Please Visit Our Sponsors

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Net Carrying Capacity etc

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Net Carrying Capacity etc

    Hi Folks,

    Could you please correct me if I am wrong -

    We are thinking to switch to FW from TT in the future, and learning AF floor plans I've found that the 35-5Z Net Carrying Capacity is only 1,706 lb.

    900 lb of them is 100 gal of freshwater (tank+heater)
    Let's grant 300 lb to the rest of the tanks (I can't imagine the situation when all 3 tanks are full).
    160 lb goes to W/D combo
    50 lb goes to 2 batteries
    160 lb full propane tanks
    200 lb kitchen things and food
    200 lb all wardrobe and sleeping stuff

    ========================

    1970 lb

    Looks strange, maybe there is a mistake? My 25W has 3,000+ lb and such huge FW only 1,700??

    And folks, from your experience, how much of Net Carrying Capacity you require? I always easily fit in 2,000 lb but I am not a fulltime...

    Thank you in advance
    2020 25W -> 2019 Tundra 1794

  • #2
    Sounds right for Northwood. I have the onboard generator up front so that make it heavy on the pin. With nothing in the tanks other than HW heater and modestly loaded for travel, I am at 16,400 lbs+.When I load my vespa on the back its at about 16,700 lbs. At Cat scales, I was at 12,500+ lbs on the axles so I'm in good shape there. I switched to 17.5 wheels + tires just because tires seems to be the achilles heel.
    2017 Chevy Duramax 3500 LTZ DRW + 50 gal Transfer flow Aux Tank + Trailer Saver BD-5
    2020 Arctic Fox 32-5m with all bells and whistles.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Wood Chip View Post
      Sounds right for Northwood. I have the onboard generator up front so that make it heavy on the pin. With nothing in the tanks other than HW heater and modestly loaded for travel, I am at 16,400 lbs+.When I load my vespa on the back its at about 16,700 lbs. At Cat scales, I was at 12,500+ lbs on the axles so I'm in good shape there. I switched to 17.5 wheels + tires just because tires seems to be the achilles heel.
      Tell me, with the Generator what is your pin weight? BTW, the generator is diesel or propane? Are you happy with the Aux tank?
      2020 25W -> 2019 Tundra 1794

      Comment


      • #4
        PeterAi- I recall my pin weight as 3600-3700 lbs. Generator is propane which are not very efficient but great to use in a pinch. The transflow 50 gal Aux tank is a good tank. It turned my truck into 86 gal capacity.
        2017 Chevy Duramax 3500 LTZ DRW + 50 gal Transfer flow Aux Tank + Trailer Saver BD-5
        2020 Arctic Fox 32-5m with all bells and whistles.

        Comment


        • #5
          I think the payload issue with the 5th wheel line is that, for some reason, AF doesn’t adjust the maximum gross weight as the size and empty weight of the different models goes up. We have a 29-5T and, while the 35-5Z weighs 1400-1600lbs more than ours, AF still sets a gross weight at only 300lbs more than our unit......and 300lbs LESS than a 29-5K! I’m guessing that it is somehow related to axle or tire limits, with it varying slightly between 15.5k and 16k GVWR based on the particular models ratio of pin weight to axle weight. The 35–5Z is the only floorplan that seems to struggle with meaningful payload.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
          2019 SILVERADO 3500, crew cab standard bed, rear Sumo Spring bump stop replacements, B&W Companion.

          2020 ARCTIC FOX 29-5T, queen bed, dinette, 12cf fridge. 100w roof solar feeding factory battery bank, 880w roof solar plus 120W portable feeding secondary 300amp lithium battery bank via 3 Victron controllers, 2000w Samlex inverter with remote control wired through factory transfer switch.

