Idaho Tote or Freedom Hauler Experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idaho Tote or Freedom Hauler Experiences

I have for the last two years transported our motorcycle on back of 27-5l.I now want to go to heavier bike which I’m not comfortable putting the weight on the back.I have been researching options and I’m about to pull the trigger on a “Freedom Hauler” Idaho Tote.I was wondering if anybody has any experience with such and if so could you share “good and bad”.Thanks
    2017 27-5i,Solar,Generator,Deleted carpet,2000 watt Xandrex inverter,all the bells and whistles,Welded to frame motorcycle rack in rear, 2016 Ram 2500 Diesel,Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Looks like a nice well-built hauler...

I saw that the manufacturer says it's considered an 'extension' of the existing trailer, not a 'separate' trailer. You may want to call your local CHP office and see what they say.

Being from California, that added weight may bring up your total trailer weight, where you might have to have a 'Class A' non-commercial driver license to tow your 27-5L with the extension.
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Thanks Dave.I did talk with CHP and as far as “seperate trailer issue’ it falls very much in a grey zone.I showed pics to them and nobody would really commit to saying yes it is or no its not.The way he saw the law it would not be considered a seperate trailer due to the multiple connection points without any tongue movement therefore making it “rigid” mounted which falls under an extension.Good point on weight,I hadnt given that any thought.Do you know what it takes to fall under a Class A license?
      2017 27-5i,Solar,Generator,Deleted carpet,2000 watt Xandrex inverter,all the bells and whistles,Welded to frame motorcycle rack in rear, 2016 Ram 2500 Diesel,Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by LANNOY View Post
        Thanks Dave.I did talk with CHP and as far as “seperate trailer issue’ it falls very much in a grey zone.I showed pics to them and nobody would really commit to saying yes it is or no its not.The way he saw the law it would not be considered a seperate trailer due to the multiple connection points without any tongue movement therefore making it “rigid” mounted which falls under an extension.Good point on weight,I hadnt given that any thought.Do you know what it takes to fall under a Class A license?
        Trailer over 10,000lbs
        5th Wheel over 15,000lbs

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de..._htm/lic_chart
        Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Originally posted by RocklinDave View Post

Trailer over 10,000lbs
          5th Wheel over 15,000lbs

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de..._htm/lic_chart
          There is an odd exception. If the towing vehicle weighs more than 4000 lbs. and the trailer actually weight less than 9000 lbs. a regular license is good and a class A is not reqired.
          2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
          2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
          2018 Arctic Fox 29L; Traded in
          *2001 Arctic Fox 29V; Sold
          South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

You
            Last edited by timflood; 10-09-2019, 06:05 PM.
            Tim & Brenda - 2014 27-5L. 2018 F350 6.7 King Ranch Ford long bed - Viair-Twin 444s, 2, 2 1/2 gal. 200psi tanks. Andersen Ultimate aluminum Hitch. 4~6 T105 Trojans. 3.6 Onan LP Generator. -EU3000is Honda, Hard wired 500 Watt Xantrex True Sine - Dream Dinette. Winfield Stabilizers - MORryde SRE4000 - Monroe Gas-Magnum Shocks 555025. Fan-Tastic Fans Upgrade all Rooms - Fords onboard TPMs for trailer. Fords backup camera on AF sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by timflood View Post
              You might want to read the Basic C license part. Most people only have the C license
              I have read it and what I quoted is exactly what it says.
              2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
              South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzer10 View Post

There is an odd exception. If the towing vehicle weighs more than 4000 lbs. and the trailer actually weight less than 9000 lbs. a regular license is good and a class A is not reqired.
                How many HD Trucks are under 4000#? Zero by a long shot. My F350 crewcab full bed is over 8000#. I'm not even sure a 1/2 ton would be under 4000# so that is complently worthless unless you are using a miniSUV to haul a mini trailer.

A Ford F150 weighs: 4,069 to 5,697 lbs
                James and Cindy Krämer
                North Florida
                Arctic Fox 25Y
                2012 Ford F350 6.7L

Comment

The exception is for vehicles weighing more than 4000 lbs.
                  2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
                  South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

We have had an Idaho Tote for 5 years now and put many thousands of miles on it with no issues. We have it attached to Fox 29.5K and haul a Polaris RZR 900 on it. I have not taken it into California as I don't trust how they do things in that state. The only issue I have to watch out for is the tail swing when making sharp corners.
                    2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K and a 2004 Desert Fox 21SW. 2012 Ford F350 XLT Crew Cab 4X4 long box with 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel. Mine 2012 Polaris 850XP HO EPS, hers 2012 Polaris 550XP EPS.

