrocamper View Post
                        I am an amateur astronomer, not an astrologist. I don't look at the stars and planets are try to predict my future. In the distant past astrologist were also astronomers.

The universe is incredibly vast. It is quite likely there are other places with life but the distances between solar systems are so great it would be improbable for a living creature to travel between solar systems.I don't believe there will be technologies permitting travel faster than the speed of light. It is extremely difficult to accelerate an object to a fraction of the speed of light which is 299,792,458 meters/second. Our fasted space craft was the Junos mission at 73,627 meters/second.
                        Thank you for a professional answer to a dumb question. I usually dispute and ignore anything I can't actually confirm as real but I'm occasionally puzzled by reports of military pilots claiming to have seen and even photographed what is claimed to be space ships. I read one such report recently.

Harvey Barlow
                        USN Retired
                        Glade Springs, WV
                        2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab & Chassis, Cummins ISB6.7 Aisin CM Flatbed BrakeSmart Transfer Flow 212k miles
                        2011 Arctic Fox 26X LT245/75R16LRE tires (SOLD)
                        2012 Unnamed 10' Slide-In Truck Camper

Comment

It is hard to judge when looking at a written question if the person asking wants a serious response or is just asking in jest. The polite response is to treat it as a serious question. Face to face I would see if the person is trying to crack me up or pulling my chain.

Most of what I enjoy looking at in the dark sky is 10,000 of thousands to many millions of light years away. I consider a telescope a Way-Back-Machine since it shows light from galaxies as they looked like 100s of millions of years ago.

Astronomy camping is the opposite of backpacking. Backpacking requires a very minimalist approach to gear so the pack weight is enjoyable on a multiple week trip that requires many days of food. I do visual astronomy and astronomy imaging which requires a lot of gear related to the very accurate mount, imaging and guide cameras and a laptop to control everything. I carry several hundred pounds of astronomy gear, plus what is needed to camp off grid for 7-9 days at a time. When backpacking my pack weighs about 15 pounds plus the weight of the bear canister with food and I can hike 12 days before doing a resupply. It's just a little weird thinking about the weight contrast between RV camping and backpacking.

Comment

We loved 2016 22G. The sit-sleep sofa was perfect for rainy days. With LED lights, power draw was minimal. The 140 watt solar kept full charge in even marginal sunlight. Even week in redwoods did not draw down batteries. We had microwave removed and gained large liqour cabinet. Unfortunately had to sell for health reasons, but to a wonderful couple in early 60's who value same outdoors that we do. AF has best interior layout of any trailer.
                            2016 Chevrolet one ton diesel
                            2016 AF22G, solar, sit/sleep

Comment

Jeff, several of the NROA members camped out in the Quartzsite, Arizona desert several months ago. We would have loved to have had your expertise and 'star toys' out there at night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6201 (2).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	273175
                              Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Working...
                              X