Gnats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gnats

Anyone else annoyed buy them nasty gnats that come & go. Its usually only a couple here and there that I kill with fly swapper. But this weekend was gone from RV came back & there was a lot of them. How can you get rid of them & keep them from coming back? Thank you for your help. Happy Monday! Have a good day & week.
    Luis L
    2006 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4, 6” RCD Lift, Airbags
    2009 29v Artic Fox
    Bay Area, CA

Do you know how they are getting in?

We had an issue with mosquitoes entering our trailer, while away for the day and at night.

Drove us crazy, until the wife saw them entering through the Fantastic Vent, between the frame and interior garnish trim.

Here's our solution:

https://www.nroa2003.com/forum/forum...to-entry-point
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

We have mosquitos here in May and June. No gnats though. I was just in Utah and even though it is very dry in the rock canyons, there are tons of gnats at certain times of years. They even sell face covers in the outdoor stores there that are specifically for the gnats. Guess insects find a way to thrive in any climate. I did notice that when opening and closing the sliding windows in our TT it is easy to move the screen a bit. That allows a space along one edge that the buggers find and get in. So have gotten into the habit of checking the screens every time I slide open a window.
      2001 F-350 V-10 4X4 CC 68,000 miles. Added Larger Transmission Cooler, Rear View Camera, ScanGauge II.
      2018 Nash 26N. 540W Solar, 2nd Bathroom Medicine Cabinet, Progressive Industries EMS, Two Recliners,
      2015 Nash 17K Previous

Let's Go Geocaching!

Comment

Originally posted by RocklinDave View Post
        Do you know how they are getting in?

We had an issue with mosquitoes entering our trailer, while away for the day and at night.

Drove us crazy, until the wife saw them entering through the Fantastic Vent, between the frame and interior garnish trim.

Here's our solution:

https://www.nroa2003.com/forum/forum...to-entry-point
        Think they were coming in through vent fan in the bathroom. I closed it yesterday and havenít noticed any more in RV. Thats were I noticed a few of them flying around around the fan onSunday evening when had enough of them. I had seen a few of them here and there before this time, but not this many. Lots of articles online talk about them coming in from vent pipe on roof & hangout in black tank & come out when you flush toilet. But I havenít noticed any coming from there or from shower drain. So I figured itís through the bathroom vent as it mightíve a tiny bit bigger holes on screen than the other screens on other fans possibly. Couldnít see any holes around vent or cracks where they could sneak by. Thank you for your help. Have a nice day.
        Luis L
        2006 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4, 6” RCD Lift, Airbags
        2009 29v Artic Fox
        Bay Area, CA

Comment

Originally posted by 06 Sierra View Post
          ... Think they were coming in through vent fan in the bathroom... Couldnít see any holes around vent or cracks where they could sneak by...
          This is the area where we found bugs coming in. Caulking (clear silicone) that area solved our issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fan.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	290528

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Originally posted by RocklinDave View Post

This is the area where we found bugs coming in. Caulking (clear silicone) that area solved our issue.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fan.jpg Views:	0 Size:	14.6 KB ID:	290528
            I guess I am not the only one that thought about caulking that. I was more concerned with vibration as the plastic is now extremely thin on the new shroud. Just figured it might start to rattle like a guitar string if I didn't caulk it.
            2019 Nash 24B (bunk) located in a city trailer park,
            on PG&E shoulder/peak electric rate...Yikes
            Two 6 volt GC batteries (2019)
            Two135 watt Kyocera solar panels (2013?)
            Blue Sky Systems 30 amp charge controller (2019)

Comment

Originally posted by welding guy View Post

I guess I am not the only one that thought about caulking that. I was more concerned with vibration as the plastic is now extremely thin on the new shroud. Just figured it might start to rattle like a guitar string...
              No rattling, etc.

If anything, the caulking firmed things up between the fan frame and interior garnish.

Comment

You are lucky to be in the part of the country that gnats only briefly appear. I live in south AL and when it warms they are there. Being in the south, warm is prevalent. Furthermore just a bit south in NW FL there are "no-see-ums". Basically like gnats only smaller with bigger teeth. Even a cool weather critter. GF has a bay property that we keep an SOB trailer and sitting on the dock can be an exercise in swatting. They don't fly well so any wind is a relief. We're currently in eastern OR and enjoying the lack of bugs.
                2007 motorhome, 2012 Wrangler "toad", SOB 5th wheel (SOLD and awaiting replacement 29-5T???), 2017 Ram 3500

Comment

Will share what we do in our B&S home as well as the camper if needed. Use the sugar based ---old fashioned----antifreeze in a non porous or wide mouthed low container. Those red-solo plastic plates work well!!!!!!! The more surface the better but small vessels work as well. Do not use the environmental friendly antifreeze as it does not contain the sweetness that flies-gnats-fruit flies like. Of course if you have a cat they are climbers so it would not work as it is poisoness to animals. Also you have to remember to cover when you move or there will be spill. It works great if you do not mind the work and care needed!!!!! Have used it for years after I saw how the flies gathered and died around the 50 gallon drums that the guys used to winterize the heavy equipment out in the field years back. I dislike spraying and living in chemical treated areas and this is not as intrusive as those. Just need to be very careful with animals and children if they are in the area and would have access it is definitely not a solution!
                  But in our 29-5T it is high on top of kitchen cabinets and above the bathroom vanity mirror and takes care of the problem enough that is all I put out!!!!

Comment

The best way I have found to take care of the gnats/mosquitoes already inside is to use one of those small handheld vacuum's. 120V if you have hookups or 12V if you don't. No bug splatter and they typically cannot escape the dust/debris catcher on the vacuum.
                    Here in the Pacific Northwest, I annually see "clouds" of gnats outside so thick that you can hear the audible hum from thousands of them in flight.
                    2017 Arctic Fox 992 Truck Camper
                    2005 Ford F350, 6.0 Diesel, Crew Cab, 4x4, Manual Trans
                    Honda EU2000i Generator
                    River Wild 16' Drift Boat, 9.9 Honda Outboard
                    Stillwater Trout Fly Fisherman

Comment

Working...
                    X