Interest in a dedicated solar forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interest in a dedicated solar forum?

At the risk of being the new guy on the block suggesting a change, I will throw this out anyway. New to the AF world with a new 2020 29-5T we took delivery of in December. We are coming from the Lance world, also a small, quality manufacturer with a dedicated following. The Lance Owners Association has a great website with active members more than willing to help fellow owners so I was glad to find this site to go along with our new AF. I was deep into solar on our Lance and already have a stack of solar panels and Lithium batteries waiting for better weather for install. Since the AF brand, and one thing that attracted us to the AF as well, seems to be about off the grid/off the beaten path camping I assume there is interest in off the grid power/energy. Any interest in a forum on this site dedicated to solar/batteries/inverters? With our Lance I found it to be a great resource to have a dedicated place to discuss who was doing what in that arena, how they did it and what they were using for components, why, and where they were sourcing stuff. And, always helpful to see pictures of what they did and how they routed things and wired things. Not sure who decides the categories on this site but thought I'd throw it out for consideration.

There's a fair amount of interest here in off-grid power. A dedicated off-grid power forum would be fine by me, but I think most of us have been posting solar and inverter discussions to All Things Electronic. That works fine, except that it does tend to separate solar/inverter discussions from battery discussions.
    2017 Arctic Fox 25Y
    Chassis: Firestone Transforce HT LT225/75-16, Blue Ox SwayPro 1500, EezTire TPMS, BAL 28217 recessed tire carrier, 40K miles
    Electrical: EMS-HW30C surge protector, 800W solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron MPPT 100/50, Victron MultiPlus 3000, Fullriver 415 Ah AGM

2013 Silverado 2500HD LML Duramax, manual 4x4, crew cab, std box, added 2nd alternator and 2-gauge charge path, 130K miles

Comment

Originally posted by Yabbut View Post
      There's a fair amount of interest here in off-grid power. A dedicated off-grid power forum would be fine by me, but I think most of us have been posting solar and inverter discussions to All Things Electronic. That works fine, except that it does tend to separate solar/inverter discussions from battery discussions.
      That's where we have parked it at this time. The one disadvantage I see of splitting it out at this time is there is a large inventory of solar related posts in there now and it would create a yet another place to search for something that might be of interest to someone.
      Scott ORHusky
      2017 35-5Z AM Solar 610W system, Trav'ler sk-1000, Steady Fast stabilizers, Lippert Level Up 6 point hydraulic leveling,Cummins/Onan 5.5kw(SOLD)
      2016 3500 DRW 4X4, AISIN, 373,Crew Cab Granite Crystal, Laramie, B & W Companion.

Comment

I think it is an excellent idea to have a separate solar forum.
        2016 Arctic Fox 32-5M, 300 watt Zamp Solar Kit, 30 Amp controller, 2 T105 Trojan 6 volts, 5.5 Onan LP Generator, 6pt leveling system, 2nd 13.5k A/C, Slide Toppers, Fireplace, King Bed, Central Vac. Hardwired Surge Guard Model 34560, rear view camera, clear entry door window,

2016 Ford F-450 Lariat. B&W Companion Hitch. Remax Bed Roll Cover, Bed Carpet.

Winter in Florida, traveling during the other seasons.

Comment

If all the current solar posts could also be moved to the new solar forum, then it would be worth it. But I have no idea if it could be done or how time consuming that would be....
          2017 Wolf Creek 850
          BoondockersWelcome Host

Comment

I would love to see a separate section!
            2015 Arctic Fox 992 Camper, 215 Watt solar, built in generator, Victron Battery Monitor BMV-712, Two 6V AGM Batteries, on a 2015 Chevy 3500 Diesel 4 Door Long Bed SRW 4WD P/U w/ Transflow extended fuel tank, Forklift Tie Downs, FastGun Turnbuckles, Super Hitch & Truss, Stable Load Upper & Lower, Air Lift Wireless Compressor, Firestone Air Bags, TPMS 510 Tire Sensor System, Rexing V1 Gen3 Dash Camera, and Rear Vies Safety Wireless Backup Cameras RVS-2CAM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerndiver View Post
              If all the current solar posts could also be moved to the new solar forum, then it would be worth it. But I have no idea if it could be done or how time consuming that would be....
              Well, VERY time consuming is the easy answer... And yes it could be done, BUT.... It would take a person a ton of time to look through years of posts and transfer one at a time (after reading each and every post) to the new category. I don't have the time, Adam does not have the time, and I don't think any of our moderators have the time. If we start a new Solar addition, I think it would have to be stand alone from the time we start it, and not include posts from the past. Those posts could be found by using the search function, which is the same way you would find them now. I think this is a good idea going forward however,but Adam makes the final call...
              2006 Chevy HD2500 DuramaxLBZ-Allison ExCab Longbed LT3 4x4
              Line-X, A.R.E. CX Shell, KargoMaster Rack, Prodigy
              2005 Arctic Fox 22H, Yamaha EF3000iSEB
              Celia's Gourmet Foods
              Gourmet Barrel Aged Balsamic Vinegars & Infused Olive Oils

Comment

I PMed Adam yesterday and volunteered to be the "deputy" for a solar topic.
                I think it would be a good addition and I agree with Shotgun about moving past posts.

