RV shopping dilemma - best solution for bringing the motorcycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV shopping dilemma - best solution for bringing the motorcycle

This is my first post to the forum. My apologies in advance if I'm doing this incorrectly. I've been struggling with a question as I shop for a new Arctic Fox. I've got several competing goals, with some very different potential solutions, and would love any advice you may have to offer.

Competing Goals:
    1. The RV I purchase must be really solid, durable, high quality, etc. I understand this means heavier and more expensive. I'm happy to spend more money to get something that has fewer problems over time. This is why I'm looking at Arctic Fox models.
    2. We'd like to keep the size of the RV down, so that we can get into more campgrounds where there are wooded campsites, national and state parks etc. I'd much rather be in a wooded campsite than in an open area with lots of parallel concrete slabs separated only by picnic tables. I've been told by more experienced RV folks that under 30' is ideal, but under 35' is also workable.
    3. I want to take my full size (Goldwing) motorcycle with me when we travel. (My wife doesn't fully understand why, but that's another story.)
    4. My wife finds the interior of toy haulers to be way too industrial for her. She prefers the interiors of RVs that are not toy haulers. If the garage section is fully enclosed and separated from the living space by a door, it mitigates her concerns, but then we'd be looking at RVs that are much larger (generally over 40') and won't easily fit in many of the campgrounds we'd like to visit. (There's also the issue that most aren't as solidly made as I would like.)
    Potential Solutions:
    1. Put the motorcycle in the back of the pickup truck (with a hydraulic loading system) and pull a travel trailer. If I go this route, I will purchase an Arctic Fox 28F.
    2. Mount a Hydralift motorcycle carrier on the back of an Arctic Fox fifth wheel trailer. I understand that Hydralifts are normally mounted on the back of large diesel pushers, and that placing them on a fifth wheel often requires welding modifications to the chassis. I know of one custom builder that offers a Hydralift as an option on their 5th wheels, but they are a very expensive custom builder with a very heavy product. Has anyone put a Hydralift on an Arctic Fox? Does it work reasonably well? Models I'm considering for this would be either the 27-5L or 28-5C in order to keep the length down. If there's a reason why it might be better, I could also consider the 29-5T but wouldn't want to go longer than that.
    3. Any other solution folks in the forum might want to suggest? Any pros or cons to the solutions above that I may not have considered? I'm all ears!
    Thanks in advance for any advice you may have to offer.
    -Howie
    Shopping for RV - seriously considering Arctic Fox 28F

That is a lot of weight to hang off the back of a 5th wheel. Moto = 800 lbs, lift = 300lbs. You will have to run the numbers but my guess is you will easily exceed the GVWR of almost any 5th wheel. Good luck with your shopping, looking forward to how it all works out for you.
    Randy & Connie
    Walnut Creek, CA
    2016 6.7L Ford F-350 SRW, EEZ TPMS
    2016 27-5L, 5.5kW Gen, 600W Solar, 500Ah AGM, Hybrid 3kW Inverter, plus a couple other Mods.

Comment

Our situation was very similar to yours. We had always owned fifth wheels until we got into off-roading. We bought a Can Am 2-person ATV that fits into the 8-foot bed of my pickup, but that wouldn’t work with a 5er. At first we tried adding a swivel wheel tow dolly behind our SOB 5er, it threw the trailer dynamics off so much that it wasn’t towable. So we sold the 5er and dolly and bought a SOB toy hauler 5er. It was the smallest model we could find with a separate garage—which my wife wanted. It towed nicely, but wasn’t well made, and was 35 feet long. It was difficult to fit into many campgrounds. It started having axle and delamination problems, so we made the necessary repairs and traded it in on our current 25Y. Overall we’ve both been very happy with that decision. We’ve traveled many miles towing the 25Y with the ATV in the truck bed.

I would NOT recommend hauling your Goldwing mounted on the rear of a fifth wheel, too much weight!
      Jim and Esther

2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500 HD, Duramax/Allison, extended cab, 8-foot bed, 3.73 posi-traction, AirLift air springs, EezTire T515/SP TPMS, fog lamps, alloy rims, Kenwood stereo

2016 Arctic Fox 25Y, slide out topper, 15k air conditioner, powered scissor jacks, thermal pane windows, swivel rocker/recliners, 300w solar panels, 6v batteries, Blue Ox SwayPro 1500, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30, Giandel 2200 watt pure sine wave inverter

Comment

Thanks for sharing those experiences. I do see Hydralift models made specifically for fifth wheels, but am a bit nervous about potential problems. It sounds like my best option will be to load the motorcycle in the back of the truck, and then pull a travel trailer. The 28F looks like a good option for us. Now I have to track down the best way for me to safely load the Goldwing into the back of the truck. I've seen some different approaches, and hope to get something that uses hydraulics instead of a winch with a cable. (I had to replace way too many cable winches on a commercial boat that I used to run.)

Thanks,
        -Howie

Comment

Originally posted by HowieDickerman View Post
          Thanks for sharing those experiences. I do see Hydralift models made specifically for fifth wheels, but am a bit nervous about potential problems. It sounds like my best option will be to load the motorcycle in the back of the truck, and then pull a travel trailer. The 28F looks like a good option for us. Now I have to track down the best way for me to safely load the Goldwing into the back of the truck. I've seen some different approaches, and hope to get something that uses hydraulics instead of a winch with a cable. (I had to replace way too many cable winches on a commercial boat that I used to run.)

