Time to plan a trip!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to plan a trip!

Welp, the boy will be out of school here in a few months and the wife and I want to take our first "big trip" with our trailer. We've done several over-nights and long weekends, along with a week long trip late last year.

We're planning on taking 2 weeks off work, with the ultimate goal of going to Yellowstone for a few days.

So far, I've got the following route planned:
    Northern AZ > Zion National Park (spend that afternoon, and the following day there)
    Zion > Odgen UT (nothing planned here, just planning to spend the night)
    Odgen UT > Yellowstone (spending a total of 3 nights here)
    Yellowstone > Buffalo WY (or thereabouts - just an overnight stop)
    Buffalo WY > Mt Rushmore

From there, I haven't really planned much on the way back, and that's where I'm looking for input. Generally speaking, I don't like coming back the way I came, I prefer to see different stuff!

I'm trying not to drive more than 300-400 miles a day, I've got 4 days to make it back to northern AZ by my math. So, what's worth seeing between Mt Rushmore back to Northern AZ? I've thought about dropping down to Amarillo TX or ABQ - but we've been to both areas a few times and we wouldn't mind seeing something new.

We'll be traveling with our son (9) and our 2 dogs during the trip. So far, I figure it'll be about a 3,000 mile trip.
    '19 Nash 26N (http://milesfromdone.com/category/rv/ - mods & projects)

'14 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 6.7 Cummins - Level, Airbags, few other things here-and-there.

Cody WY https://centerofthewest.org/
    I have not been but Devils tower wy https://www.nps.gov/deto/index.htm
    23 min from Mt Rushmore https://crazyhorsememorial.org
    2018 GMC 3500 SB diesel with pull rite superglide
    2017 Arctic fox 27-5l 50Amp 5.5 Gen, 4 6 volt, 450W solar,ARPrv,michelin xps,built in surge suppressor, Tank Heat Pads and 4 Point Leveling System

My 27-5l Manual

Comment

I'm stopping at The Arches National Park on my next trip,either on my way north or my way home.
      2019 AF 27-5L, Onan, 4p auto level, Tire Tracker, bike rack, rear mount camera
      2020 Ram Long Horn LB diesel dually,60 gal aux, Curt 20K hitch

Comment

Mt. Rushmore, don't miss night lighting ceremony as well as daytime. KOA at gate to Devils Tower shows Close Encounters every night on big screen TV with tower in background, grandkids thought pretty neat. Needles highway and bison in Custer St Park
        2019 AF 811
        2019 RAM 3500 4X4 CC SRW 6.7 H.O. CUMMINS
        TORKLIFT TIEDOWNS & FASTGUNS
        AIRLIFT HD AIRBAGS

Comment

300-400 miles per travel day, may be ambitious on some of the two lane NPS / mountain roadways. Yellowstone can be a challenge during the summer, with "foreign rental car drivers" watching the animals, and not the roadway.

I suggest not driving through or near Yellowstone during darkness. Buffalo like to stand in the roadways and due to their matted dull coats, headlights don't reflect from the animals.

One pre-dawn early morning, we wanted to get an early start from West Yellowstone to visit Cody. We had to slow to 30mph most of the way (100 miles) due to close calls with Buffalo.

Make your reservations as soon as possible, campground sites fill up fast!

Have a great safe trip .
          Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Unfortunately, all the campgrounds within the park are full for the times we would be up there. Going to have to camp nearby and drive in, it's not the end of the world. I'm perfectly fine with driving in during the day to go see everything, even if it means having to deal with the traffic. Last time I was up there was during the winter about 14 years ago when the wife and I were dating still.

When we did our first-ever travel trailer experience (rental from outdoorsy) we ended up driving about 10 hours a day to get where we were going; now to be fair, a family emergency came up right before we departed and our entire route got changed to go back east to see family. In the end, we still really enjoyed everything which is why we ended up with our Nash. The rental was a Jayco. That 2 weeks told me that I'd never buy a Jayco... ugh.

I am curious how this "new" (to me) truck will handle the mountains. Going from my 2014 F-150 Ecoboost to the Ram 3500 Diesel, I'm really hoping that we don't run into power/cooling issues like we did. If we do, the wife might push me off a cliff
            '19 Nash 26N (http://milesfromdone.com/category/rv/ - mods & projects)

'14 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 6.7 Cummins - Level, Airbags, few other things here-and-there.

Comment

A 6yr old 1-ton diesel will have no problems towing your Nash -- and will be a joy to tow with.
              Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

On extended day travel trips, we try to keep our driving mileage at 200-300 miles per day. Trips are longer but our travel fatigue is greatly reduced for safer driving.
                2019 Dodge Laramie 4x4, 3500 CTD, SRW, crew cab, Reese 16K Slider hitch

2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L, 320w solar system, Trimetric 2030 Solar Charge Controller, Trimetric 2030 Battery Monitor, Magnum 400 inverter, TST 507 tire monitor
                2015 Arctic Fox 25-Y sold

Comment

On our longer days (more than 200 miles or so) we share driving about 50/50.That's a great help. Last year we did a part of your trip. We did Yellowstone, Cody, Rapid City. Between Cody and Rapid City we took a couple of nights near Little Big Horn and would highly recommend that. Cheyenne would fit your routing after Rushmore.
                  Bob P
                  2008 Ford F350 Super Cab 6.4 PSD 4x4
                  2018 AF 29-5T

Comment

I second Arches and the Moab area in general. On our short list for a soon trip, spent a few days there and want to spend a LOT more time....

