Problem Removing the AC Shroud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem Removing the AC Shroud

I went out today to install a Micro-Air start unit to my AC accompanied by Murphy.

The front two screws holding the AC shroud could not be turned by hand with a screwdriver. They must have been cross threaded and then tightened with a drill set to max torque. I was able to get one to turn by attaching a vice grip to the screwdriver but it will not come our and is still fairly hard to turn. At the point that I was considering a sawzall and a sledge hammer I decided to quit and look for advice.

Has this happened to anybody else and if so how did you solve it?

The shroud is made up of two parts that are connected by some sort of interlocking mechanism. There are about eight or so of them. Could half of the shroud be removed with the other half still attached? That might enable me to install the Micro-Air and leave the stuck screws for another day.

I could saw/grind the head of the screw off but then how to reassemble?

I found some parts diagrams on line and it appears that the screws go into some sort on insert in a sheet metal part. Maybe the insert can re removed and then a new one put in? Are helicoils available for this type of problem?

Any other advice is welcome.
    2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
    2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
    2018 Arctic Fox 29L; Traded in
    *2001 Arctic Fox 29V; Sold
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

Originally posted by Grizzer10 View Post
    I went out today to install a Micro-Air start unit to my AC accompanied by Murphy.

I found some parts diagrams on line and it appears that the screws go into some sort on insert in a sheet metal part. Maybe the insert can re removed and then a new one put in? Are helicoils available for this type of problem?

Any other advice is welcome.
    Sorry, no great advise on how to get the screws out, I would probably resort to drilling off the screw heads then dealing with the shanks once the shroud was down, might be able to grab the screw shank with a vise grip with no shroud.
    As far as how to repair, I don't think helicoils will be a option. There are pop nuts, like a pop rivet but with internal threads that you could use. Get the old insert out and then put in the pop nuts. There's a special rivet gun for them, but you can install them with just a threaded bolt and extra nut to compress them. Go to google and find some info on them.
    2016 Ram 3500 Longhorn: 4X4, Crew Cab, LB, DRW, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin, 3.73, Auto Level Rear Air Suspension, Reese 20k Elite Hitch, Amp Bedstep 2, Aero 70 Gal Underbed Fuel Tank
    2016 AF 27-5L: 10 Cu Ft Fridge, Thomas Payne Sofa w/air Mattress,15K AC, 2" Receiver, Victron Multiplus 3000 inverter with CCGX Color Control panel, BMV 712 Battery Monitor and Smart Solar MPPT 100|50 controller with 610W of Solar

Comment

Ya got an impact gun/driver? Trouble there might be it'll twist off without enough left to grab with a vise grip.
      BPofMD - Bud & Penny / Actively Retired Navy Vet
      2005 F250 6.0 - TorqLift Upper Overloads
      2007 Silver Fox 29-E 5th Wheel / Anderson Ultimate Hitch
      2015 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Comment

If you can get the old one out even if stripped you could replace the threads with a riv-nut of the correct size.
        Perfect for sheet metal to hold a screw.

Housted
        2015 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L CTD Tow Rig, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch.
        2011 Arctic Fox 29-5T 2010 Arctic Fox 29-5T on permanent site in the mountains - RIP 2006 AF 29V :-(
        https://picasaweb.google.com/1012172...eat=directlink
        Interests: White water Kayaking,Photography,Shooting,Reloading
        Avatar:Eastern Sierra along US395

Comment

I think removing the screws is hopeless. The one I got to turn, turns with difficulty, but does not back out. I suspect that I broke loose whatever insert is attached to the sheet metal to hold the screw.

I am going to call Coleman to see what they suggest.

Thanks for your replies.
          2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
          South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

Many shrouds are secured to the motor system frame via several screws along the bottom edge (just above the roof) of the shroud, tucked under the bottom edge lip.

I have never removed a Coleman a/c shroud, but perhaps the screws you are attempting to remove, were never designed to be loosened from the exterior.
            Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Originally posted by RocklinDave View Post
              I have never removed a Coleman a/c shroud, but perhaps the screws you are attempting to remove, were never designed to be loosened from the exterior.
              I have a 15K Air Conditioner and it sounds just like mine except for the problem removing the screws.
              Yes I have removed the top cover while inspecting things.

If pictures with my cover off would help I am willing.
              I would be grinding the heads off to get it off.
              2018 GMC 3500 SB diesel
              2017 Arctic fox 27-5l 50Amp 5.5 Gen, 4 6 volt, 450W solar,ARPrv,michelin xps,built in surge suppressor, Tank Heat Pads and 4 Point Leveling System

My 27-5l Manual

Comment

Originally posted by Art View Post

I have a 15K Air Conditioner and it sounds just like mine except for the problem removing the screws.
                Yes I have removed the top cover while inspecting things.

If pictures with my cover off would help I am willing.
                I would be grinding the heads off to get it off.
                Thanks. I just bought an impact screwdriver and will try again tomorrow. I will report back.

I tried to call Coleman but they don't want to talk to me. I held for an hour and then they hung up on me.
                2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
                South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

Be careful trying to grind the heads off, you may melt the plastic shroud from the heat generated by the grinding. Drilling the heads off maybe the way to go, and yes to riv-nuts to replace the damaged threaded inserts.
                  2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD Dually 6 liter Gas, DC, LB, 4.10's, 2016 AF 990

Comment

Here is what I have discovered so far that will probably lead to a solution.

I called Coleman and got through to a nice guy named Eric. He is sending me two new inserts free of charge. I haven't gotten them yet but I think they are like rivnuts that expand much like pop rivets when installed. He assures me that I can get the old ones off and that the sheet metal has not been damaged to the point where it will not accept new inserts.

I am not sure that is going to work out so I have a plan B and C.

Plan B is to use Allstar Performance threaded nut inserts: https://www.amazon.com/Allstar-Perfo.../dp/B00YJDZ2JS
                    They don't use the sheet metal to prevent them from turning and should work if the hexagonal hole necessary for the Hex shaped OEM inserts will not work. I will use a washer, top and bottom, if possible.

Plan C is to buy a new evaporator cover which I hope comes with the inserts. If not, I will have the ones Eric sends me. The cover is part no. 8333A5061 and I think costs about $50. Maybe it will be covered under warranty. I can't order it now because we are about to leave on a month long trip.

I will report back in a month or so.
                    2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
                    South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

Working...
                    X