new residence location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new residence location

Thinking about full time RVing but need a new residence, mailing location in a state that allows it. I have heard of such places but how do I find them? Just got to get out of California.
    Gary
    GaryQ
    2007 29-5T, 125 Solar Panels, Inverter, 5th Airborne Sidewinder Combo, Brake Smart Controller, Michelin 16" XPS RIB tires
    2001 Dodge CTD 2500, LB, Dana 80 4.10, AirBags, Smarty, DTT Trans w/Smart Controller, Mag-Hyrtec Trans & Differential Covers, 4 inch Exhaust, PacBrake, 60 Gal Tank

South Dakota, Florida and Texas may be choices for you. Those states currently have no state income tax. I’ll be doing South Dakota. If you are an Escapees RV Club member, check out their domicile postings. Escapees also has mail forwarding services in those states.
    1998 USAF retiree
    2020/21 Arctic Fox 32-5M
    2020 Chevrolet 3500HD - Diesel, 4x4, DRW, B&W Companion

Comment

That's the states, you need to look at insurance costs (health and otherwise) in those states along with the tax benefits. In Florida St Brendan's Isle mail service is very popular and they will walk you thru everything you need to do to obtain Florida domicile status. Reportedly you can do everything in an afternoon. They have an understanding with the county people to smooth the way.
      Escapees does have a mail service but you have to be a member of Escapees ($39/yr) to use it but there are a lot of other benefits with membership in a normal year, not so much right now. Escapees does have addresses in all three states but in FL and SD they send all mail to the central location in TX to be processed. There are any number of other services but I am not familiar with them.
      James and Cindy Kramer
      Arctic Fox 25Y 2016-2012 Ford F350 4WD
      Fulltime starting summer 2020

Comment

We used Dakota Post in Sioux Falls for the 3 years we were on the road. Great folks. Make sure you read the legal information on the Escapees site regarding domicile - very helpful.
        [ATTACH]n5819[/ATTACH]
        Tom & Paula
        2013 Fox Mtn 235RLS
        2016 Ram 2500 Bighorn Crew, 6.7 Cummins turbo diesel
        Anderson Ultimate Hitch, 3225

Comment

Gary, before you do anything join Escapees escapees.com. It is only $39 a year as others have suggested. They have the ultimate guide to establishing a domicile which covers the best states and all the legal pitfalls if you don't do it right. It covers mail forwarding, insurance, medical and just about anything you need to consider. If you don't do it correctly the state you are leaving (especially California) may still have full jurisdiction for taxes, will, and any law suits to name a few things.

The $39 membership is cheap advice for you to consider plus there a lot of other member benefits with membership. Take it slow and get all the facts before making the decision,

Good luck!
          Glen & Linda
          2018 27-5L Arctic Fox,
          2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD D/A 4X4 Ext Cab
          Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch
          Blogs: Ongoing: http://glelin-travels1.blogspot.com/
          Alaska: http://glelin-travels.blogspot.com/

Comment

California hounded me for three years after I moved to Korea!! Every year they came after me. Their excuse was my truck was still registered there. It was in storage in Reno and I couldn't show proof of living in another state. I beat them but what a pain.
            2014 Nash 24M pulled by a 2000 F350 4X4 7.3, Banks Powerpack w/ exhaust brake, custom built transmission, Hensley brake controller, ProPride P3 WDH, Kenwood 5 camera system, SteadyFast stabilization system, Diamonback bed cover, TPMS by Minder Research, 2 x 6 volt batteries in a Power Armor battery box, 2 x 2000 Yamaha gen sets.

Comment

Working...
            X