-Kyle
                    2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
                    • 4 pt Auto Level / 15k Single AC / 50 Amp (no Gen)
                    • 3xFantastic Fans / 3xFantastic Covers
                    • Sofa with Air Bed / Dinette / Slow Rise Shades
                    • Factory 2" Receiver hitch
                    • MODS
                      • 395W Solar / Rear Camera / TPS / Flagpole Buddy / BMV-712 / Fridge Defend
                    2015 Chevy 3500 Dually LTZ
                    • Duramax / B&W Turnover w/Companion / 40 Gal transfer tank.

Comment

Well,

Not that this adds any new information to the discourse, but we would have to agree that Moab/Arches NP *and* Canyonlands NP were wonderful, and we felt that our 2 day stay there was far too short...

We have plans to revisit and dwell for 5 days (or more)...

Also don't forget Bryce...

Mikey
                      Mikey and Marivic Bodie (and Thor the Wonderdog Golden Retriever)

2016 F-250 CCSB SRW KR 6.7 L Diesel, B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection, RideRite Air Helper Springs, Pressure Pro Fx TPMS

2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L, 30 Amp, 15K a/c, 4 pt Leveling System, Booth w/Dream Dinette, WiFi Extender, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C

Comment

Heck - I want 5 days in Escalante by itself!
                        2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
                        • 4 pt Auto Level / 15k Single AC / 50 Amp (no Gen)
                        • 3xFantastic Fans / 3xFantastic Covers
                        • Sofa with Air Bed / Dinette / Slow Rise Shades
                        • Factory 2" Receiver hitch
                        • MODS
                          • 395W Solar / Rear Camera / TPS / Flagpole Buddy / BMV-712 / Fridge Defend
                        2015 Chevy 3500 Dually LTZ
                        • Duramax / B&W Turnover w/Companion / 40 Gal transfer tank.

Comment

Here's what we have planned for our summer starting out from Los Angeles
                          Coyote Canyon in AZ
                          Mesa Verde, CO
                          Durango, CO
                          Longmont, CO
                          Mount Rushmore, SD
                          Wyoming
                          Flaming Gorge
                          Valley of Fire in NV
                          Home

Doing this all in 2 weeks....3500 miles total with several 400-450 mile trips a day.....we did alot of the places you are doing back in 2017 for a two week trip...hit me up if you need any ideas...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	297988
                          There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

2006 Ford F-350 4X4 6.0 PSD LB, Garrett Turbo, Banks Intercooler, blue spring upgrade, coolant filter, BD EGR
                          2006 28KS Desert Fox

Comment

Originally posted by Chakara View Post
                            Heck - I want 5 days in Escalante by itself!
                            We spent a week there a couple of years ago. Can't say the cg in Escalante are more than dirt parking lots tho. But the area is great. Since then we've boosted our ability to boondock and that area is surrounded by good spots.

Dancehall rock, Escalante
                            Dancehall rock outside Escalante on Hole in the Rock Rd. About a 400 ft tall easy to climb rock. Has a LOT of history.
                            I

'm still something of a proponent of a harder push out the first few days of a very limited vacation, 400 or 450 mile days to get to the interesting stuff, then slow down. As for time I think you are doing what most new RVers do, pushing too hard the first time and trying to see too much. You cannot even begin to scratch YNP in less than 5 days. Pick a target and plan to spend as much time as possible at that spot. We've probably spent 5-6 weeks in YNP over the years.

And I'm going to be a naysayer when it comes to Rushmore, from informal polls about half of folks visiting are seriously disappointed. From where you can get to the carvings can be covered with your hand. Personally I'm convinced that most of the rest have just convinced themselves that they must like it because everyone else claims to. The crowds are massive, parking especially with a towed RV is a nightmare. There are a lot more things to do in that area, tho I'd swing by for a quick look if I was there otherwise. You can see almost as well from the highway. I'll confess I haven't seen the night display, last time we were there it was cold and raining all day.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	170449260.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	298001
                            Devils Tower is much more interesting but a quick look.
                            James and Cindy Kramer
                            Arctic Fox 25Y 2016-2012 Ford F350 4WD
                            Fulltime starting summer 2020

Comment

Like has been said Rushmore is neat and the night lighting was pretty cool but it's not something that takes a lot of time. Parking with truck camper was good but trailer I'm sure whole different deal. Lots of other things in Black Hills to see and do, Needles Hwy, bison in Custer St Park, Wind and Jewel caves, Crazy Horse not so much. Badlands would add another day. Did all that last year so this summer we can blast right on through there and spend more time in YNP and surrounding
                              2019 AF 811
                              2019 RAM 3500 4X4 CC SRW 6.7 H.O. CUMMINS
                              TORKLIFT TIEDOWNS & FASTGUNS
                              AIRLIFT HD AIRBAGS

Comment

Working...
                              X