2019 Nash 26N - 9 months later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Nash 26N - 9 months later

Well, we're 9 months into ownership at this point. Being our first Trailer/RV we've had a lot to learn in these 9 months.....

-RV Dealership parts departments suck. Prices are insanely high; I over-spent by hundreds on accessories that we needed for our first camp vs what I could have paid on amazon for the exact same part.
    -Still very happy with our Nash. It's not perfect, but it seems to be a lot more solid than other RV's that we've walked through. Even though we're very happy with our trailer, we still go check out other RVs whenever there is a show in town. I tend to get a few ideas for stuff that I'd like to do when we hit the shows.
    -Winterization was a LOT easier than I was expecting. The only tricky part was finding the hot water heater bypass valve; big shout out to Will for helping me find that! Wasted a gallon of antifreeze by missing that. Whoops.

The unfortunate:
    -the wood in the trailer dings/scratches easily. Our dog squeezed in between my leg and a cabinet and his leather caller dinged the corner. Fixable, but annoying.
    -Tail light falling off!!!! Just found this little gem today. Was working on mounting our satellite dish to the roof and glanced down as I was climbing up; I noticed a gap between the rear housing of the light and the trailer body. When I opened it up, I found 2 screws (on the same side) backed out quite a bit. When I attempted to tighten them down, I found them both stripped. Sigh, guess I'll fix that tomorrow
    -black trim discoloration. While I realize the trailer isn't stored indoors (we store it outside for now), I'm disappointed with how fast the black trim around windows, doors, the outdoor bluetooth speaker, etc has faded. Lots of oxidation. Cleanable, but annoying. My 2014 truck lives outdoors and doesn't have anywhere near the level of oxidation on it's plastic trim that the trailer has.
    -Sealant - Maybe I was overly optimistic as a new/first time owner... but I expected the sealant around the windows, doors, etc to last more than a year. Add another job to the list.
    -wiring in the entertainment cabinet. While it's not a fire hazard or anything even remotely like that; whomever does their electrical work defiantly doesn't have the attention to detail that I have when it comes to running wire. One of my future projects is to open that area up and clean it up and add connections for some of my devices as I'm hard-wiring as much as I can to 12V to avoid the wall-warts/120v use. I'm trying to have as much equipment usable as possible without hookups.
    -I was using the generator compartment (sheet metal box as we don't have the generator) to store our sewer hose, and a flushing hose (not used for our water-fill system). It's falling apart from the 2 hoses being inside of it. Now that I've gotten used to welding stuff, I'll weld some metal to re-enforce the box as there isn't much there to begin with.
    -CH751 locks. I replaced all the locks on the trailer (door and cabinet) with an aftermarket set that all uses the same key. Seems like for about $10/lock they could have included locks that all used the same key. I can't think of many end-users that enjoy sharing a key with just about every other trailer out there. I feel better knowing that my accessories/tools are (more) secure in the trailer; as secure as you can get locked behind fiberglass and foam.

Future Projects:
    -Now that I have a 1 Ton truck (we started with a F150), I want to work on building a bigger battery box. I'll weld up a metal box that's lockable to store a few batteries and some of my leveling blocks. It'll be well vented so that I don't run into issues. Torque lift makes a box that I like, but I feel like I can build exactly what I want for less than they charge.
    -Hard wiring my Mopeka Propane level sensors. I've been very disappointed with the battery life in the device, however I really like how it works. Rather than replace the CR2032 batteries every trip, I'm going to make "dummy batteries" using copper disks with leads soldered to them, and a plastic spacer in the middle (I'll 3D print a few). The leads will go to a quick-disconnect/waterproof connector outside of the sensor. I picked up a 12v to 3v step down module that'll connect to the sensors via the quick disconnects. While I'll have the wires to navigate around, I'll never have to worry about a sensor battery wearing down and causing a mis-reading.
    -wireless HDMI from entertainment TV to bedroom TV. We have an Kindle Fire-Stick, Satellite TV, and blu-ray player that I would like to share between the rooms. The IOGear system that I'm going to use allows you to transmit one signal to one TV while the other TV gets either the same or different signal; pretty neat.

'19 Nash 26N (http://milesfromdone.com/category/rv/ - mods & projects)

'14 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 6.7 Cummins - Level, Airbags, few other things here-and-there.

Oh, forgot to mention one of the most concerning things that happened.

