BC Drivers beware.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC Drivers beware.

BC Canada requires a special license to tow anything over 4600kg’s. For RVers with a trailer over 4600kg’s, at a minimum you require a “House Trailer Endorsement”. From ICBC website: “House trailer endorsements are required on any class 4 or 5 driver's licence if you plan to tow a house trailer weighing more than 4,600 kg, fully loaded.” Also from ICBC: “It is your responsibility to ensure you have the appropriate driver's licence and driving skills for the trailer you're towing. If you don't have the proper licence, you may be in breach of your insurance policy in the event of a crash. Your insurance claim may be denied, including claims for your own injuries, or damage that you might cause to your vehicle, or to other people or property. You may then be responsible for paying these costs. Need more information? Call 1-800-950-1498 or go to icbc.com.”

I was never made aware of this requirement. Not by the dealer, not by the insurance people or anywhere else for that matter. It is a two part process, knowledge test and road test. Once you pass the knowledge test you must drive with a “supervisor” until you pass a road test.

I wonder how many people in BC are like me, ignorant to this requirement and potentially in jeopardy of having an insurance claim rejected in the unfortunate case of an accident. I’m quite angry that the dealer was happy to keep me in the dark and the insurance people made no note about it even though they require my drivers license to complete the insurance process every year.

I’ve passed the knowledge test and now have to make an appointment and find a “supervisor” to come with me to take my unit to the test facility for the road test.

2016 27-5L, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 900 watts solar, Victron 100/50MPPT, Multiplus, BMV712, CCGX, 300ah lithium.
    2019 GMC 3500 DMax SRW

It's the same way here in California. 5th wheels over 10k lbs GVWR and up to 15k lbs GVWR require an endorsement on your Class C license, which is just a written test. 5th wheels over 15k GVWR require the Non Commercial Class A license, which includes a written test, and a driver pre-trip inspection test, and a road test with your trailer. Travel Trailers over 10K GVWR also require the Non Commercial Class A License.

Most owners are unaware of these requirements, and also are not told about them when purchasing the Trailers.
    Rich

2016 Chevrolet 3500HD LT Dually 4x4 DMax/Allison, B&W RVK 3700, Extreme Air Onboard Air Compressor
    2014 Arctic Fox 29 5T, TST 507 Tire Pressure Monitor, Honda 2000i Generator, Sailun S637 G Tires, Titan Disc Brakes

Semper Fi USMC 1981 - 1985

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/548548.png

Comment

Does Canada honor US "legality"? IE: if I'm good where I am, am I good there as well?

-Kyle
      2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
      • 4 pt Auto Level / 15k Single AC / 50 Amp (no Gen)
      • 3xFantastic Fans / 3xFantastic Covers
      • Sofa with Air Bed / Dinette / Slow Rise Shades
      • Factory 2" Receiver hitch
      • MODS
        • 195W Solar / Rear Camera / TPS / Flagpole Buddy / BMV-712
      2015 Chevy 3500 Dually LTZ
      • Duramax / B&W Turnover w/Companion / 40 Gal transfer tank.

Comment

There is a bizarre exception to the Calif. rules about travel trailers. A vehicle with a gross weight over about 4000 lbs. can pull a travel trailer weighing less than 9000 lbs. regardless of GVWR. So I am OK with my 10,400 lbs GVWR trailer as long as it weighs less than 9K lbs.
        2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
        2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
        2018 Arctic Fox 29L; Traded in
        *2001 Arctic Fox 29V; Sold
        South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

I moved to BC from the US ~5 years ago, so I happened to find some of the strange BC trailer rules that BC natives have never heard of. I really wanted a 14K GVWR flatbed trailer for yard use until I learned that I'd have to get periodical medical tests, regardless of the actual laden weight of the trailer when I used it. So I'll be staying under 10K GVWR when I get a utility trailer.

Also, trailers above 2,800 kg/6,160 lb are not allowed to have surge brakes. I converted my 10K boat trailer to electric-over-hydraulic brakes before I realized that 99% of the boat trailers I see over 2,800 kg have surge brakes and are somehow licensed in BC.

