2020 and 2021 29-5T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 and 2021 29-5T

We noticed that the 2020 29-5T is listed as being 8" longer than our 2018. We're wondering if this is just in the paperwork of if the actual length of the RV has changed which is what we are guessing based on the reduced carrying capacity. Assuming the RV is longer where does that show? Living area? Bedroom? Bath?

We also noticed the net carrying capacity has dropped some 1400# which we guess is because there is more weight to the RV itself due to increased length and that in order not to exceed the limits of axles the carrying capacity had to be reduced. Is that right?

[Edit: I may have been mistaken about this next paragraph, I think]:
    We also see that in 2021 Northwood is going to frameless windows. We don't, don't, don't, don't like those. Does anyone know if there will be an option for framed windows?

I see now that the frameless windows are for all "non-slideout applications". But does that mean only the windows on the slides but for all other windows? Or does it mean if the RV has any slides all windows will be of the framed type?

Thanks
    2018 Arctic Fox 29-5T, 780 watts rooftop solar, 4 LifeLine GPL-4CT 6 volt AGM batteries, 2800 watt Magnum inverter, 1000 watt Aims inverter, Progressive Power Management System, Hughes Autoformer, Sailun G rated tires, Centramatic wheel balancers

2017 Ford F350 XLT Diesel 4x4 Dually SuperCab, B&W Companion hitch

Wow. You are correct. I just looked at the brochures under Downloads and the late 2018 29-5T spec’d at 33’11” and the late 2019 displayed at 34’7”.
    There is already a thread about frameless windows but the consensus is people don’t like them but you won’t be offered the option.
    Tom & Lynn
    2018 F350 DRW 6.7 Powerstroke
    2019 AF 27-5L

Comment

Originally posted by txshirle View Post
      ...but you won't be offered the option...
      Agree.... I doubt NW would be willing to slow their assembly line, to fit special order windows & frames.
      Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Interesting. We have a 2020 and actually have a friend looking at a used 2016 as we speak. Lots of interior pictures and not sure where that extra length would be as everything looks identical. Not sure where you could take that length out of our floorplan and still have it work. Could it simply be in the profile of the front cap? That said, the specs on the 2016 in question have it weighing noticeably less than ours empty with same 16 gallon water heater and 12cf fridge. Can’t explain that either.......other than even on our 2020 I have seen pin weights on the Northwood website for our model vary by 300# based on what page of the website I am on......
        2019 SILVERADO 3500, crew cab standard bed, rear Sumo Spring bump stop replacements, B&W Companion.

2020 ARCTIC FOX 29-5T, queen bed, dinette, 12cf fridge. 100w roof solar feeding factory battery bank, 640w roof solar plus 120W portable feeding secondary 300amp lithium battery bank via 2 Victron controllers, 2000w Samlex inverter with remote control wired through factory transfer switch.

Comment

Using the brochures from the download section I created the table below to compare the "growth" of the 29-5T over the years. In looking at the floorplan drawings it appears the extra length from 2018 to 2019 is behind the main slide giving more room for the recliners. Personally I would have preferred smaller recliners.
          The really interesting thing is my old 2006 had the same layout/floorplan but was almost 5 ft. shorter and over 2 ft lower. Personally I wish Northwood would move more in that direction.

2007 Late 2018 Late 2019
          Dry Axle Wt 7,510 8,853 9,722
          Dry Hitch Wt 1,760 2,023 2,575
          Net Carry Capacity 3,730 4,824 3,203
          GVWR 13,000 15,700 15,500
          Ext. Length 30' 33'11" 34'7"
          Ext. Ht. 11'1" 13'5" 13'5"
          Tom & Lynn
          2018 F350 DRW 6.7 Powerstroke
          2019 AF 27-5L

Comment

We decided to reach out to Northwood to ask. I'll let you know if and when we hear back.
            2018 Arctic Fox 29-5T, 780 watts rooftop solar, 4 LifeLine GPL-4CT 6 volt AGM batteries, 2800 watt Magnum inverter, 1000 watt Aims inverter, Progressive Power Management System, Hughes Autoformer, Sailun G rated tires, Centramatic wheel balancers

Comment

I am so glad all of us have real windows vs these new useless frameless windows. I'm so disappointed in NW. Going cheap.
              2005 Dodge Diesel 3500: 5.9L Cummins Turbo-Diesel, 3.73 4WD 4SPD SRW, quad cab, long bed, B&W Companion Hitch. Rebuilt tranny, PakBrake Exhaust Brake, PakBrake Airbags w/ Wireless remote fill.

