Please Visit Our Sponsors

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Trip is in the books. Also saw something I've never seen before.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Trip is in the books. Also saw something I've never seen before.

Picked up our trailer on Saturday. Between my checklist and the Techs, we spent 4 hours doing the PDI. I was really impressed that they had NO issues with the amount of time taken. They had been prepping the trailer during the past week to make sure everything would be flawless; they did a REALLY good job.

Really happy with the BlueOx hitch we went with. I had them put on the 1500# bars, reading a few other people's feedback on the hitch, it seemed that when tanks were full people were overloading the 1000# bars. Towed great; could feel it working in the 20mph winds we had while towing this weekend.

Went to a campground with full hookups to do a shake down/test of everything. A little trim piece is loose (cloth abrasion panel on the dinette), that's easy enough for me to fix without bothering anyone about it.

Family had a blast, even the dogs had a good time. Was happy our newer dog travels well, the older dog did a 4,000 mile road trip with us a few years ago in the trailer we rented.

On the way back home, I saw something that made me do a double take...

I see a huge motor coach towing a Jeep behind it. Iím about a quarter mile behind it when I see the Jeep act like itís going to pass the tow vehicle. It was still attached to the tow vehicle but something was wrong; the Jeep was all over the road. The middle of the jeep was into the opposing lane, moving right and left.
    I change lanes (away from him) to get over and started to pass him. The tow mechanism had broken and the Jeep was held on by a wire (tow lights). As I honk my horn and point backwards at the driver, the wires gave and the Jeep left the highway to the right of the Motorhome down into the desert. Motorhome stopped fast, I figured everything was as good as it could be in the situation, until the Jeep took a hard left and headed back towards the highway. Luckily it hit the side of the Motorhome and didnít make it back into traffic on the highway.

Stopped and checked on them. Shook up, but they were fine. That was nuts.

Turned out the cross pin in their tow hitch sheared off. I can only imagine how bad it could have been if the other drivers on the highway (busy highway, 75mph) would have hit that jeep as it crossed back over.

Got the trailer home, cleaned out all the food and what not. Took it to storage until the next trip!

With all that said, question. On other trailers, I've seen a little plastic device used to hold the fridge open when the trailer is in storage. I've only seen it on fridges where the latch is on the side of the door. Our fridge has a latch on the top of the door, and the bottom of the freezer door -- do we just swing them all the way open so that they don't start smelling, or is there something else we should be doing?
    '19 Nash 26N (http://milesfromdone.com/category/rv/ - mods & projects)

Glad it went well. We usually grab anything: door stops, rolls of tape, anything to prop the doors open a couple inches so they donít develop a smell.
    Mark and Anita
    2012 AF 22H dutifully following a 2014 F-350 diesel SB

Comment

We use split hollow swim noodle pieces slipped over the top of the fridge door and the bottom of the freezer door.

Housted
      2015 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L CTD Tow Rig, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch.
      2011 Arctic Fox 29-5T 2010 Arctic Fox 29-5T on permanent site in the mountains - RIP 2006 AF 29V :-(
      https://picasaweb.google.com/1012172...eat=directlink
      Interests: White water Kayaking,Photography,Shooting,Reloading
      Avatar:Eastern Sierra along US395

Comment

Originally posted by Carbine View Post
        ... I've seen a little plastic device used to hold the fridge open when the trailer is in storage. I've only seen it on fridges where the latch is on the side of the door. Our fridge has a latch on the top of the door, and the bottom of the freezer door -- do we just swing them all the way open so that they don't start smelling, or is there something else we should be doing?...
        Our Norcold refrigerator also has the latches on the top frig & bottom freezer doors.

If you open each door and look at the end where the latches are, there's a small plastic pin (ours is grey) visible.

If you extend the latch handle as if opening the door, it will allow you to pull that pin outward.

The pin prevents the door from closing fully during storage.
        Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Ok, that pin thing is neat, I'll have to check that out next time I'm at the trailer. Going to bring it home next weekend to install the EMS and a few other things.

Comment

Our fridge is on the side so when stored and the fridge is off I open both doors fully so wide open. Never had a mold issue.

Enjoy your new rig!
            Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank, Titan Disc Brakes, MorRyde SRE4000

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

I tow a Jeep with the motorhome and the setup you described doesn't make sense. My tow bar set up, Blueox, attaches to the motorhome in the class III receiver and has a hitch immobilizer on it. Big U bolt. Attaches to the Jeep with 2 machines steel pins and quick release cinch pins. Additionally, there are 2 woven wire safety cables, mine are 10K rated attaching the Jeep to the coach. There also is the wiring harness but it wouldn't hold anything and last is my brake "break-away" wire which activates the Jeep brakes IF the switch were to be pulled which would happen if all the other attaching points failed. That's the proper way to attach a tow not saying everyone does the correct thing. Yes he, and you too being as close as you were, were very lucky.

EDIT; I wipe the refer down after a trip because condensation and frost develops. Our trips are 2+ months so lot of frost can develop. I don't rely on evaporation to be enough. ALWAYS leave the doors open for ventilation.
              2007 motorhome, 2012 Wrangler "toad", SOB 5th wheel (SOLD and awaiting replacement 29-5T???), 2017 Ram 3500

Comment

Briefly looking at his setup, it looked like they spent as little as possible on the hitch/towing system. Who knows how long it had been "on the cables" - the receiver mount/ball looked WELL worn and frankly, like he didn't take care of it.

Hopefully it was an expensive lesson learned for him to take better care of his gear/use better gear. Who knows. I'm used to seeing some pretty sketchy tow setups on I-10/Arizona. Frequently you will see trucks towing 30+' trailers (including toy haulers) with no weight distribution/sway control on F150s, 1500's, Tundras and Titans. Their nose is pointed in the air and you wonder how long before they have a catastrophic "incident."

Comment

Working...
                X