2019 Nash 25C Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Nash 25C Newbie

First of all thanks for adding me to the forum! I've enjoyed reading through the posts and have found a lot of useful technical information already..

I've just bought a 2019 Northwood Nash 25C, and am headed across country, from Phoenix, AZ to Fredericksburg, VA. I'm thinking of skirting the Gulf Coast along the way, and am definitely looking for route suggestions. I have a big road atlas here and Next Exit, just joined PA, and have been perusing the free camping websites. Currently I'm holed up for a few days at a nice little place called Oxbow just outside Payson, AZ. I gotta say I never appreciated just how steep the road is up AZ-47. My truck got 7.8 mpg average for the trip! I hope to improve upon that number throughout the trip

I have two dogs with me, Titan, a Presa Canario who thinks he's a wee lap dog, and Sweetie Pea, an APBT who thinks she's a mighty lioness. They are adapting well, although not taking to the bunk bed quite as much as I'd like. They've taken over the dinette and I'm guessing I'll end up in the bunk. j/k

So far the Nash is holding up well and surprisingly comfortable. But it does have a few bugs to work out, as I suppose any new rig might. Firstly, the water pump seems to be sucking air. Any time I run a faucet, hot water comes out first, then it spits and sputters. If I don't wait for that to finish the pump just runs and runs forever until I "burp" it. Secondly, whoever put in the cabinets stripped one of the screws in the cupboard above the sink. It was stripped so badly I had to just remove the cabinet door. I know it's a little thing so I'm wondering who did it, should I report it and and is it normal? It just seems a disappointing mistake to make, and something that surely should have been caught in QC. That's why they invented torquing ratchets!

Otherwise so far so good. My anti-sway hitch seems to be doing its job, with only a little sway going down a 7% grade in the wind. My Tekonsha Prodigy P3 is set at Boost 1 and output voltage 7. I think it could be set a little higher - I know that's a question for another forum, but just curious what the experts think.

Anyway, thanks again and if anyone has any route suggestions or favorite places along the way I'd love to hear it!

My setup: https://www.instagram.com/p/B4BEh9UJ5sT/
    Travel companions: https://www.instagram.com/p/B4DBn_jJ4Fj/
    Joseph Brown
    2019 Northwood Nash 25C
    2005 Chevy Silverado SS, AWD. Baer brakes, Hotchkis Anti-Sway Bars & Air Bags, Baer Extreme+ front & Alumasport rear brakes, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger.

In the non-winter months, we've traveled across country using I-40 & I-81. In the winter months where ice / snow is possible, we travel along I-10.

I don't know your travel dates, but traveling with a RV trailer in ice / snow should be avoided if possible.

Make sure you have enough water in your fresh tank as not to draw air into your pump. Even a tank that's 1/3 full on a steep incline, can draw air due to the water line end being in the dry end of the fresh tank. A loose water line connection / 'winterization valve' not fully closed, could also be a cause of air intrusion, but you would have probably noticed a leak somewhere in / under your trailer. If you have an outside shower, make sure both shower valves are in the off position.

We get sputtering at the start of a season / when refilling a empty tank. Just open all the cold water faucets for a minutes, then the hot water faucets. That clears our lines of air. We also bleed the hot water tank when filling, using the relief valve - just make sure the water isn't hot!

For your stripped screw, those screws with small threads are easy to strip in the wood hole. Try the old toothpick trick in the hole, then insert the screw. A little Elmer's white wood glue on the toothpick will also work.
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Thanks! I'm definitely trying to avoid ice, and high country generally on this trip. I-10 is starting to look a lot more attractive. Great advice about the water, I hadn't thought to check the outside shower. I will go through it and make sure everything's tight.

Someone here at the RV park had a good idea about the cabinet hinges. He suggested getting slightly longer screws with matching heads and putting a nut and washer on the backside. I might try that.
      Joseph Brown
      2019 Northwood Nash 25C
      2005 Chevy Silverado SS, AWD. Baer brakes, Hotchkis Anti-Sway Bars & Air Bags, Baer Extreme+ front & Alumasport rear brakes, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger.