2017 Arctic Fox 27 5L: 4-Point Leveling System, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 30amp surge protector, Slide-Toppers, 2" Receiver, TPMS TST 507, ARP Controller, Sailun G rated tires.

Comment

OK, so here's what we heard from Northwood: "The 29-5T grew eight inches in order to better accommodate the rocker/recliner chairs in the rear of the unit, they seem to be getting bigger. This in turn added to the units [sic] weight and lowered the net carry capacity."

The NCC of the current 29-5T is listed at 3170# When we bought our 2018 the NCC was listed as 4824#. That's a decrease from the 2018 of 1654 pounds! Wow! WOW!

We think a better option would have been to hire somebody to make smaller chairs. Adding all that length and weight while reducing the carry capacity that much just to make room for a couple chairs? Huh? What? It's hard enough finding a campsite for a 34' trailer (53' with truck). 34' 7" only makes it that much more difficult.

I put together a little spreadsheet of item weights for necessities such as water and propane as well as some available options. It wouldn't be too difficult to consume that 3170# especially when you consider over 700# will be consumed by a full tank of water and propane. Batteries may add another 100#. Our solar system (with batteries) weighs about 500#. Toss in the optional washer/dryer, 2nd A/C and generator (none of which we have) and you've added another 540#. Then you've got your lawn chairs, grill, tools, clothes, kitchenware, electronics, food stores... You get the picture. Sure glad we bought when we did. Not sure we'd make with only 3170# NCC.

Comment

I miss the old days when you knew the length of a trailer based on the model number.
                  S.
                  2016 Arctic Fox 25W, 2004 Ford F250,

Comment

Wondering how 8” of extra length adds up to 1654#. Inquiring minds want to know.....8” of extra frame must be cast iron.......or gold....I will have to climb under ours and look!

On a more serious note a friend just purchased a pristine!!!!! 2016 29-5T this past week. Welcomed him to the fold! Specs/weights on his unit are markedly lighter than our 2020. Same layout/fridge/water heater, etc. Interior photos show it IDENTICAL to ours other than the bedroom closet which, on the 2016, is part full closet, part wardrobe ( jealous), and entry stairs........and our phatt ladder! Other than the 8” difference in length not sure where the huge difference in brochure weights comes from. What gives????
                    2019 SILVERADO 3500, crew cab standard bed, rear Sumo Spring bump stop replacements, B&W Companion.

2020 ARCTIC FOX 29-5T, queen bed, dinette, 12cf fridge. 100w roof solar feeding factory battery bank, 640w roof solar plus 120W portable feeding secondary 300amp lithium battery bank via 2 Victron controllers, 2000w Samlex inverter with remote control wired through factory transfer switch.

Comment

Originally posted by GaltsGulch View Post
                      Wondering how 8” of extra length adds up to 1654#. Inquiring minds want to know.....8” of extra frame must be cast iron.......or gold....I will have to climb under ours and look!

On a more serious note a friend just purchased a pristine!!!!! 2016 29-5T this past week. Welcomed him to the fold! Specs/weights on his unit are markedly lighter than our 2020. Same layout/fridge/water heater, etc. Interior photos show it IDENTICAL to ours other than the bedroom closet which, on the 2016, is part full closet, part wardrobe ( jealous), and entry stairs........and our phatt ladder! Other than the 8” difference in length not sure where the huge difference in brochure weights comes from. What gives????
                      We don't have the answers but my BF doesn't have a lot of faith in the numbers provided by Northwood. For example, assuming the same 7,000# axles why would the GVWR differ from year to year? It was listed at 15,700# in a brochure we downloaded in May of 2017 and 15,500 in another we downloaded in June of 2018 and the vehicle length, dry weight, etc remained the same. Now it's 15,800#.

It's hard to know how much weight would be added by lengthening the body 8". Lengthening the chassis as well could add some wight because it's heavy steel. The new recliners are probablyheavier recliners and maybe couch too. It's possible the new microwave and stove/cooktop add a few more pounds. Plus, isn't the 16 gallon water heater standard on your 2020? The 10 gallon used to be the standard. Neither the larger water heater or stove/microwave would seem likely to make much difference.

On a different note, based on the web site 3D tour of the 2020 it looks like part of the bedroom closet on the left may be walled off compared to our '18. If so, I wonder why they did that. It looks like the closet ends at about where the door is when its in the fully open position. On our '18 the closet goes further in to the left. (You can get an idea from the photo.) You can crawl in behind the door as you can in the right side of the closet. The carpet climbs the wall in the same way on the left side as it does the right. It doesn't look that way in the 3D tour of the 2020. Is that right?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Closet support IMG_8141 1200v.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	301475

Comment

Ok don't turn me in.. Here is my weight info for my 2020 29-5T with all my mods and my KTM530 motorcycle on the back.