Comment

With regard to the Class C California license and towing a fifth wheel; I noticed three words at the end of the "what you may tow with a Class C license" prior to us picking up our 27-5L that caused me concern...(if I remember properly, the 27-5L GVWR is 13,400 lbs)

With a vehicle weighing 4,000 pounds or more unladen, you may tow a:
                      • trailer coach not exceeding 9,000 pounds gross. (yeah - not a 27-5L Fifth Wheel)
                      • trailer coach or fifth-wheel travel trailer under 10,000 pounds GVWR when towing is not for compensation. (The 27-5l GVWR is 13,400 lbs so not this either)
                      • fifth-wheel travel trailer exceeding 10,000 pounds but not exceeding 15,000 pounds GVWR, when towing is not for compensation and with endorsement. (Ding! that's us)
                      *My* interpretation of that was that in order to tow our new 27-5L and to be fully compliant with the "and with endorsement" dealio, we needed to obtain that endorsement...Note: I reserve the right to be wrong with this interpretation...

In order to get that *endorsement* we had to retake the Class C written test, *AND* take a written NonCommercial Class A trailer test. Very bizarre. Worse yet, I thought it would be a good idea to do the "Real ID" thingy all at the same time. Ugh - it took 6 months (and two visits to the most excellent DMV office, and a fabulous phone conversation) for me to get a non-temporary license (Real ID) with the "endorsement" (which is actually listed as a "restriction"). The restriction is "41" on our spiffy new RealID-ized licenses. Go figure...

Gotta love California
                      Mikey and Marivic Bodie (and Thor the Wonderdog Golden Retriever)

2016 F-250 CCSB SRW KR 6.7 L Diesel, B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection, RideRite Air Helper Springs, Pressure Pro Fx TPMS

2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L, 30 Amp, 15K a/c, 4 pt Leveling System, Booth w/Dream Dinette, WiFi Extender, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C

Comment

You are correct but DMV doesn't know what your are requesting at some locations I've been to. I checked with the CHP and the office said that is something they never check. I made the comment that I'd bet 90% don't have it and he replied more like99-100%. It wasn't easy to get the DMV to do it correctly but I got the endorsement finally after two tries.

Of course it is what I expected from the California DMV.
                        Glen & Linda
                        2018 27-5L Arctic Fox,
                        2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD D/A 4X4 Ext Cab
                        Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch
                        Blogs: Ongoing: http://glelin-travels1.blogspot.com/
                        Alaska: http://glelin-travels.blogspot.com/

Comment

I am using the 9000 lbs. gross exception to tow my 25Y. Otherwise I would have all the hassle Mikey described plus a driving test with the trailer. I would have to find someone with a class A license to drive the rig to the test center.

I wish Northwood would change the GVWR to 9999 lbs. 401 lbs. is probable within the error of whatever method they use to come up with a GVWR.
                          2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
                          South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

Yeah, when we embarked on this Endorsement Adventure I knew in the back of my mind that this was not something that a vast majority of CHP officers knew about or bothered checking for. However, knowing *my* luck, the ONE CHP officer that insists on crossing every T and dotting every I - would be the one to pull me over.

Grizzer10 , The test was a written test - not a driving test - not really that bad.
                            Mikey and Marivic Bodie (and Thor the Wonderdog Golden Retriever)

2016 F-250 CCSB SRW KR 6.7 L Diesel, B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection, RideRite Air Helper Springs, Pressure Pro Fx TPMS

2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L, 30 Amp, 15K a/c, 4 pt Leveling System, Booth w/Dream Dinette, WiFi Extender, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyNMarivicInLincoln View Post
                              Grizzer10 , The test was a written test - not a driving test - not really that bad.
                              I have a trailer and if it were to exceed 9000 lbs. I would have to get a non commercial class A license which requires a driving test because the GVWR is 10,400 lbs. Neither of the first two points in post #11 would apply to me.

2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
                              South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

Working...
                              X