Cleaning Awning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Awning

Someone gave a tip for cleaning the awning but its been awhile ago and I don't remember the product they used.. as I remember they sprayed it then rolled it up for an hour or so then unrolled & washed. I would really like to know product used. If someone can help I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks for any help.

Thank you. Will let you know how it turns out.

Comment

Don't leave us hanging! Did someone give you this magic solution? I must know immediately what it is! Just kidding - but please share when you know.

Originally posted by dkidd View Post
      Thank you. Will let you know how it turns out.
      Brian & Christi
      Calgary, Alberta, Canada
      2016 Arctic Fox 24J
      2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost Crew Cab Short Box 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaRVers View Post
        Don't leave us hanging! Did someone give you this magic solution? I must know immediately what it is! Just kidding - but please share when you know.

I ended up sending him a private message how I did it and maybe that's what the response is for. Seemed my membership expired before I got the renewal sent out so I couldn't reply here in the forum. But now I'm reinstated.

Here's what I wrote:

I recently cleaned my awning as follows -
        Note that I'm referring to the underside, the side we see when it is extended.

Extended the awning with the end at its lowest setting so it has a steep slope and is a bit easier to reach it all. Sprayed it down with water.
        Using a soft bristled brush on a long handle (like a push broom but softer) I used a bit of Dawn in some warm water and washed the underside. Rinsed it and let it mostly drip dry.

Sprayed the underside with a dilute solution of bleach and water. Rolled up the awning for an hour (Maybe less?) and then unrolled it. All clean!
        2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali 4x4 Diesel
        2017 Arctic Fox 22G.

Comment

Another method of applying the dilute bleach/water solution is from the roof of the trailer. You can pour the solution from a bucket or use a tank sprayer. Once you saturate the top of the awning roll it up. When unrolled you will find a spotless awning. I have done it from under and above, but prefer from above because I get less bleach on my shoes and jeans.
          2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Diesel, Automatic Four Wheel Drive Quad Cab
          2016 AF 25Y

Comment

Originally posted by craigandsue View Post
            Another method of applying the dilute bleach/water solution is from the roof of the trailer. You can pour the solution from a bucket or use a tank sprayer. Once you saturate the top of the awning roll it up. When unrolled you will find a spotless awning. I have done it from under and above, but prefer from above because I get less bleach on my shoes and jeans.
            Thanks for that simple solution for not ruining another set of cloths from the bleach dripping on them! Even though it was years ago I still feel the pain of ruining a two day old jacket when I did not realize the awning was dripping on me!
            Adam
            2007 Dodge 2500 Megacab 5.9 3.73 4X4 4SPD auto
            07 Arctic Fox 31W-BH 35' Hensley Hitch/Brake Smart Controller - Access site with Desktop win10 machine
            07 AF31W Mod's
            Previous trailer 03 Arctic Fox 29V

Comment

Interesting. I just used a spritz bottle and stood so the breeze would carry the spritz away from me. It took, surprisingly, very little spritz to get the bleach cleaning effect.
              2017 Arctic Fox 22G.

Comment

Maybe I over do it when applying the bleach solution
                Adam
                2007 Dodge 2500 Megacab 5.9 3.73 4X4 4SPD auto
                07 Arctic Fox 31W-BH 35' Hensley Hitch/Brake Smart Controller - Access site with Desktop win10 machine
                07 AF31W Mod's
                Previous trailer 03 Arctic Fox 29V

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                  Maybe I over do it when applying the bleach solution
                  Now, the soapy water I used beforehand I got good and wet. Definitely a heavy hand with that. LOL
                  2017 Arctic Fox 22G.

Comment

Originally posted by craigandsue View Post
                    I know I will instantly regret asking a stupid question but: how does spraying the top of the awning clean the bottom of the awning?

I'm an idiot ... arenít I ?
                    Brian & Christi
                    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
                    2016 Arctic Fox 24J
                    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost Crew Cab Short Box 4X4

Comment

AlbertaRVers, when itís rolled up it then gets the underneath side wet and in contact with the solution. Just like rain.

One warning, if you have camped under evergreens and put the awning away to break camp it needs unrolled and hosed off when you get home. Made the mistake one time of not doing that, months later I had all these needle marks that I could never get off the awnings underside. Solved it when it was traded for our first 5er
                      Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank, Titan Disc Brakes, MorRyde SRE4000

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

Iíve used the bleach method before, but I wonder if a solution of any decent cleaner when rolled up for an hour or two might work. Wow, I did that in one sentence.
                        Mark and Anita
                        2012 AF 22H dutifully following a 2014 F-350 diesel SB

Comment

Originally posted by ProfQuinn View Post
                          Iíve used the bleach method before, but I wonder if a solution of any decent cleaner when rolled up for an hour or two might work. Wow, I did that in one sentence.
                          My guess is no. The bleach kills things like mold and mildew and also removes color from things so not sure a detergent would provide those features.
                          2017 Arctic Fox 22G.

Comment

I have been watching this feed and have read ones in past posts. I really like the idea of cleaning the underside first and then appyling the bleach/water ratio. I have a couple of questions... 1). What is the bleach/water ratio. 2). Will this bleach/water solution fade out the top side of the awning??
                            2005 Dodge Diesel 3500: 5.9L Cummins Turbo-Diesel, 3.73 4WD 4SPD SRW, quad cab, long bed, B&W Companion Hitch. Rebuilt tranny, PakBrake Exhaust Brake, PakBrake Airbags w/ Wireless remote fill.

2017 Arctic Fox 27 5L: 4-Point Leveling System, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 30amp surge protector, Slide-Toppers, 2" Receiver, TPMS TST 507, ARP Controller, Sailun G rated tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Copper865 View Post
                              I have been watching this feed and have read ones in past posts. I really like the idea of cleaning the underside first and then appyling the bleach/water ratio. I have a couple of questions... 1). What is the bleach/water ratio. 2). Will this bleach/water solution fade out the top side of the awning??
                              In my 1 qt, or so, spray bottle I put about an inch (maybe?) of bleach and the rest water. Not very strong at all. As far as fading the top? Probably not in the amount of time it's in contact with the bleach solution. I imagine since the awning is synthetic it likely would take a lot of time in contact with bleach for any fading to occur. It'll likely fade from the sun before bleach has any effect. Bleach seems to have a stronger effect on natural (biologic?) things than synthetics, especially at that sort of dilution.
                              2017 Arctic Fox 22G.

Comment

Working...
                              X