Housted
                2015 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L CTD Tow Rig, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch.
                2011 Arctic Fox 29-5T 2010 Arctic Fox 29-5T on permanent site in the mountains - RIP 2006 AF 29V :-(
                https://picasaweb.google.com/1012172...eat=directlink
                Interests: White water Kayaking,Photography,Shooting,Reloading
                Avatar:Eastern Sierra along US395

Comment

Originally posted by Housted View Post
                  "volunteered to be the "deputy" Housted"
                  Just can't get that target off your back can you?
                  2006 Chevy HD2500 DuramaxLBZ-Allison ExCab Longbed LT3 4x4
                  Line-X, A.R.E. CX Shell, KargoMaster Rack, Prodigy
                  2005 Arctic Fox 22H, Yamaha EF3000iSEB
                  Celia's Gourmet Foods
                  Gourmet Barrel Aged Balsamic Vinegars & Infused Olive Oils

Comment

If it would help the cause, I would be happy to be a “proof reader” to go through old posts and inform admins of ones that could/should be moved to the new forum...
                    2017 Wolf Creek 850
                    BoondockersWelcome Host

Comment

Originally posted by Shotgun View Post

Just can't get that target off your back can you?
                      Nope !!!
                      2015 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L CTD Tow Rig, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch.
                      2011 Arctic Fox 29-5T 2010 Arctic Fox 29-5T on permanent site in the mountains - RIP 2006 AF 29V :-(
                      https://picasaweb.google.com/1012172...eat=directlink
                      Interests: White water Kayaking,Photography,Shooting,Reloading
                      Avatar:Eastern Sierra along US395

Comment

IMHO, for a low volume forum like this, I think what we have is adequate. I mean most "electric" posts either relate to solar and or batteries....that solar conversation easily transitions to inverters and the 120V space.

I'm not a long time member here....but can easily keep up with the volume of new posts weekly. Searching is awkward and "catching up" is overwhelming and things will be missed...but that is the nature of forums.

IMHO

-Kyle
                        2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
                        • 4 pt Auto Level / 15k Single AC / 50 Amp (no Gen)
                        • 3xFantastic Fans / 3xFantastic Covers
                        • Sofa with Air Bed / Dinette / Slow Rise Shades
                        • Factory 2" Receiver hitch
                        • MODS
                          • 195W Solar / Rear Camera / TPS / Flagpole Buddy / BMV-712
                        2015 Chevy 3500 Dually LTZ
                        • Duramax / B&W Turnover w/Companion / 40 Gal transfer tank.

Comment

I'm fine either way, but look forward to more discussion on the solar/battery maintenance topics. Adding solar and understanding how to get the most out of our batteries while we are boondocking is probably close to the top of our list for 2020, along with our ongoing project of waterproofing Ruby.

A big "thank you" to those offering to take on creating a new subforum.
                          Lisa and Bill (first-time trailer and truck owners, but long-time campers)

2004 Nash 19B - Progressive EMS-HW30C, Maxxis tires (LT), 2 new propane tanks, (2) 6-v golf cart batteries, TST 507 TPMS
                          2011 Ram 1500 - Hemi with 5.7

Comment

Originally posted by GaltsGulch View Post
                            At the risk of being the new guy on the block suggesting a change, I will throw this out anyway. New to the AF world with a new 2020 29-5T we took delivery of in December. We are coming from the Lance world, also a small, quality manufacturer with a dedicated following. The Lance Owners Association has a great website with active members more than willing to help fellow owners so I was glad to find this site to go along with our new AF. I was deep into solar on our Lance and already have a stack of solar panels and Lithium batteries waiting for better weather for install. Since the AF brand, and one thing that attracted us to the AF as well, seems to be about off the grid/off the beaten path camping I assume there is interest in off the grid power/energy. Any interest in a forum on this site dedicated to solar/batteries/inverters? With our Lance I found it to be a great resource to have a dedicated place to discuss who was doing what in that arena, how they did it and what they were using for components, why, and where they were sourcing stuff. And, always helpful to see pictures of what they did and how they routed things and wired things. Not sure who decides the categories on this site but thought I'd throw it out for consideration.
                            Welcome!

I hope you find this forum as helpful as we have. As new trailer owners who accidentally acquired a "project" trailer, we have found the folks here to be incredibly helpful. They've helped us save a bunch of money and heartache. Of course, they've also helped us spend the savings on very cool and essential equipment, but I'll forgive them for that.
                            Lisa and Bill (first-time trailer and truck owners, but long-time campers)

2004 Nash 19B - Progressive EMS-HW30C, Maxxis tires (LT), 2 new propane tanks, (2) 6-v golf cart batteries, TST 507 TPMS
                            2011 Ram 1500 - Hemi with 5.7

Comment

I do like working with solar but I agree that the forum posting level makes it easy enough to scan everything that is going on here.

I participate in this site because of the Northwood specific customers who are here. Some of my general solar, battery, inverter and other power related discussions get a larger participation at more active general sites.

I do appreciate the mostly polite nature of the forum discussions here. Other less moderated sites get a bit more out of control.
                              GMC 2500HD SLT Double Cab 2017 - Arctic Fox 22G 2018

Comment

Working...
                              X