          Comment


          • #6
            My assumption with anything on the NW website or their brochures is that it is for planning purposes only, and all plans change. Looking at the current specs for my trailer which was built last June, it shows a net carrying capacity of 2809 lbs. This would be without the weight of any options added.
            Here are the options that were added on my build sheet.
            SLIDE TRAY IN PASS THRU, KITCHEN SLIDE TOPPER, DINETTE SLIDE TOPPER, BEDROOM SLIDE TOPPER, ALUMAGUARD MAIN AWNING, 32" 110V LED SMART TV BEDROOM, 15K LOW PRO AIR CONDITIONER W/ DUCTING, 2ND NC (LOW PRO 13.SK) - REPLACES BDRM FAN VENT, 2" RECEIVER HITCH, SLOW RISE NIGHT SHADES, HOLDING TANK HEAT PADS (ALL TANKS), FIREPLACE, 5.5 ONAN GOLD LP GENERATOR, 170 WATT SOLAR PANEL, CROSS-STITCH SOFA 62", REAR VIEW CAMERA, GATEWAY ROUTER, TWO FOLDING CHAIRS AND TWO FIXED CHAIRS, WALL MOUNTED TABLE (FOUND ON 35-SZ)
            All this subtracts from the barebones unit although in this case swapping out the dinette is probably a wash.
            A few days ago, I actually looked a sticker on my door frame which I had previously ignored believing that it was a stock sticker from Lippert. This sticker showed what must be the actual net carrying capacity of the trailer is from NW based on the finished weight at the factory. 2809 dropped down to 1492. Kind of an eye opener. Since I haven't weighed the rig since I ran away from home last month, I'll be hitting the CAT scale tomorrow when I move.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5012.jpg Views:	0 Size:	342.6 KB ID:	309144
            1998 USAF retiree
            2020/21 Arctic Fox 32-5M
            2020 Chevrolet 3500HD - Diesel, 4x4, DRW, Transfer Flow 50 gal. aux tank, B&W Companion

            Comment


            • #7
              I remember seeing that sticker for the first time a couple of months ago. What a dumb place to put it. I thought it
              was a manufacturer's sticker for the door. At the very least it should have been on the latch side of the door frame.

              Mine says 2087 lbs.
              Kim + Betsy
              I do all my own stunts....just ask my wife.
              2017 AF 35-5Z
              2017 F450 Lariat

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by nwtraveler View Post
                I remember seeing that sticker for the first time a couple of months ago. What a dumb place to put it. I thought it
                was a manufacturer's sticker for the door. At the very least it should have been on the latch side of the door frame.

                Mine says 2087 lbs.
                Our 29-5T sticker listed at 3,742 lbs.

                Never paid much attention to it, since I'm more attentive to the GVWR on the VIN sticker.
                Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

                2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

                2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

                Comment


                • #9
                  My GVWR is still the stock 16000. It will be interesting to see where I'm at on weight when I visit the scale tomorrow for the first time since last fall. I have the added issue, more of a potential legal issue if weighed by a transportation official, by adding 600 lbs to the unit weight when I had the MORryde independent suspension installed over the winter. The IS "axles" are each 300 lbs heavier than the Dexters that were removed. So, I'm thinking that my imaginary GVWR is now 16,600.
                  1998 USAF retiree
                  2020/21 Arctic Fox 32-5M
                  2020 Chevrolet 3500HD - Diesel, 4x4, DRW, Transfer Flow 50 gal. aux tank, B&W Companion

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MikeZ View Post
                    My GVWR is still the stock 16000. It will be interesting to see where I'm at on weight when I visit the scale tomorrow for the first time since last fall. I have the added issue, more of a potential legal issue if weighed by a transportation official, by adding 600 lbs to the unit weight when I had the MORryde independent suspension installed over the winter. The IS "axles" are each 300 lbs heavier than the Dexters that were removed. So, I'm thinking that my imaginary GVWR is now 16,600.
                    Putting the 'citation issue' to the side, where your added axle weight might be an issue, is the maximum weight rating on the tires.

                    Might want to check the side wall max. rating for your tires after you weigh your fully-loaded trailer & tanks.
                    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

                    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

                    2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by RocklinDave View Post

                      Putting the 'citation issue' to the side, where your added axle weight might be an issue, is the maximum weight rating on the tires.

                      Might want to check the side wall max. rating for your tires after you weigh your fully-loaded trailer & tanks.
                      Good point. The stock GY G614 on mine is rated at 3750 lbs. spec sheet
                      1998 USAF retiree
                      2020/21 Arctic Fox 32-5M
                      2020 Chevrolet 3500HD - Diesel, 4x4, DRW, Transfer Flow 50 gal. aux tank, B&W Companion

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MikeZ View Post

                        Good point. The stock GY G614 on mine is rated at 3750 lbs. spec sheet
                        You look good.....

                        3750lb x 4 = 15,000lbs max. load on tires.

                        Subtract 20% off of your GVRW of 16,000lbs (3,200lbs = weight hitch is carrying) = 12,800 on your axles = 3,200lbs per tire.
                        Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

                        2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

                        2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X