Please Visit Our Sponsors

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toilet smell with Fantastic fan on

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Toilet smell with Fantastic fan on

    If we run either of our DC fans with all the windows closed, we will get treated to some toilet smell. So... we need to make sure a window is open if we run a fan. This makes me think that when we create a negative pressure inside, it draws air from the black tank. Our toilet flush valve is closed with a half inch of water over it. This makes me think that the seal of the toilet to the floor is where air is being drawn from. I'm thinking of putting a bead of silicone around the base of the toilet. Anybody experience this or have any other ideas?
    Steve and Shelley. Minnesota
    2017 RAM 3500 LLH CC 4x4 LB DRW 6.7ctd Aisin 4.10 Air Level aka Shrek
    2018 AF 27-5L, HW50C ems, Maxxis Tires, TST 507, dual AC, tank heaters, Rear Camera, Toppers, 640w Solar, Victron MP 3000 Inverter, MPPT 150/85 solar charge controller, CCGX Color Monitor,BMV702 Battery Monitor
    , 440AH Lifeline AGM, aka Fiona

  • #2
    I wonder if it isn't gray tank you're smelling. Those air admittance valves that are near the sink can allow odors back into the rig. Double check to see if they are screwed on tight to the vent line under the sinks in kitchen and bathroom. If they are tight, you can cover them with a plastic bag and rubber band and see if the smell goes away. Could just be a bad air admittance valve if the bag trick works.
    2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali 4x4 Diesel
    2017 Arctic Fox 22G.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'd guess Hammster is correct. We keep the plastic bag with the rubber band over ours all the time. Haven't had a drainage problem and less order. When we use the fans, we are trying to create air movement, not negative pressure. We often use one as in and the other as out. I don't think the silicone would be helpful.
      Ken and Rita Madsen
      2018 GMC 3500 Duramax, 2016 27-5L

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MtCamper View Post
        ...When we use the fans, we are trying to create air movement, not negative pressure. We often use one as in and the other as out.
        This is what we do too. Our bathroom fan only runs in the exhaust direction so we have that one blowing out and the one over the bed bringing air in.

        MnSteve, note that we also unclamp the stove vent to allow a little bit more airflow in and out of the trailer. We don't run the stove vent fan unless we are cooking but do leave the vent unclamped while we are camped.

        2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali 4x4 Diesel
        2017 Arctic Fox 22G.

        Comment


        • #5
          We have the same problem with ours most noticeable in warm weather. I first attributed it to the p-trap water getting splashed out while driving but it happens when the Fox is in the shop also. I removed the check valve under the sink to inspect it but it visually looked ok. It is on my list to replace it and see if it helps but it got overlooked and will have to address it. Thank you for the reminder.
          I always wondered why they didn't just vent it through the large gap behind the medicine cabinet. In a stick and brick home several can be vented together.
          Peter and Fran
          2016 AF 27-5L
          , 50AMP, 4pt leveling, 10 Cu Ft Refrigerator, 15K AC + bedroom AC, Onan 5.5 generator, Progressive Dynamics EMSHW50C, Slide Toppers, TST 507 flow through with repeater, Cadet digital AC heater, 52" ceiling fan LED light, Dirt Devil CV1500 Central Vacuum, water filter system, 480 watt solar charger, 440 AH AGM battery bank, Magnum MS2012 2000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter/charger, TorkLift steps, SRE4000, 17.5" Alcoa rims, 7k axles


          2017 F-450 Super Duty, B&W Companion

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Fox will Travel View Post
            I always wondered why they didn't just vent it through the large gap behind the medicine cabinet. In a stick and brick home several can be vented together.
            $$$

            2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali 4x4 Diesel
            2017 Arctic Fox 22G.

            Comment


            • #7
              Maybe $$$ or maybe roof penetrations. To tie the sinks into existing vents may be just too hard to route. Like I said, I've had a baggie rubber banded to mine since forever. The holding tanks are vented and the sinks seem to drain well as is. I'm not sure why they put the admittance vents in unless it is some code or another. Then again there seems to be no codes so who knows. The baggies seemed to reduce the frequency of odor, but we still get an occasional whiff.
              Ken and Rita Madsen
              2018 GMC 3500 Duramax, 2016 27-5L

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MtCamper View Post
                Maybe $$$ or maybe roof penetrations. To tie the sinks into existing vents may be just too hard to route.
                So, to save money...

                The vents are there so there is air behind water. Meaning air behind the water flowing out of the P-Trap into the tank. There likely is a code requirement for that. The vent for the holding tank is on the wrong side of that equation.

                2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali 4x4 Diesel
                2017 Arctic Fox 22G.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mnSteve View Post
                  If we run either of our DC fans with all the windows closed, we will get treated to some toilet smell. So... we need to make sure a window is open if we run a fan. This makes me think that when we create a negative pressure inside, it draws air from the black tank. Our toilet flush valve is closed with a half inch of water over it. This makes me think that the seal of the toilet to the floor is where air is being drawn from. I'm thinking of putting a bead of silicone around the base of the toilet. Anybody experience this or have any other ideas?
                  Had the same issue when we first got our rig. With the exhaust fan on high the the bathroom
                  doors closed I sprayed windex (or anything else that would bubble) around the base of the
                  toilet, and sure enough, bubbles. I tightened the two mounting bolts and haven't had a problem
                  since.

                  Recently we began smelling odors when running either exhaust fan and finally chased it down
                  to the W/D drain. Hadn't used it in a while and it had dried out. Ran one cycle on the W/D and
                  that stopped the odor.
                  Kim + Betsy
                  I do all my own stunts....just ask my wife.
                  2017 AF 35-5Z
                  2017 F450 Lariat

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X