I really wonder if they enforce those rules at all, or if they're just a convenient free pass for the BC insurance industry.
          2017 Arctic Fox 25Y
          Chassis: Firestone Transforce HT LT225/75-16, Blue Ox SwayPro 1500, EezTire TPMS, BAL 28217 recessed tire carrier, 30K miles
          Electrical: EMS-HW30C surge protector, 600W solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron MPPT 100/50, Victron MultiPlus 3000, Fullriver 415 Ah AGM

2013 Silverado 2500HD LML Duramax, manual 4x4, crew cab, std box, 119K miles

Comment

Originally posted by Chakara View Post
            Does Canada honor US "legality"? IE: if I'm good where I am, am I good there as well?

-Kyle
            Originally posted by Grizzer10 View Post
            There is a bizarre exception to the Calif. rules about travel trailers. A vehicle with a gross weight over about 4000 lbs. can pull a travel trailer weighing less than 9000 lbs. regardless of GVWR. So I am OK with my 10,400 lbs GVWR trailer as long as it weighs less than 9K lbs.
            OK, he said, she said. Go to the sources.

British Columbia - If you are a visitor, you can drive in B.C. for up to six months with a valid driver’s licence from your country. If you have an International Driving Permit, you must also carry the accompanying foreign licence.

California Basic Class C License - If your tow vehicle weighs 4,000# or more unladen, you may tow a 5th-wheel travel trailer exceeding 10,000 lbs. but not exceeding 15,000 lbs. GVWR, when towing is not for compensation.

Back to morning brew . . .
            2019 27-5L
            Companion Hitch
            2015 RAM 3500 LB Crew Cab SRW Aisian

Retired
            '03 24-5N (w/~80k miles)
            '03 RAM 2500 LB Crew Cab 6sp manual

Comment

Originally posted by CalCamper View Post

OK, he said, she said. Go to the sources.

California Basic Class C License - If your tow vehicle weighs 4,000# or more unladen, you may tow a 5th-wheel travel trailer exceeding 10,000 lbs. but not exceeding 15,000 lbs. GVWR, when towing is not for compensation.
              Yes, but there is also the statement that if your vehicle weighs 4000 lbs or more you can tow a travel trailer weighing less than 9000 lbs. I carry a copy of that regulation in my truck so I can show it if required. I suspect it would only be necessary if there was a serious accident, but then how would the weight of the trailer be determined if it were in pieces.

I wonder why Northwood doesn't reduce the GVWR to 10000 lbs. from 10400 lbs. That would make a Class C license OK no matter what the trailer weighed.

Here is the DMV regulation: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...dl648/dl648pt2
              2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
              South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzer10 View Post

Yes, but there is also the statement that if your vehicle weighs 4000 lbs or more you can tow a travel trailer weighing less than 9000 lbs.
                Yes, Griz, I left that out probably because I'm so 5th Wheel centric. My apologies. I'll try to be more specific in the future, or be more aware of the RV the person I'm responding to has.

2019 27-5L
                Companion Hitch
                2015 RAM 3500 LB Crew Cab SRW Aisian

Retired
                '03 24-5N (w/~80k miles)
                '03 RAM 2500 LB Crew Cab 6sp manual

Comment

No problem. This is a strange, unknown part of CA law that makes no sense. It could keep someone from the hassle of getting a Class A license and that was why I wanted to tell everyone here. I haven't talked to anyone who was aware of it. I made a copy for my dealer who didn't know about it.
                  2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
                  South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

When I got my 32A, I called AF and asked if the GVWR could be changed to 10000 Lbs since this rating is completely up to the manufacturer. AF refused and said that they would not change the 10400 ratings even though this may cost them sales in the state with the largest population. No reason given....
                    2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 8.1 Liter Gas Engine, 4X4, 12,000 Tow Rating
                    2015 Arctic Fox 32A (4) 6-Volt Batteries, Fireplace

Comment

Working...
                    X