Discuss DEF...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ste & Bre View Post
    When the emissions are deleted they have to add a chip that tells the engine computer everything is still there and working as it is supposed to do. Many of those chips are also set to increase horsepower. Is the increased performance from the delete or from the chip?
    A little of both. My “chip” has 5 shift on the fly settings, the first is stock, the second adds 30hp over stock, the third ads 60hp over stock, the fourth 90 over etc, I usually run stock when empty and 30 over when hauling.

Deleting meant taking off slightly more than 200lbs of metal from the exhaust system. So, as we all know, weight costs you mpg. Then, the “extra” hp lets the engine work better under load. I also save $ by not buying DEF anymore. All in all, 2mpg gain, engine longevity and lower costs are worth it to me. You might be surprised how many modern diesels are deleted and tuned on the road today. It’s like discussing what engine oil to use, everyone has a different opinion!
    2017 Wolf Creek 850
    BoondockersWelcome Host

Comment

No really wouldn’t be surprised how many are deleted. Same type of discussion when it comes to tractors and combines.
      Steve & Brenda and Our Cocker Spaniel Bella
      2019 RAM Diesel Laramie Crew cab 4x4
      2017 Arctic Fox 25Y, Blue Ox Sway Pro, Lippert Center Point Suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerndiver View Post

FWIW, i got 2 mpg more after deleting and tuning my 2016 diesel. Also, something i didn’t see brought up, or maybe I missed it... When the DPF burns out and needs replacing, hold onto your wallet!
        A close friend had problems with the diesel particulate filter, the engine threw a CEL and was practically un-driveable. And if I remember right the dealership said over $3,000 and 3 weeks down time.

Bill, Mary, and Scottie
        2015 RAM 3500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin, SRW, Hensley BD-3 Hitch
        2017 AF 27-5L
        http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/719790.png

Comment

Yeah, deleting is a hot button topic, and all I can say is it works for me. It may not be for everyone.
          2017 Wolf Creek 850
          BoondockersWelcome Host

Comment

I agree deleting and emissions mandates are discussed quite extensively in many different venues and it seems to have some emotion behind it for some people. I am going to try and work with it and hope reliability gets better. Some Ag dealers have recommended deleting on some older equipment that have major reliability issues with the emissions systems. I am not quite sure why but one machine will be reliable and the next with the same technology will be a problem. A friend just did his combine but was told to do it now because there rules or rules are being put in place to stop companies from deleting.
            Steve & Brenda and Our Cocker Spaniel Bella
            2019 RAM Diesel Laramie Crew cab 4x4
            2017 Arctic Fox 25Y, Blue Ox Sway Pro, Lippert Center Point Suspension.

Comment

That is a good point Ste & Bre , without a doubt the early systems had issues. It is MUCH better nowdays and I'd be hesitant to buy an early DPF'd truck for sure....at the same time, I don't like buying trucks that have been modified. If mods are gonna be done, I want to be in control of it...

-Kyle
              2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
              • 4 pt Auto Level / 15k Single AC / 50 Amp (no Gen)
              • 3xFantastic Fans / 3xFantastic Covers
              • Sofa with Air Bed / Dinette / Slow Rise Shades
              • Factory 2" Receiver hitch
              • MODS
                • 195W Solar / Rear Camera / TPS / Flagpole Buddy / BMV-712
              2015 Chevy 3500 Dually LTZ
              • Duramax / B&W Turnover w/Companion / 40 Gal transfer tank.

Comment

Working...
              X