Extended warranty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended warranty

Does anyone have Good Sam extended warranty or have any information regarding it? Has anyone had problems with their Norcold refrigerator? Itís probably the most expensive thing to replace or get fixed on these trailers. That itself would make it worth it I feel.
    2006 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4, 6” RCD Lift, Airbags
    2009 29v Artic Fox
    Bay Area, CA

The three biggest priced appliance items in your RV are the refrigerator, furnace and air conditioner(s).

I haven't seen a post where a member has had to replace an entire appliance unit.

All of the issues that have been posted have been a relatively simple part failure / adjustment needed. I think the most expensive parts have been in the $150-$200 range + labor in some cases.

Most other items in your trailer are relatively low cost / uncomplicated DIY repairs / replacements.

There was a thread in the last couple of years, regarding the costs vs returns of an extended warranty.
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

We are on year #4, well past factory warranty. Honestly, there has been nothing after the 1st year that I would have considered "warranty work." But you never know. There are other full timers out there that would never be without an extended warranty.
      2016 Arctic Fox 32-5M, 300 watt Zamp Solar Kit, 30 Amp controller, 2 T105 Trojan 6 volts, 5.5 Onan LP Generator, 6pt leveling system, 2nd 13.5k A/C, Slide Toppers, Fireplace, King Bed, Central Vac. Hardwired Surge Guard Model 34560, rear view camera, clear entry door window,

2016 Ford F-450 Lariat. B&W Companion Hitch. Remax Bed Roll Cover, Bed Carpet.

Winter in Florida, traveling during the other seasons.

Comment

In over 20 years of owning various TT or Fifth Wheels, Iíve yet to have the need to replace any of the major items in those weíve owned. Iím a believer in the long run you are better to pocket the expense each year and be ready to pay any repair when needed and not wait for the warranty company to determine coverage.
        Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank, Magnum MSH3012M Inverter/Charger, Titan Disc Brakes, MorRyde SRE4000, JT Strongarms

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4, B&W Companion, 40 gal Transfer Flow Tank/Tool Box

Comment

We don't have Good Sam extended warranty, don't recall which one it is right now, but we did use ours. We realized one of the awning arms wasn't built correctly from the factory. I think I could have rigged up a fix that would have held up fine, but instead our RV dealer working with the extended warranty company got the arm replaced free to us. It would have been a $600+ dollar part plus labor if we had to pay for it. Or somewhat less with whatever fix I would have come up with. But, no charge to get the correct awning factory part was best.
          2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali 4x4 Diesel
          2017 Arctic Fox 22G.

Comment

Had an SOB TT for 2.5 years and nothing replaced. Had our FM 235 for 6 years and only had one RV dealer repair needed. It was just a small water leak from a bad connection part. We did have the water pump go out. NW sent me a new one since I was still under the two year warranty for the Shur Flow pump.
            Our new SOB TT may need some dealer work if I really want to push it. More on the lines of squeaks and a window that won't work properly.
            JMO but I would waste the money on an extended warranty unless I were not very mechanically minded. Almost everything can be fixed using You Tube and google.

For those reasons I never considered getting one with our new TT.
            2012 Ram 2500 CTD
            2013 Fox Mountain 235 RLS

Comment

Thank you everyone for your replies and help. Sounds like I have just gotten bad luck with my travel trailer that I got in the beginning of the year. One thing Iíve seen is most of you, if not all of you have t t or 5th wheels that are only 4 or less years old. Mine is basically 10 years old and sounds like the refrigerator cooling unit is going out and is over $1500 to have replaced. Not sure how many people that have older trailers have had any big problems or expenses like that. Or just I am the lucky one. I wonder if youíre alright for the first ten years of having trailer? But seems most upgrade to a newer one after so many years and never keep them that long. Iíve learned and next one I get will be a much newer one.
              2009 29v Artic Fox
              Bay Area, CA

Comment

Originally posted by 06 Sierra View Post
                Thank you everyone for your replies and help. Sounds like I have just gotten bad luck with my travel trailer that I got in the beginning of the year. One thing Iíve seen is most of you, if not all of you have t t or 5th wheels that are only 4 or less years old. Mine is basically 10 years old and sounds like the refrigerator cooling unit is going out and is over $1500 to have replaced. Not sure how many people that have older trailers have had any big problems or expenses like that. Or just I am the lucky one. I wonder if youíre alright for the first ten years of having trailer? But seems most upgrade to a newer one after so many years and never keep them that long. Iíve learned and next one I get will be a much newer one.
                My previous trailer was 19 years old when sold, and never had a furnace / refrigerator issue.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Originally posted by RocklinDave View Post