Today I was making some brackets to hold my satellite dish to the roof and accidentally rotated one of the posts that holds up the luggage rack. While I was annoyed that I broke the seal on the post (I'll fix that tomorrow), I was REALLY surprised by the amount of water that came running OUT OF THE LUGGAGE RACK!?!?

Guess I've got a LOT more sealing to do. Sigh.

'14 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 6.7 Cummins - Level, Airbags, few other things here-and-there.

Comment

You might want to check this out for your sewer hose.
      search this. RV Sewer Hose Storage - "Drawer".

LaDawna & Roger
      2016 Snow River 246RKS
      2016 High Country 3500 HD Crew Cab LB
      Durmax 6.6/ Allison 4X4

Comment

THANK YOU for reminding me about the water in the luggage rack problem. I saw this thread in the past but forgot about it. Might help ya.....

https://www.nroa2003.com/forum/forum...under-caulking
        2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
        • 4 pt Auto Level / 15k Single AC / 50 Amp (no Gen)
        • 3xFantastic Fans / 3xFantastic Covers
        • Sofa with Air Bed / Dinette / Slow Rise Shades
        • Factory 2" Receiver hitch
        • MODS
          • 195W Solar / Rear Camera / TPS / Flagpole Buddy / BMV-712
        2015 Chevy 3500 Dually LTZ
        • Duramax / B&W Turnover w/Companion / 40 Gal transfer tank.

Comment

The post about the luggage rack is very timely. I happened to be up on the roof yesterday installing some roof vent covers and got to thinking about the rack and how it was completely useless to us. I never thought about the possibility that it might have water in it. I guess I need to crawl back up there and take a look.

As to the sewage hose holder, I use a diy holder made of plastic fence post and attached under the trailer. It works great and holds 2 full lengths of hose.
          Dave and Linda
          Albany, Oregon

2002 Chevy Silverado with Duramax engine and Allison tranny.
          2016 Arctic Fox 32A

Comment

Well, I finally got around to hard-wiring the mopeka propane tank leveling system. Rather than a long winded post, for those that are interested in the modification, here's a link detailing what I did: http://www.milesfromdone.com/2020/02...modifications/
            I really like the Mopeka Propane Tank monitoring system. It’s really handy to have an idea of how much propane is left in each tank when we’re camping -…

Comment

Thanks for that summary on your site! I considered this monitoring system a year or so ago and decided it had too many 1 star reviews on Amazon to chance it. I took another look tonight and it seems like at least some of the one star reviews are a result of the issue you ingeniously fixed with your modification. I may reconsider this for our 26N.
              2001 F-350 V-10 4X4 CC 76,000 miles. Larger Transmission Cooler, Rear View Camera on 26N, ScanGauge.
              2018 Nash 26N. 900W Solar, 2nd Bathroom Medicine Cabinet, Progressive Industries EMS, Two Recliners and Kitchen Counter Wall,
              2015 Nash 17K Previous

Comment

Originally posted by Will View Post
                Thanks for that summary on your site! I considered this monitoring system a year or so ago and decided it had too many 1 star reviews on Amazon to chance it. I took another look tonight and it seems like at least some of the one star reviews are a result of the issue you ingeniously fixed with your modification. I may reconsider this for our 26N.
                I have seen a number of write ups where people are really happy with this monitor. I certainly don't doubt them.

I would probably give it 2.5 stars. Our first issue was the little feet that supported the propane tank broke. They have since gone with some beefier feet that seem to work well. When I called they immediately sent them to me no charge. Great customer service. Several times I have had connectivity issues, which usually resulted from dead batteries. Seems like we need to replace the batteries twice a season. You also have to be really careful when removing and replacing the tanks so the monitor on the bottom of the tank does not fall off. We don't have the bluetooth version but a display in the trailer. That is handy, but I don't always put a lot of faith into it.
                2016 Arctic Fox 32-5M, 300 watt Zamp Solar Kit, 30 Amp controller, 2 T105 Trojan 6 volts, 5.5 Onan LP Generator, 6pt leveling system, 2nd 13.5k A/C, Slide Toppers, Fireplace, King Bed, Central Vac. Hardwired Surge Guard Model 34560, rear view camera, clear entry door window,

2016 Ford F-450 Lariat. B&W Companion Hitch. Remax Bed Roll Cover, Bed Carpet.

Winter in Florida, traveling during the other seasons.

Comment

Working...
                X