Norcold opens itself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norcold opens itself?

The first time the fridge opened when we were on the road, we blamed ourself for not latching it all the way as we traveled.

This trip, the freezer and fridge have opened and spilled contents on two separate trips, both times we have ensured they were fully closed with an audible click before we left.

Model is a N7XL if that matters. Sick of throwing food away because the fridge opened and everything got warm.
    '19 Nash 26N (http://milesfromdone.com/category/rv/ - mods & projects)

'14 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 6.7 Cummins - Level, Airbags, few other things here-and-there.

Check the lower hinge on the fridge door, it might be bent and weak if not broken. Mine opened a few times on me and I noticed the hinge was bent. I found this thread and made the fix before the hinge broke. After installing the retrofit kit's reinforcement bracket my door is secure and has not opened on it's own.

Here is my post on that thread.
    Kurt, Leslie and Cooper
    Flagstaff, AZ
    2018 27-5L
    2018 RAM 2500 6.7L

Comment

I originally bought the hinge kit to get ahead of the issue to find out it wasn’t compatible with this model.

I’ll take it apart and check for beds. May need to get creative with a fix.

'14 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 6.7 Cummins - Level, Airbags, few other things here-and-there.

Comment

When new, our refrigerator also opened a couple of times. Removed the door & placed 2-3 washers on the bottom hinge pin to raise the door slightly. That solved the issue.

When we did the hinge retrofit (see FlagRS post), that kept the door raised to keep more contact against that latch. The latches can't be adjusted much, so the door has to be adjusted towards the latch.

*** Read the post and see if your refrigerator hinge needs the support. Once the OEM hinge is cracked / broken, it can't be repaired and a whole new door (expensive) needs to be purchased. There is no repair on the road, so you'll be without a refrigerator / freezer for a trip.

Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

You could trade your trailer in on a 32-5M. No way that fridge door will open when it is up against the island...at least on our 2016.
          2016 Arctic Fox 32-5M, 1,150 watt Solar Panels (5 @ 170, 2 @ 150), 2 Life Blue 200 Amp hr lithium batteries, Victron Blue Solar MPPT 150/85 Controller, MS2812 Magnum Pure Sine Inverter/Charger, 5.5 Onan LP Gen, 6pt leveling system, 2nd 13.5k A/C, Slide Toppers, Fireplace, King Bed, Central Vac. Hardwired Surge Guard Model 34560, rear view camera, clear entry door window,

2016 Ford F-450 Lariat. B&W Companion Hitch. Remax Bed Roll Cover, Bed Carpet.

Winter in Florida, traveling other seasons.

Comment

don't think we will trade in anytime soon. The 26n has been great for us. We are on day 5/1300 miles into our trip so far, just got to Yellowstone a few hours ago.

cleared most of the stuff out of the door before the last leg, and they stayed shut. I’ll look into shimming and supports when we are done, at this point I’m just happy for a simple solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbine View Post

don't think we will trade in anytime soon. The 26n has been great for us. We are on day 5/1300 miles into our trip so far, just got to Yellowstone a few hours ago.

cleared most of the stuff out of the door before the last leg, and they stayed shut. I’ll look into shimming and supports when we are done, at this point I’m just happy for a simple solution.
              Once you get the latch tweaked and dialed-in...it will serve you well.

Have a great time on your trip and safe travels.
              Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Working...
              X