Comment

Originally posted by j_d_b_63 View Post
        Thanks! I'm definitely trying to avoid ice, and high country generally on this trip. I-10 is starting to look a lot more attractive. Great advice about the water, I hadn't thought to check the outside shower. I will go through it and make sure everything's tight.

Someone here at the RV park had a good idea about the cabinet hinges. He suggested getting slightly longer screws with matching heads and putting a nut and washer on the backside. I might try that.
        Other members have posted over the years, that having both the outside shower valves accidentally in the 'on' position, will allow hot & cold water to mix and causing other issues with the interior plumbing.

I'm sure others will reply about the 'winterization valves', since we've never winterized, due to our storage location.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Follow the suggestions in Dave's first post. His advise is spot on. After you have burped the hot tank with the relief valve and done the toothpicks, post back if you still have issues. I wouldn't bolt the hinges until you need to. Toothpicks first, then bigger diameter screw then longer screw then bolts. We're still on toothpicks and original screws. A wooden match stick is an goos substitute. Your brake control will change over time so it's hard to say what position yours should be in. Just keep fiddling with it as needed. Undoubtedly you will have more issues over time. Enjoy your Nash.
          Ken and Rita Madsen
          2018 GMC 3500 Duramax, 2016 27-5L

Comment

Well the server won't let me upload images (Missing PHP temporary folder; check upload_tmp_dir) but I did figure out the air leak problem with the water pump.

I got under the sink and ran the water, and saw that the air bubbles were visible in the clear coupler on the valve to the anti-freeze uptake line. So it HAD to be before that valve. But there's nothing in front of that other than the tank. The tank is nearly full, so it had to be in the line.

Next, I noticed that when I shut off the water there was a very high pitched squeal - almost imperceptible - coming from somewhere underneath there. I sqeezed my hand around the line that heads from the antifreeze uptake valve into the tank, and sure enough, the squeal disappeared. So I wrapped it in duct tape and voila, problem solved!
            Joseph Brown
            2019 Northwood Nash 25C

Comment

I had more than a few stripped screws. On some the hole was bigger and a wooden match stick was the solution.
              2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
              2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
              2018 Arctic Fox 29L; Traded in
              *2001 Arctic Fox 29V; Sold
              South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

x2 on the match sticks and glue. I repaired more than a dozen stripped screws
                when we first got our rig. I'd check the tightness on your water connections as
                well as checking all electrical connections. Check wires to your breakers and
                any other main connections. I had a loose neutral connection in an earlier SOB
                that caused a lot of damage to electronic equipment.
                Kim + Betsy
                I do all my own stunts....just ask my wife.
                2017 AF 35-5Z
                2017 F450 Lariat

Comment

Originally posted by nwtraveler View Post
                  x2 on the match sticks and glue. I repaired more than a dozen stripped screws
                  when we first got our rig. I'd check the tightness on your water connections as
                  well as checking all electrical connections. Check wires to your breakers and
                  any other main connections. I had a loose neutral connection in an earlier SOB
                  that caused a lot of damage to electronic equipment.
                  That's nuts! It's like if Mercedes didn't bother attaching their dashboard properly. The water hoses' connections are actually crimped into place, they don't seem to be adjustable, but everything's tight anyway. No more air leaks and the cold water's cold now I'll go thru the electrical tomorrow, thanks for the advice!
                  Joseph Brown
                  2019 Northwood Nash 25C

Comment

Quick shout out for the stripped screws solution! I used short cooking skewers I found in the cooking section at Walmart, which are a bit fatter than toothpicks, and a little tube of Gorilla Glue, which is nice because it expands. I just left the skewers in place overnight and snipped them off in the morning. It made a really solid plug.