Thanks,
          -Howie
          With a large Goldwing in the bed + lift system + trailer tongue weight + passengers / fuel / gear......Unless your truck has duel-rear wheels, try and get an estimated weight to see if your rear tires will take the maximum load.
          Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

I have plenty of experience with a Motorcycle on back of our 27-5L. First I had a rack welded on back with a removalable ramp and a winch which loaded bike up onto rack. Bike weighed wet 565 lbs. With bike and trailer loaded I was always in spec both on total weight and pin weight. Trailer towed very nicely. After three years of doing this we discovered we wanted our bikes and sometimes other toys along on our month long trips. I then had a 5 foot Freedom Hauler made with a Rampage Motorcycle lift. You can go to Freedom Haulers website and the Arctic Fox which is depicted in both there videos and pictures is ours. More than happy to send pics of both applications and or discuss more with you.
            2017 27-5i,Solar,Generator,Deleted carpet,2000 watt Xandrex inverter,all the bells and whistles,Welded to frame motorcycle rack in rear, 2016 Ram 2500 Diesel,Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Comment

Look into the Idaho Tote

Comment

Idaho Tote is now Freedom Hauler. Same Co.
                2017 27-5i,Solar,Generator,Deleted carpet,2000 watt Xandrex inverter,all the bells and whistles,Welded to frame motorcycle rack in rear, 2016 Ram 2500 Diesel,Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Comment

Get a truck camper, tow a small 6x12 enclosed trailer behind you to haul the Goldwing and double as more living space when the bike is outside....
                  2017 Wolf Creek 850
                  BoondockersWelcome Host

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I'm not particularly concerned about weight in the truck (with dual rear wheels on a one ton diesel truck,) and while I know that many folks have been quite successful with Freedom Hauler and other similar units, I'm not sure how comfortable I am with adding extensions to the back of the trailer with their own wheels. I plan to look into this option more closely.

I'd like to outline some of my other thinking. I'd love to hear if I'm way off track, or if the tradeoffs I'm evaluating seem reasonable. Any feedback would be appreciated.

My wife and I would like, but don't really need, the extra room/amenities that are possible with a fifth wheel, and honestly, there's something appealing about keeping the overall complexity and size of the rig down. If we went with a fifth wheel, we'd want the second air conditioner, 50 amp service, and a full set of other options. By the time we're done configuring everything, we'd have a larger unit (both length and height,) and everything (storage, maintenance, etc.) becomes just a bit more complex. I really like the way a fifth wheel applies it's weight over the truck's rear axle, and the overall stability. A fifth wheel certainly has it's appeal, and someday we may wind up in a larger 5er, but right now I'm leaning toward keeping things smaller and simpler if I can.

On the other hand, going all the way down to a truck camper would provide a camping experience that's not what my wife and I have in mind. I'm sure we'd like to have more space/storage, amenities than would fit in a camper.

A travel trailer feels like it provides the right compromise for us. If I purchase the AF-28F, we'd have a unit that's very nice, that's only 30' overall (and fits in most campgrounds,) that only needs 30 amp service for a single air conditioner. I'm sure we'd find this unit would work for us. That leaves me with figuring out how to bring the motorcycle along.

There are several different systems out there for loading the motorcycle into the back of the pickup. Some of these use winches and steel cables to pull the motorcycle up a ramp while the front wheel is chocked onto a custom dolly designed for this purpose. Examples are: Rampage Power Lift, Mountain Master, Mighty Hauler, and some others. I'm sure these work just fine, but I've spent years operating a commercial landing craft as a dive boat that used winches and cables and I've promised myself that I won't purchase any more winches and cables in my lifetime. (I know there's way less salt and corrosion in campgrounds than on a boat, but I've replaced more winches and cables than I can count, and would like to get away from them.)

Another option involves hydraulic loaders that pick a platform up off the ground and place it onto the back of the truck. Some of these designs set the deck on top of the pickup because they are too wide to fit within the bed. (This is especially true of the units designed to load two snowmobiles.) Other designs are narrow enough to fit within the truck bed. Sometimes these can load without removing the tailgate, and sometimes not. Examples include: Mountain Master (they have both hydraulic and winch/cable solutions), AmeriDeck's PowerDeck, Tuff Lift, Slick Lift, and others.

I'm leaning toward one of the hydraulic solutions, one that will place the deck within the truck bed (not on top). Has anyone used one of these hydraulic loaders? Do they work well? Are there drawbacks I'm not thinking about? I'm leaning toward getting one of these and then pulling a travel trailer as the best compromise for what I'm trying to accomplish.

I really do appreciate getting your thoughts on this subject.

Thanks,
                    Howie

Comment

I own a Goldwing and have been to several rallies. I saw one of those hydraulic lifts being used by an attendee. Very slick and seemed to be well designed. I have no idea what brand it was though.
                      Good luck with your purchase!
                      2017 Wolf Creek 850
                      BoondockersWelcome Host

Comment

Working...
                      X