2020 29-5T Posted weight on placard from Northwood
                        Hitch 2440
                        Unloaded 12580
                        Net 2920
                        Gross 15500

Actual weights as measured.
                        2007 GMC Dually 4X4 Long bed full fuel with 40 gal aux tank and fully loaded for travel.

Steer 4980
                        Drive 4440
                        Total 9420

Trailer weight. Full water and fully loaded for travel not connected to truck with Motorcycle on back.
                        Gross 16420

Pin weight 3280 = 20%

Attached Files
                        2020 29-5T
                        2007 GMC 3500 dually crew cab long bed 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Inconceivable View Post
                          Ok don't turn me in.. Here is my weight info for my 2020 29-5T with all my mods and my KTM530 motorcycle on the back.

2020 29-5T Posted weight on placard from Northwood
                          Hitch 2440
                          Unloaded 12580
                          Net 2920
                          Gross 15500

Actual weights as measured.
                          2007 GMC Dually 4X4 Long bed full fuel with 40 gal aux tank and fully loaded for travel.

Steer 4980
                          Drive 4440
                          Total 9420

Trailer weight. Full water and fully loaded for travel not connected to truck with Motorcycle on back.
                          Gross 16420

Pin weight 3280 = 20%

Ok so this makes me a little worried about the 29-5T and the CCC. I don't want to go over. Even if that motorcycle were 300lbs, you would be overweight. Would you consider your trailer to have a reasonable amount of food, clothes, and other stuff? What would you attribute so much weight to? I have not taken delivery yet and this really makes me pause. Yes I realize fully loaded water tank is nearly 700lbs, propane, washer/dryer if equipped etc. Do you have the W/D? I think I read that is only 120lbs though.
                          How about others? Have you weighed your 29-5T, and were you overweight? I'm not really sure how much stuff I have, but heavy items are a Honda 2000w generator, a davy crocket bbq grill, tools (which can be kept in the truck bed if necessary), of course pots/pans etc.
                          What are the axle weight ratings of a 29-5T? What is the weak point in the GVWR? I gather it is not the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by drjenkinson00 View Post

Ok so this makes me a little worried about the 29-5T and the CCC. I don't want to go over. Even if that motorcycle were 300lbs, you would be overweight. Would you consider your trailer to have a reasonable amount of food, clothes, and other stuff? What would you attribute so much weight to? I have not taken delivery yet and this really makes me pause. Yes I realize fully loaded water tank is nearly 700lbs, propane, washer/dryer if equipped etc. Do you have the W/D? I think I read that is only 120lbs though.
                            How about others? Have you weighed your 29-5T, and were you overweight? I'm not really sure how much stuff I have, but heavy items are a Honda 2000w generator, a davy crocket bbq grill, tools (which can be kept in the truck bed if necessary), of course pots/pans etc.
                            What are the axle weight ratings of a 29-5T? What is the weak point in the GVWR? I gather it is not the frame.
                            If you have seen my other posts I have installed 8000 lb axles and springs, disc brakes, trailair airbag suspension. I removed the lead acid batteries and installed 3 battle born batteries with victron multiplus inverter. I have a custom motorcycle rack with my KTM530 on the back. Also have heavy duty steel rims with Goodyear G114 tires.

I do not have a W/D.

When I weighed I had full water, motorcycle, 2 radmini folding bikes in pass through, 2 Honda 2000 generators in front compartment. Full up with food and clothes for about a week long trip.

my bike and rack guess 400 lbs
                            tires and suspension upgrades 400 lbs
                            e bikes 150 lbs
                            generators 120 lbs
                            inverter install guessing high of 150 lbs as I did remove the lead acid batteries and trays.

I did put a tv in bedroom but other than that it's food clothes pots pans and a reasonable amount of camping stuff. I have a tool kit and misc spare parts for break downs which I would guess weighs under 50 lbs.

Yup I was surprised at my weight. Been pairing down a little here and there to bring the number down...
                            Last edited by Inconceivable; 06-20-2020, 08:44 AM. Reason: Remembered rims/ tires added weight
                            2020 29-5T
                            2007 GMC 3500 dually crew cab long bed 4x4

Comment

What are the ratings of the stock axles on a 29-5T? For a GVWR of 15,800lbs, I would think that the stock axles have to support at least half this weight ( 7900 lbs each)?

Comment

Working...
                              X