Please Visit Our Sponsors

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Northwood think 120V stove vent is a good idea? How can I fix it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does Northwood think 120V stove vent is a good idea? How can I fix it?

Playing with the stove hood today, I discovered that the lights and the vent are both 120V *only*. Not very boondocking ready, is it? (The lack of light I can easily work around, but how am I to cook while boondocking? Start the genny??)

Looking back through the posts, it looks like Northwood made this decision back in 2015 for the 27-5L, when they decided on the Furrion Microwave/Convection/Stove hood combo.

I found Dave MC's post on adding on computer fans, but his website is pretty much offline, so no pics.

Any ideas on how/where I can attach a couple of 12v fans to allow me to use the stove hood?

And yes, I'll contact Northwood about this: I think it's a really bonehead move.

Burlet Clan: Karen & Marcel
    Jacob: Lab/Akita, Lola: Boxer/Pit
    "White Zin": Chevy Silverado 2500HD High Country
    "Dalai Lama - One With Everything": Arctic Fox 27-5L

Never heard of a 120v microwave, that utilizes 12v fan/lights. Northwood has to balance function with availability & cost.

We have a stick-up LED light that's attached to the underside of the microwave.

For ventilation, we just open the nearby kitchen window a crack and use the 12v fantastic fan on exhaust.

Has always worked for us while cooking & boondocking.
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Our old 28-5 had a microwave over the stove, but a separate vent hood (12V, with a loud but ineffective fan). I just *Yaba daba doooooYaba daba doooooYaba daba dooooo*umed that our new trailer would be the same (none of the units we toured had either 12V or 120V available).

Yeah, it makes sense that, with the hood integrated with the microwave, it would be 120V. But, as a boondocking trailer, it just feels *off*.

Comment

That hood light is the last non-LED light we have. But I've heard it can be replaced with an LED lamp as almost any lights can be now. So I need to pull it out and find a replacement. Not only is it not LED it is weak and emits yellow light.
        James and Cindy Kramer
        Arctic Fox 25Y 2016-2012 Ford F350 4WD
        Fulltime starting summer 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Agesilaus View Post
          That hood light is the last non-LED light we have. But I've heard it can be replaced with an LED lamp as almost any lights can be now. So I need to pull it out and find a replacement. Not only is it not LED it is weak and emits yellow light.
          Look for a "LED Replacement Light Bulb 921/T15 Wedge Base". I found mine from Amazon.
          Is your refrigerator bulb LED? Ours wasn't and neither were the bathroom vanity bulbs. The vanity bulbs were the most difficult to find.

2017 Arctic Fox 992 Truck Camper
          2005 Ford F350, 6.0 Diesel, Crew Cab, 4x4, Manual Trans
          Honda EU2000i Generator
          River Wild 16' Drift Boat, 9.9 Honda Outboard
          Stillwater Trout Fly Fisherman

Comment

neither were the bathroom vanity bulbs
            Ours are the standard overhead lights like most of the others in the camper, all were LED when we got it. There is a rather worthless on/off switch on the side of the sink tho, that with the lights right over the sink with their own on/off.
            James and Cindy Kramer

Comment

Originally posted by ICamel View Post
              ...Look for a LED Replacement Light Bulb 921/T15 Wedge Base"...
              Our OEM microwave took two "screw-base E-17" type LED bulbs as a replacement:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Microwave E-17 Bulbs.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	303792
              Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

That's why I'm waiting to get a replacement since there seems to be several types. I need to get out there and pull the lamp out.

Did anyone answer the 120V blower question, the answer is get a 12V replacement: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=12v+blowe...c_3_10_ts-oa-p

OK I got the lamp out and it is a type C921 wedge base

https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Traile...9332756&sr=8-3

They only come in packs of many and the fewer in the pack the more expensive? So I'll have a 25 year supply unless I can use the lamps elsewhere.
                James and Cindy Kramer

Comment

Originally posted by marcel View Post
                  Playing with the stove hood today, I discovered that the lights and the vent are both 120V *only*. Not very boondocking ready, is it? (The lack of light I can easily work around, but how am I to cook while boondocking? Start the genny??)