I found another problem that's a little disconcerning: the USB ports are putting out too much voltage. I'd plugged in my smartphone and a while later noticed a loud transformer buzz coming from my phone! I'd never heard anything like it, and quickly unplugged the phone, and just switched to a 110 outlet and my regular charger. Problem went away. I did some research and found mention of a similar problem with another brand: ​https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29434062.cfm

I really feel this is something I should pursue as a warranty issue. Does anybody have advice on how to do that? Just write or call them? I'm not sure how they'd fix it, I guess is the question.

Thanks again!
                    Joseph Brown
                    2019 Northwood Nash 25C

Comment

Yikes - a phone is an expensive thing to "fry". I replaced the USB's in the bedroom with a 12v plug so I can use my own chargers. The built in one would not fast charge my Pixel phones. Now if a new faster charging tech comes out I can just buy a new 12v adapter and stay up to date.

2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
                      • 4 pt Auto Level / 15k Single AC / 50 Amp (no Gen)
                      • 3xFantastic Fans / 3xFantastic Covers
                      • Sofa with Air Bed / Dinette / Slow Rise Shades
                      • Factory 2" Receiver hitch
                      • MODS
                        • 195W Solar / Rear Camera / TPS / Flagpole Buddy / BMV-712
                      2015 Chevy 3500 Dually LTZ
                      • Duramax / B&W Turnover w/Companion / 40 Gal transfer tank.

Comment

I'm definitely going to get Northwood to fix the USB ports under warranty. Of course, that's a major hassle, I'm not even sure what the process is.

I posted a question about it on the Facebook group called "RV Diagnostics" and people there had some good ideas. The voltage should be 4.4 - 5.5, with 5.0 "nominal". You can get a USB multimeter to check it on Amazon or at Lowes etc..
                        Joseph Brown
                        2019 Northwood Nash 25C

Comment

Originally posted by j_d_b_63 View Post
                          I'm definitely going to get Northwood to fix the USB ports under warranty. Of course, that's a major hassle, I'm not even sure what the process is.

I posted a question about it on the Facebook group called "RV Diagnostics" and people there had some good ideas. The voltage should be 4.4 - 5.5, with 5.0 "nominal". You can get a USB multimeter to check it on Amazon or at Lowes etc..
                          I think they prefer you go through your dealer.

Interesting I had never looked at a "USB multimeter" as I would have cut up a USB cable and a standard multimeter to find out what the voltage was.
                          Looks like they provide Current and some provide Capacity, Energy and Resistance readings as well.
                          https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...T900/305191820
                          2018 GMC 3500 SB diesel
                          2017 Arctic fox 27-5l 50Amp 5.5 Gen, 4 6 volt, 450W solar,ARPrv,michelin xps,built in surge suppressor, Tank Heat Pads and 4 Point Leveling System

My 27-5l Manual

Comment

Originally posted by Art View Post

I think they prefer you go through your dealer.
                            Phoenix is in the wrong direction, and I won't trust them anyway. Among other things I just realized they sold me an anti-sway hitch with stripped threads on the lifting lever. The service guy (heavily tattooed with scabs all over his face) knew exactly what he was doing too. He showed me how to lift the sway bars using only half the lever. I couldn't figure out why the lever was so short!
                            Joseph Brown
                            2019 Northwood Nash 25C

Comment

Call Northwood and tell them you are traveling on the road away from your dealer, and you need that USB port replaced for over-voltage 'safety reasons'.

Many members have had warranty repairs done by non-Northwood dealers, while on the road and/or live far away from a NW dealer. Call Northwood and get pre-approval for a non-dealer warranty repair.

I don't know which hitch you have, but I would also call that manufacturer and see if you can get a new lifting lever under warranty.

Even after our trailer was out of warranty, our faucet was replaced (lifetime warranty), the ceiling fan had a recall, our LED porch light was replaced (lifetime warranty) and all of our ceiling LED puck-lights were replaced from a recall.

In many cases, Northwood uses major manufacturer appliances / parts, and the manufacturers have great customer service departments.

Comment

Working...
                              X