Underbelly frame and tank rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underbelly frame and tank rust

Hi - I'm considering purchasing a 2008 Arctic Fox M-26Z2. The inside looks clean. The exterior walls and ceiling look decent for their age. The underside frame was mostly painted. The frame not painted, some of the rear bumper, and the visible part of the waste water holding tanks show rust (pictures found here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TznptiuFqTXP5Jmf7). Any idea as to how much of an issue (or cost) this could be to repair?

There are also unconnected wires hanging from the waste holding tanks. Any idea is to why they're there?

Many thanks in advance for your help here.

Alex
    Alex
    2008 Arctic Fox M--26Z2

Originally posted by Willaa14 View Post

There are also unconnected wires hanging from the waste holding tanks. Any idea is to why they're there?

Many thanks in advance for your help here.

Alex
    Those wires are used when troubleshooting the tank level indicator sensors. I don't know exactly how they are used, but that's what they are for.

2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali 4x4 Diesel
    2017 Arctic Fox 22G.

Comment

Frames can almost be rusty on delivery.
      IMHO surface rust is not a problem.

https://www.nroa2003.com/forum/forum...-painted-frame
      https://www.nroa2003.com/forum/forum...2018-nash-rust
      https://www.nroa2003.com/forum/index...29-rusty-frame
      https://www.nroa2003.com/forum/index.php?routestring=forum/message-board/maintenance-batteries-trailer-tires-equipment/11344-frame-maintenance-rust
      2018 GMC 3500 SB diesel with pull rite superglide
      2017 Arctic fox 27-5l 50Amp 5.5 Gen, 4 6 volt, 450W solar,ARPrv,michelin xps,power watchdog, Tank Heat Pads and 4 Point Leveling System
      2007 Titanium 34E39RE

My 27-5l Manual

Comment

Our frame was rusty the first year. It seems the paint used at the factory is not high quality. The first link Art posted is our trailer. Repainting is not a fun job but doable. I have no idea what it would cost to hire it done as I did mine myself.

Edit: Sorry I hadn't taken time to look at the picture before posting. I would agree with RocklinDave below and his assessment. The rust on the side support on the frame is not just surface rust. There are large flakes of rust. I wouldn't want to make any assessment of frame integrity from pictures but to me the frame would need to be painted immediately to stop further damage.
        The plexiglass would be very concerning.
        I agree with Dave. Looks like it could be a money pit.
        Steve & Brenda and Our Cocker Spaniel Bella
        2019 RAM Diesel Laramie Crew cab 4x4
        2017 Arctic Fox 25Y, Blue Ox Sway Pro, Lippert Center Point Suspension.

Comment

A strange sheet of plexiglass screwed onto the door over the exterior window is the 1st red flag.....

From the 'delivery check-out form' photo, it appears the trailer may have been originally purchased / delivered to a construction company.

At the very least based on photos:
          • Rear bumper will need to be replaced due to rust damage (beyond surface rust)
          • Several areas of trim will have to be replaced due to damage, other areas re-caulked
          • Due to poor caulking trim areas, check for water intrusion / damage areas & obvious leaks
          • Door will have to be repaired due to possible window damage and to remove / repair prior poor plexiglass repair
          • Repair rust (possible structural support damage) under trailer

From the deferred maintenance seen in the photos, I would be very hesitant in purchasing this trailer unless first checked by a qualified trailer repair facility with a fine toothed comb, paying attention to any interior water intrusion, roof condition / soft structural areas (water damage), delamination of exterior sheeting, condition of appliances, wheels / brakes / axles, water damage around windows, etc.

When I see serious deferred maintenance / poor DIY repairs on anything (car, boat, home, RV, etc), the first thing I think, whats going on that can't be seen or what was covered up to sell it.....

This trailer could be a serious 'money-pit' once repairs are started.
          Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

All of this input has been incredibly helpful. I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

I agree the condition is a reflection of how the trailer has been treated and sense I am going to pass on purchasing it. I see this as an investment, how much will I pay for it, how much will repairs cost in money and/or time, and for how much could I sell it. I'll speak to the current owner, see what they're flexibility in price is, and look for other used trailers for sale.

Thank you all again!

Alex
            Alex
            2008 Arctic Fox M--26Z2

Comment

Working...
            X