My previous trailer was 19 years old when sold, and never had a furnace / refrigerator issue.
                  Wow thatís great! Many times itís just luck in many things in life & I feel like I donít have much of it. Or when it matters the most. Did you buy it new? Always keep it maintained or just went about it like we all do. Just use it when you need & always know itís going to work. Guess the key word is. I been in it full time since March and not sure if that has made a difference or it doesnít matter? I just got mine used from a private party in January. It was my starter one and didnít want to spend too much money & not like that lifestyle. Since I been in it Iíve already wanted to a bigger one in a 5th wheel. Then this happens. Might hang onto this one for another year or two then upgrade.
                  2009 29v Artic Fox
                  Bay Area, CA

Comment

Before you purchase a contract item or subscription from Good Sam you should consider Camping World Holdings (CWH) stock has tanked from the mid to high 30s to as low as the $7 range and is currently around $9.50 with investment rating on it as a sell. There have been reports that CWH has cash flow problems and may need to file bankruptcy. That would make a extended warranty, road service, trip protection etc. useless

It may never happen but I once bought a extended warranty on new kitchen appliances from a dealer that had been in business for years. Three months later they went bankrupt and closed. Extended warranty was useless and the money spent for it was gone.

Just something to consider.
                    Glen & Linda
                    2018 27-5L Arctic Fox,
                    2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD D/A 4X4 Ext Cab
                    Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch
                    Blogs: Ongoing: http://glelin-travels1.blogspot.com/
                    Alaska: http://glelin-travels.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 06 Sierra View Post

Wow thatís great! Many times itís just luck in many things in life & I feel like I donít have much of it. Or when it matters the most. Did you buy it new? Always keep it maintained or just went about it like we all do...
                      Bought new - just routine maintenance (bearings, etc), replaced tires, brake shoes, battery, etc. over the years.

You are correct, many times it's just the 'luck of the draw'.

Comment

We have one of the older trailers on the forum and it has had no appliance problems except one easy adjustment to the refrigerator. However, in our 17 years of using it we have probably only about 50K miles on it. Only one repair might have been covered--our suspension--but since we didn't have the warranty I'll never know. I'd like to say it was because of really high maintenance by my husband, but that really isn't the case!
                        Linda & Dave (retired US Army) and Magic, the Yellow Lab Duck Dog
                        2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i, Les Schwab 105 6-volt batteries, Maxxis Tires, Torque Lift Steps
                        2017 RAM 2500 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4, CTD, 8' Bed, Granite Crystal, new 7/1/17
                        2018 Prius IV, new December 2018

Comment

Have to read the fine print. I had an extended warranty through a different company. A $7 part caused
                          and electrical problem that took out $2000 worth of electronics. The paid for the $7 part that failed, the
                          warranty did not cover "ancillary" damages.
                          Kim + Betsy
                          2017 AF 35-5Z
                          2017 F450 Lariat

Comment

Originally posted by nwtraveler View Post
                            Have to read the fine print. I had an extended warranty through a different company. A $7 part caused
                            and electrical problem that took out $2000 worth of electronics. The paid for the $7 part that failed, the
                            warranty did not cover "ancillary" damages.
                            Wow! With extended warranties really being an insurance policy that is the exact opposite of how site built homeowners policies work. Those usually donít cover the item that broke, but the resulting damage it causes.

Bet in your case the extended warranty was higher higher than the $7 part.
                            Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank, Magnum MSH3012M Inverter/Charger, Titan Disc Brakes, MorRyde SRE4000, JT Strongarms

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4, B&W Companion, 40 gal Transfer Flow Tank/Tool Box

Comment

We replaced the entire furnace on our 2015 AF within the second year we owned it. Fortunately x-warrantied. Complete failure of the unit while we were on the road. (And it was COLD!)

Have also replaced a defective set of windows (poorly installed, stripped screws, lack of proper sheathing) and its related effects, also under x-warranty. I think that was in year 3.

I would say that, in the more expensive range of repairs is the roof, from bad manufacturing and leaks that are impossible to find. Rust from crappy one-coat painting is another possible one.
                              2015 AF 25W
                              2015 Ford F350, 6.7l diesel
                              Blue Ox SwayPro (1,500 lb)
                              along with Wendy and Dobby, the Labradoodle house elf.

Comment

Working...
                              X