Any ideas on how/where I can attach a couple of 12v fans to allow me to use the stove hood?
                  I have to wonder if 12v fans will have any affect with the low volume of air they move. Dave's solution is a good one for the interim. We use our vent fan and lighting along with an induction cooktop (all 120v) for most of our cooking. We boondock about 95% of our days out and the only way to comfortably do so is with solar, additional batteries, and a good inverter. I know that type of setup is not for everybody but for us it works really well and was worth the investment.

Off-Road ready, Boon-docking ready, Solar ready, 4 Season, etc...are all sales terms. They really mean ....we have given you a starting point for any of these items, all you have to do is spend some money to make to work correctly!
                  Randy & Connie
                  Walnut Creek, CA
                  2016 6.7L Ford F-350 SRW, EEZ TPMS
                  2016 27-5L, 5.5kW Gen, 600W Solar, 500Ah AGM, Hybrid 3kW Inverter, plus a couple other Mods.

Comment

Some of those 12V blowers are about 300 CFM I'm not sure what the 120V version installed is, or actually I don't have a feel for how much air 300 CFM is in the first place.
                    James and Cindy Kramer

Comment

OK I got the lamp out and it is a type C921 wedge base
                      https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Traile...9332756&sr=8-3
                      They only come in packs of many and the fewer in the pack the more expensive? So I'll have a 25 year supply unless I can use the lamps elsewhere.
                      Here is a package of 2. Still somewhat expensive. I bet this will light up your cooktop!
                      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072FHNZKW...ing=UTF8&psc=1
                      2017 Arctic Fox 992 Truck Camper
                      2005 Ford F350, 6.0 Diesel, Crew Cab, 4x4, Manual Trans
                      Honda EU2000i Generator
                      River Wild 16' Drift Boat, 9.9 Honda Outboard
                      Stillwater Trout Fly Fisherman

Comment

Some of those 12V blowers are about 300 CFM I'm not sure what the 120V version installed is, or actually I don't have a feel for how much air 300 CFM is in the first place.
                        Google says....most microwave exhaust fans run 300 - 400 cfm. Our replacement microwave, Whirlpool WML55011HS low profile
                        has a 400 cfm fan. I/You can tell the difference.
                        Kim + Betsy
                        I do all my own stunts....just ask my wife.
                        2017 AF 35-5Z
                        2017 F450 Lariat

Comment

I didn't know until reading this that our vent fan was 120V. I have only used it twice, both times when I was burning off the mfg oils from the convection oven, and the DW has never used it.

We just crack a window and use the Fantastic vent.

As far as these being boondocking ready, we had an older 27-5L so we knew what to expect when we bought this one. After a couple of years of looking, these really are the best option to start from. No one could make a rig that is ready for all the different ways they get used.
                          2018 27-5L 30 amp, 4 point leveling
                          Mods so far: Charge Wizard pendant, Honeywell thermostat, cold weather power cord, multi color leds in kitchen, 420 watts solar, dimmers on interior LED lights, extra 120v outlet under pantry, Victron 375 watt inverter, furnace vent in kitchen, paper towel shelf above fridge, Winegard Air 360
                          2000 27-5L sold after 8 great years

Comment

So, it turned out to be a non-issue for us when we were dry-camping on our recent vacation, but only because we had ordered the trailer with the 5.5K integrated generator. It was trivially easy for me to start the very quiet genny with the convenient interior rocker switch and run it while I was cooking. We had all our electronics staged to charge while I was cooking :^) The operation is so completely unlike our old trailer with the incredibly loud and vibratory generator we installed where one had to go outside to manually switch the power cable to even begin to run the genny. I quickly learned to hate to run it for all but the most extreme reasons because the noise and shaking put my teeth on edge. Not so now!

Karen

Comment

Working...
                            X